IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Just my 2 French centimes:

I've been following the Amico thread very closely, and at first I had concerns too. I even published a long editorial at my retrogaming web site about it (Flo has read it), where I mentioned Kevtris' concerns for example. But between the moment I started to work on it and the moment I published it, things have changed a lot. I really didn't like how some early concerns were ignored based on the author being suspected to be a hater, even though I admit some views were not expressed in a very subtle way sometimes. But things went better afterwards, mainly after the Pat & Ian affair calmed down. Maybe it was partially thanks to bans, but I feel like both times Flo was banned were a bit unfair for example - at least as far as I've understood both situations.

The only thing that bugs me is the occasional Switch bashing that seems a bit pointless, especially when Nintendo fanboys are accused of blindingly defending their system; at least they're defending something they actually own. ;) When you look closely, there are in fact only 2-3 guys who are just a little too obsessive about the Amico, and they're just louder than the rest as usual. Like someone else said above, I don't think mods are paid or whatever, but "celebrities" tend to be treated differently (by everyone, some will precisely try to provoke them to feel brave or anything) and I can't blame anyone for that.

What makes sometimes things worse is that Tommy Tallarico will answer to literally everything. I applaud him for that but:

- since he answers every post, sometimes he answers to attacks that are not directed at him

- since he answers in a methodical, chronological fashion, he sometimes attacks back doubters that calmed down inbetween, which tends to stir the situation up alas

I'm still on the fence about the system itself. I like the philosophy but I'm not fond of 2,5D graphics, and I'll probably wait to try the games to decide. But I think the FE affair went too far. I mean, CollectorVision also took preorders for the Phoenix and I don't remember that much backlash - yet it was a lot more risky. Plus these preorders are refundable so I don't really see how it's that much different of any preorder for any game system. I admit Tommy went sometimes too far himself, but usually after being provoked. By the way, I think I already accused some of you to be a little paranoid sometimes in this very thread. ;)

That's all for today. If something I've written has upset you, before answering, please remember that English is not my native language and you may have misunderstood what I really meant. I'm sure we actually agree more than you think. ^^

Edited by roots.genoa
Added analysis of TT's answering method
  • Like 10

This is what happens when no news is good news, we start chatting about other shite and turning on each other. 

No news is all ataris grand plan to destroy us. 

Also, that last video demo exclusive from a couple of days ago is hilarious, no demo, pre recorded footage at painful fps and now we're being told it's not a console. Flip flop flip flop! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Hey, I know I'm not well liked by some now, so I'll try to keep this brief.

Folks love to get into their tribal thinking. They tend to assume things are either black or white. Either you are with us or against us. Either you're fully supportive of some new product pitch, or you're a "hater" assuming it's a scam. Why is it that anyone who expresses doubt about wildly optimistic claims from people selling you stuff is peeing in your punch bowl? Why is it that reasonable doubt is most despised when facts begin to justify those doubts that some people actively disregard? (i.e. when projected prices keep rising or pure, well intended information exchange gives way to appeals for money.)

Historian has shown himself to be a pretty stand up guy over time, and I bet he's learned a lot about some of the folks he was working or volunteering for. He maintains a civil tone most of the time, has a sense of humor, doesn't expect anything he claims to be taken as fact just because he says it, and was able to make some well reasoned, evidence based arguments in support of his claims while he was working these boards in a commercial/professional capacity for Atari gameband and/or Ataribox. He had better, because if he comes into a community forum to do a commercial pitch, he better have more than his words or opinions to justify his claims to coerce folks into handing over money. Otherwise, the company has their own commercial venues for their deliberate sales appeals where they get to control their message. I suggested the notion of a site sponsorship being a factor, not because of a conspiracy theory, but because it would be the decent thing to do if one is intent on turning an open discussion into a sales pitch, and actually contributing in that case might lend some credibility to their claims and inspire more patience from the community. It sure beats using the community resource for commercial gains and soliciting allies or coworkers to participate in silencing or diluting any dissenting opinions. (By that I mean other, often brand new forum members hovering over the report button and whining to mods)

Finally, while fans love to get polarized and declare anyone with doubts are assuming everything is a deliberate scam, let me point something out that should be obvious to everyone. What people with doubts have always been suggesting about all these retro "me too" product appeals is that they look to be a house of cards stacked up on computer renders, embellishments, wild claims, inexperience, and little fact or transparency. Until they can demonstrate legitimacy of thier claims, why do they deserve our adoration, faith or money?

And for the record, the doubters have been consistently right with these retro startups. They are at least 3 and 0.

