IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I'm assuming you mean for the Ataribox, rather than just in general?

It wouldn't be VR. I think VR is an interesting technology, but I really dislike the headsets. I can tolerate them for a few minutes, but then the novelty wears off, and I prefer to step back into a real world where I don't have my head encased in a bulky, heavy thing that reminds me of orthodontic headgear with a brick attached to it.

Once someone can make the headset as lightweight as a pair of glasses, and the hardware to drive it wireless (or the size of a smartphone - rather than a backpack), then I'll be more interested in VR as a viable gaming option.

So given only that choice, I'd prefer 2D.

Even then, it shouldn't be all 2D. Any modern console should be able to handle 2D and 3D - especially at a $300 price point. Presumably, the Ataribox will. For all I know, it will microwave popcorn, too. I have no idea.

I play games on my iPad more than on any console. I have access to tens of thousands of games - 2D and 3D. All genres and styles. From Indie developers to huge studios. At any and all price points. It's portable, powerful, and also useful as a web browser, media player, and a whole host of other things. I can take it anywhere, or connect it to my TV. And, you can get one for $299. And it's far from being the only device like that on the market.

If I did want to get into console gaming again, I would've picked up a PS4 on Black Friday for $199. Even now, they're still only $299 - with Star Wars: Battlefront II. There are similarly priced Xbox One and Switch deals out there, too.

Price-wise, this is what Atari is trying to compete against. And all of those platforms have a massive, established user base, and active, current software libraries.

I still play classic games a lot (nearly all 2D) - and I play them in emulation, or on my original consoles. I already have all of that, so if the Ataribox is about emulation, it's already redundant.

I wouldn't pay $300 for any console or gaming device unless the software was already there. And in the case of everything else on the market - it already is. Atari has nothing in its library that isn't already as common as dirt. Whether in emulation, or on a Flashback, or as a Taco Bell giveaway, or on their own website. They have marketed the same handful of games over and over again to death. They don't have any in-house game developers (that I'm aware of). And unless they've got some really amazing new, exclusive software to announce at the time of their crowdfunding campaign, and some serious commitment from established developers, I can't see how they're going to market this, apart from the nostalgia factor of it being a new "Atari" console.

What's the hook that will make people spend $300 on an Ataribox, when there are so many other established options out there? They'd better have something up their sleeve.

Maybe they're going to throw in a free Speaker Hat™.

So I've already mentioned in this thread that I really like playing Elite: Dangerous in VR. It brings a level of immersion never before possible. That being said, I also have Battlezone that plays in VR and while also amazing, it uses your standard ps4/steam/xbox controller, which isn't quite as immersive as having a HOTAS that nearly matches the model in the game. It has an almost perfect 1:1 ratio when you move the joystick and the thrust.

I've spent literally hours with the VIVE on my head and with the third party cushion over the default one, it's MUCH more tolerable, otherwise you have this SPONGE that just soaks up the sweat and is really nasty after a while. I do need to win Battlezone, they did an amazing job in it, and it even looks cool in the 'classic' mode with full 3D vector graphics!

Something I want to mention re: preproduction console hardware: until the first devkits are sitting on programmers' desks, there's no way to know what the final hardware will look like. And even then it can still be a crapshoot.

Of course, Atariboxcorp, Inc., doesn't need to deliver devkits since anyone can install gcc and the appropriate libraries on a Linux box if it didn't come installed with them to begin with. Just know which compiler flags to throw at it at build time, and you too can make your very own Ataribox game!

Here's the problem with that approach: making a video game that people are likely to want to actually buy requires game developers, and, strangely enough, they usually expect to be compensated for their not-inconsiderable investment of time and effort in developing said game. Then there are royalties and bonuses to figure out... Oh, and distribution, too. Just because it's squirting down the Intertubes into your Ataribox doesn't mean that it's free to develop or deliver it to said device.

Now, I'll admit that all of this assumes that there is an actual device to deliver it to, but I'm playing devil's advocate here, so bear with me on this one.

Who will be developing software for the Ataribox?

All of the other practical considerations aside, I have yet to hear one developer - established, indie, or otherwise - make any sort of announcement regarding their commitment to the platform.

