IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Anyone know what this thing is yet? Still sounds like PC retro emulation for idiots plus Steam, except maybe all streaming. I also once heard rumours of it having some contracted playstation 4 and xbox one x streaming, all in Taco-Vision, which means it will flash a taco every 20th frame and spray taco-flavored nebulized gas into a respirator on your face.

no, that is why the horde is running wild

the only thing we know is, AMD, LINUX (which the sheer mention of linux outside of nerd circles will send linux nuts to their room's with awkward stains on their pants) shiny controllers, and TACO's!

• Like 1

This just ini!

It has been revealed that the vents in the AtariBox are designed for a special custom Atari/AMD collaboration on the Taco-Processing chip. It releases the smell of Tacos. In fact, the entire AtariBox is just an air freshener!

post-16458-0-95330400-1512216512_thumb.jpg

post-16458-0-51456000-1512216522.jpg

They even both come in wood grain.

The Historian,

If I found a project I was passionate about and thought I may be able to influence, I'd be tempted to volunteer too. The last time I did--despite warnings from other AA members--it didn't fare out well, but it was my time to give.

It wouldn't surprise me to find even the most-hardcore critic still would enjoy seeing a new console with the Atari name and Fuji. More so, if Atari can figure out a way to innovate. But so many red flags. So many red flags. And ultimately, I still believe Atari's crowdfunding campaign will meet funding goals.

They are no masters of mine.

Even Masters of the Universe succumb to tacos.

post-39941-0-08235700-1512218128_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I'm leaning towards the Toy Fair.

That's feb 17-20. Atari is in NY so that would be easy for them to just go across town. (BTW: If they are so hard up on cash just move to Orlando. It's 1/3 the cost to live and the state of FLorida would pay them to do hear. Each year EA sports/Tiburon gets millions per year. They could take those millions and pay developers to make original games for the system).

Here's and older article I found.

http://www.sentinelsource.com/news/video-game-firm-helps-to-write-florida-tax-laws-saves/article_3ef5efa4-ef87-5638-bfc1-152e61957bee.html

ORLANDO, Fla. — During the past three years, even as it has struggled with shrinking tax revenue, the Florida Legislature has dramatically expanded the amount of incentives available to film and entertainment companies.

Supporters say the tax breaks lure high-profile movie, television and digital media projects to the state and foster the growth of a high-tech, creative workforce.

But the biggest beneficiary of those expanded breaks is a multibillion-dollar video game developer that was designing games in Central Florida long before it began receiving incentives — and employs fewer people in the region today than it did five years ago.

That company is Electronic Arts Inc., the Redwood City, Calif.-based video game giant developing games at its EA Tiburon studio in Maitland since the mid-1990s.

Florida awarded EA more than $9.1 million in tax credits during the state’s 2011-12 fiscal year to subsidize development of the 2012 editions of three popular EA sports games: Madden NFL, NCAA Football and Tiger Woods PGA Tour. It was the largest amount one company has received in a single year in the history of Florida’s entertainment-based incentive program.

Next year should be even better for EA, which generated more than $4 billion in worldwide sales during its fiscal 2012. The company is tentatively in line for $14.5 million worth of tax credits — to subsidize development of the 2013 versions of the same three video games.

EA is profiting so handsomely from Florida’s entertainment incentives because it helped rewrite the state program. Records obtained by the Orlando Sentinel show that lobbyists for EA have worked closely with an influential Central Florida lawmaker — state Rep. Steve Precourt, R-Orlando — to mold the 9-year-old program to EA’s advantage.

In one instance, an EA lobbyist suggested a revision to the program that was adopted, almost verbatim, by the Legislature a month later. The change could soon save EA several million dollars more each year.

Electronic Arts says Florida as a whole has benefited from the incentives. It says the incentives have nurtured the growth of the entire video game industry, which EA said now employs more than 6,000 people statewide at an annual average wage of $80,000.

EA also said it is adding jobs at its Maitland studio and noted that it contributes to charitable and civic causes in Central Florida.

“Florida’s tax policies have contributed to EA’s ongoing investment in the state and to the steady growth of jobs in our Orlando studio,” the company said in a written response to questions from the Sentinel. “In California, where there is no production incentive, our studio head count has fallen by more than 50 percent since 2005. In Texas, which has established a game-production incentive, we have added three new studios and hundreds of jobs since 2010.”

Others accuse EA of squeezing profits out of taxpayers by playing states against one another in the name of “economic development.” Twenty-three states and Puerto Rico now offer incentives to video game companies, according to the Entertainment Software Association, an industry trade group.

These critics also call the changes wrought by Electronic Arts in Florida law a vivid illustration of how some large companies, empowered by a Republican-controlled Legislature philosophically inclined to support all manner of tax cuts, have been able to bend the state’s tax code in their favor.

“All we know for certain is that such incentives work to put more money in the company’s treasury and take it away from tax revenues spent for broader public good, like education and health care,” said Alan Stonecipher, an analyst with the Tallahassee-based Florida Center for Fiscal and Economic Policy, which advocates for low- and middle-income taxpayers. “The money is not creating any new jobs, but fatter corporate coffers.”

Florida created a film-and-entertainment incentive program in 2003, offering relatively modest cash rebates to various productions. The biggest recipients were typically large-budget television shows such as “Burn Notice” and “The Glades,” or feature films such as “Marley and Me.”

Video game companies were initially excluded from the program entirely, because Florida officials said the state did not want to provide incentives for projects likely to occur even without government help. The state eventually relented and allowed game developers to participate, though game companies were restricted to incentive awards smaller than those given to film and television projects.

Electronic Arts already had a thriving business in Maitland, where its Tiburon studio has been developing video games for EA — including Madden NFL, the best-selling sports title of all time — for nearly two decades. The Legislature radically altered its incentive structure in 2010, transforming it into an exponentially larger, tax credit-based program that will hand out nearly $300 million worth of credits through 2016.

Companies now can get tax offsets worth 20 percent of their total spending on an entertainment project, including employee wages of as much as $400,000.

Edited by BiffsGamingVideos

That's feb 17-20.

Yes, that's true, but I think you might have missed the larger point. The infamous Coleco Chameleon fraudulent prototype was shown at NY Toy Fair. A crowdfunded "console" really has no business there, especially before being funded. Worrying about retail distribution would be premature.

• Like 5

Yes, that's true, but I think you might have missed the larger point. The infamous Coleco Chameleon fraudulent prototype was shown at NY Toy Fair. A crowdfunded "console" really has no business there, especially before being funded. Worrying about retail distribution would be premature.

Also - at $300, I don't know if Atari would want this marketed/dismissed as a "toy". I don't think the Toy Fair targets the right crowd. A better place to debut it (in person) would be PAX. Or here.

• Like 2