1. RetroVGS - Failure, deception, incompetence

2. GameBand - Failure, deception, incompetence, lost money

3. AtariVCS - Deception, incompetence, protracted delays, lost money and/or outright failure pending.

4. ???

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, JBerel said:

Finally, while fans love to get polarized and declare anyone with doubts are assuming everything is a deliberate scam, let me point something out that should be obvious to everyone. What people with doubts have always been suggesting about all these retro "me too" product appeals is that they look to be a house of cards stacked up on computer renders, embellishments, wild claims, inexperience, and little fact or transparency. Until they can demonstrate legitimacy of thier claims, why do they deserve our adoration, faith or money?

We all agree with that but blaming Tommy Tallarico for a lack of transparency would seem a little unfair, then. O_o

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

That is, without a doubt, the stupidest idea ever.  Atari just needs to die.  There, I said it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, toiletunes said:

Chicken fajita stir fry with assorted peppers, served on grilled flour tortillas taco style with salsa and sour cream.

20200122_185701.jpg

20200122_183953.jpg

Looks awesome!

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

Uh what?

32 minutes ago, Paul Slocum said:

Then again, maybe "Atari" fans are stupid enough that this could actually work!

1375451423_Screenshot2020-01-2405_37_20.thumb.png.648a524eb21dc68a101d256cbd97f8db.png

Oh for franks sake...

?

• Like 2

Footbath posts are still gone. Disappointing.

Satire happens when subjects are verboten but also when they are mockworthy.  This was both.  Users here routinely mock the Atari Jaguar for looking like a toilet.  If your new console reminds people of a footbath, don't blame them.  

As far as I can remember, the "Mods in the back pocket" crap was started by Jaybird.  Posts have been hidden and my memory could be failing me, but I think it's important to state.  @JBerel 's writings two posts up from that only asks what a YouTuber was given to so radically change his mind.  Nothing about mods was mentioned.  

Of course things may have escalated after banning in Amico thread.  I remain convinced some bannings were unjustified.  That's when Jaybird's "back pocket" idea creeps in and, like @The Historian , we might wonder about the special treatment.  I'm a little sad TT is not sponsoring his thread. ? I can also appreciate that mods are as fallible as we mere mortals, even if a mod won't admit as much.

And lastly, we did not run TT off.  We even told him we appreciated his viewpoint!   He finally met some very mild resistance then threw a fit and took his toys home.  One thing you'll find in common with most of his "haters" is how  we say he seems to be doing a lot right.  Weird.

Anyway, I'm sure @CPUWIZ wanted this discussion to end with his post.  I'm truly sorry for continuing it, and if he feels it should be deleted then so be it.  I am grateful for the hard work all of the mods, including Jaybird, put into keeping the ship afloat.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I dunno. Of all the stupid stuff they've done, this ain't the worst. An Asteroid(s) or Space invaders room could be cool if done well. Though, thoughts of that Human Centipede room would keep me up. The question would be will people who care about the theme be inclined to stay there? Maybe? 

Image result for blocky hotels

ca478e00-hotel-room-6.jpg

7da840cb-hotel-room-7.jpg

8f24a664-hotel-room-12.jpg

Image result for spongebob hotel

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, JBerel said:

I dunno. Of all the stupid stuff they've done, this ain't the worst. An Asteroid(s) or Space invaders room could be cool if done well. Though, thoughts of that Human Centipede room would keep me up. The question would be will people who care about the theme be inclined to stay there? Maybe? 

Image result for blocky hotels

ca478e00-hotel-room-6.jpg

7da840cb-hotel-room-7.jpg

8f24a664-hotel-room-12.jpg

Image result for spongebob hotel

What about a human cannonball room?

?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 1/14/2020 at 12:00 PM, PlaysWithWolves said:

Dan Ackerman played Missile Command on the E3 CNET video (about ~2:58).  Just wait and see!

3:06 I see black lines on MS. Pac-Man.

They supposed to show the qualities of this machine, not its weaknesses.

• Like 2

Atari isn't really doing the hotel, of course. It's just another licensing agreement: this time to True North Studio of Phoenix, Arizona.

Pretty peachy sign-on deal for Atari, too:

According to the agreement, Atari will be entitled to 5% of the revenue of these hotels and has received a non-refundable advance of 0.6 million US$ at signing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

?

Some of you are the oldest juveniles I have ever come across, but I am not going to complain.  I got no room to talk, bitches.

God help us when we're not. Then it's nothing but Preparation H, the Sunday Morning show, counting our social security checks, talking into a mirror and falling for Retro game system telemarketing scams. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7