IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

OMG people, let the tacos go. This is almost as old as my underwear (which is pretty old). Now back to the the Ataribox.......

Question: if you had a choice of eithe all 2d games or all VR games, which would you prefer?????

ME? I'd go 2d. The reason is the big guys have VR and have the money to do it right. However, independent makers (like me) can do 2d games cheaper and faster. VR takes a lot of storage space, faster CPU and costs a lots more in 3D assets. 3D games (which is all VR is, ) takes a lot of effort, bigger teams and a lot more money to produce. If you are going to do something, then go all out and do it right. As cool as VR is, I'd prefer a console that knows what it is and does it right. Now later on, they could always have an Atari VRbox as well with only VR.

Actually, I would almost disagree with that (except that I'm not a developer so take this with a grain of salt).

From what I have seen on the reddit thread for the Vive, people have been cranking out VR games left and right (granted they're not all that overly complicated, most use some purchased assets, etc). I actually think developing in VR is easier (vs developing FOR VR). Unity, Unreal Engine and Fusion 2017 engine all have VR capability right now, and the engine itself is a huge chunk of development time, right? Once you have the engine, a lot of it is texturing, music, and actual content. That's the hard part, and why most just use pre-made assets

There have definitely been a lot of college level efforts to get some VR games out there cheaply, and most of them are indeed smaller footprints on your hard drive. I don't yet have any game in VR that is anywhere near the size of some of the installed games like Skyrim, Fallout, Elite Dangerous (oh wait, that does work in VR and is AWESOME).

On that note, wouldn't it be great if you could fly a Taco truck around in Elite: Dangerous and park outside a space station?

OMG people, let the tacos go. This is almost as old as my underwear (which is pretty old). Now back to the the Ataribox.......

Question: if you had a choice of eithe all 2d games or all VR games, which would you prefer?????

I don't want to sound rude to you but those kind of discussions are truly pointless because we don't know squat about the capabilities or hardware they have in mind.

This is noones fault but Mr. Mac and Atari who won't mention anything remotely of substance on the hardware side, except a joystick.

What about a front cover not in woodgrain-pattern but in Dorito-pattern?

• Like 3

I don't want to sound rude to you but those kind of discussions are truly pointless because we don't know squat about the capabilities or hardware they have in mind.

This is noones fault but Mr. Mac and Atari who won't mention anything remotely of substance on the hardware side, except a joystick.

Mr. Mac.... Macos? They are similar to Tacos, but are lacking everything but the shell and Cheese!

Oh god, typing that I realised that if they make their own Linux distribution and named it after him, Apple would be pissed...

• Like 1

Actually, I would almost disagree with that (except that I'm not a developer so take this with a grain of salt).

From what I have seen on the reddit thread for the Vive, people have been cranking out VR games left and right (granted they're not all that overly complicated, most use some purchased assets, etc). I actually think developing in VR is easier (vs developing FOR VR). Unity, Unreal Engine and Fusion 2017 engine all have VR capability right now, and the engine itself is a huge chunk of development time, right? Once you have the engine, a lot of it is texturing, music, and actual content. That's the hard part, and why most just use pre-made assets

There have definitely been a lot of college level efforts to get some VR games out there cheaply, and most of them are indeed smaller footprints on your hard drive. I don't yet have any game in VR that is anywhere near the size of some of the installed games like Skyrim, Fallout, Elite Dangerous (oh wait, that does work in VR and is AWESOME).

On that note, wouldn't it be great if you could fly a Taco truck around in Elite: Dangerous and park outside a space station?

Wow, someone who is an ataribox thread that is not talking trash like fox news. Wow! Good job.

Now, 3d and VR are basically the same thing. the engine just renders out 2 screens for VR. The head tracker just moves the camera around to where you are looking. That stuff is done by the engine or plugins. However, when you do a 2.5 game (that's a game that is done in 3d but the camera stays in a place), there are issues.

• The first is the amount of assets you have to create or buy. Tons and tons of it. This costs a lot.
  • Next is the frame rate. The engine must render out in 3 dimensions. You need to get to 60 fps. Doing this on a cell phone is tough.
  • Also, there is storage. Instead of 100meg game you have a 5gb one. When you publish on google play store, they limit the size to 100mb for download (and you can split up the binary and go over).

So if someone wants to do a game, he has to think about these things. If you publish on Windows with a joystick and keyboard, can you also publish on IOS and Android with a touch screen? This allows more sales being cross platform. So as far as games go, having a 2d/3d concentrated games pack on Ataribox would be better I think. You'd get arcade type games. Then after a year the publisher could put them on other platforms. But if you went VR, you just couldn't do that. Also, Atari doesn't have the money to do the VR hardware anyways,

It's not pointless. this has nothing to do with the hardware. Software is what sells. the question is basically would you want a 2d/3d arcade old school gameing system or a high end VR system. Why or why not. The point I was trying to get across is that most people see Atari in a certain type of game: 2d arcade. So would you rather they concentrate on original titles in that gengre or do something entirely different.

• Like 2

Of course it has to do with hardware. Underpowered hardware can never run any kind of VR that will be satisfactory.

Compare PSVR capabilities of the basic PS4 and the PS4 pro then go to a gaming PC with a VR kit like Vive for example.

Regardless, Atari isn't really in the financial position to start experimenting with VR since they apparently need to crowdfund the entire system to begin with...

• Like 4

I'd like them to concentrate on anything other than vaporware marketing and bullshit. Produce a working product with actual insides and electricity flowing through it connected to an actual monitor and controls or GTFO. Enough with these looky here pics at this neat thing we're inferring is running that thing over there using some other thing that we're not showing. There is no justifiable reason to keep dropping teases of things that "appear" to be doing anything when they could just as easily take a cell phone and show a hunk of electronics wired to a TV. They want to suggest they are being mysterious, but they are really bullshitting us as they've done their stormfly backers, and almost certainly their gameband backers. Now they are just trolling with Ataribox. If and when they open a crowdfunding campaign, and they can't put up a genuine demonstration of a working product, they move back into grifter con artist mode.

• Like 4

I'd like them to concentrate on anything other than vaporware marketing and bullshit. Produce a working product with actual insides and electricity flowing through it connected to an actual monitor and controls or GTFO. Enough with these looky here pics at this neat thing we're inferring is running that thing over there using some other thing that we're not showing. There is no justifiable reason to keep dropping teases of things that "appear" to be doing anything when they could just as easily take a cell phone and show a hunk of electronics wired to a TV. They want to suggest they are being mysterious, but they are really bullshitting us as they've done their stormfly backers, and almost certainly their gameband backers. Now they are just trolling with Ataribox. If and when they open a crowdfunding campaign, and they can't put up a genuine demonstration of a working product, they move back into grifter con artist mode.

Damned for no communication, damned for communicating.

• Like 2