I'm willing to stretch to the idea that they can pull off the emulation part and attendant frontend out of Kickstarter or seed fund money - but if there's nothing at launch time other than a bunch of titles that people already have or have access to freely, then there's no compelling reason to not buy delicious, delicious tacos instead.

And no, media streaming is not a value-add these days; we're no longer in 2007 so it's just something you sort of expect to be there. And, if it isn't, no big deal, because you probably already have 27 other devices that do that already.

Even if they get this thing to market, it's like they only kinda/sorta grasp the realities of the market as it is today. There're some modern approaches to it going on, but so many more that are stuck in a decade-old (or older) model - at least, from what we can be derived from the lack of meaningful communication.

In answer to that question... probably Feral, Aspyr, and anyone else who is porting their stuff to Linux. Will AtariBox be powerful enough to play Civilization VI at 1080p? Maybe?

Pretty sure it won't be able to handle Mad Max at maximum resolution/detail. My current gaming PC could barely do it, though the addition of Vulkan certainly made it work MUCH better.

If they can deliver a spec that is close to PS3-PS4, and it's just a little Linux machine that can stream/install games off of Steam but looks like that cool case, I'll buy one. Will I think of it as an Atari? Probably not, I'll probably consider it a ValveBox™ :)

Really getting sick of being told that positive thinking is somehow bad.

It runs both ways here.

I agree, that's why I added my post. If you guys checked out the gamingforlinux.com forums about the AtariBox, they are almost all very positive (Yay, new Linux based box!) but they don't have the decades long bitterness built up about a company who over promised and under-delivered many times after the initial HUGE success they had in the 70s / early 80s.

'Atari' has become more of a spiritual community over a company that brandishes their branding like a well branded sword!

• Like 1

i got a lil pile of games that use a single button or could easily be reduced one button, and there are probably plenty of nostalgia-addled goofs like me who'd plonk some junk on some box for the standard 70/30. maybe that's their super plan i dunno.

is there any legit reason for secrecy at this point? it's been 3000 years just show your hand already :o

• Like 4

Positive thinking...

*deep-breath*

Ok, let me put it another way:

Atari's actions, and the people behind the project are leaving a distinct smell of fecal matter in the room. Do you really think talking positively about the smell of fecal matter in the room will somehow make it smell better?

-Thom

• Like 5

Really getting sick of being told that positive thinking is somehow bad.

It runs both ways here.

Oh I've been to places online where people seems to be very positive. Mostly Linux-fans happy about a new device that runs their OS of choice. Many other forums for general gaming seems at least mildly positive overall.

Most of the general negativity here on a Atari-based forum comes from the Atari branding on it, given what today's Atari is what it is, and the ppl behind it who hasn't exactly a great track record on crowdfunding behind them with the Stormfly and Gameband, and also why we can't see anything else than renders and a cool joystick.

If this box had Amiga branding and a design mimicking the Amiga 500 or perhaps inspired by the Amiga CD32 I bet you a Speakerhat that it would generate but a fraction of the noise here it has, but Amiga/Commodore forums would explode in similar proportion, just as the debacle that is THE64 gained minor attention here but massive attention in their respective fanbases, and almost on the exact same grounds as our critique of this no less.

• Like 1

Positive thinking...

*deep-breath*

Ok, let me put it another way:

Atari's actions, and the people behind the project are leaving a distinct smell of fecal matter in the room. Do you really think talking positively about the smell of fecal matter in the room will somehow make it smell better?

-Thom

This room smells like shit but on the bright side we can use it as fertilizer and before you know it this room will smell like pot.

• Like 2

LOL. I hate to pick on the "blow you balls off" guy, since he's a very small-time youtuber, but he's also an Ataribox fan:

I'm just hoping to see some positive thinking that is good enough to debuff and blow my balls off... into a taco.

I had to watch one of his Chameleon videos again just for the memories:

• Like 5

Yeah, that Lucy. Always charging up front for advice she's not qualified to provide, or that's usually what you already know anyway.

529be7577d76142ce3ea27f5967bbe3a--peanut

Little known fact: Lucy is now a 47 year old Amway seller with 14 cats and a drinking problem.

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 4

Lucy's the jerk; Charlie's the blockhead.

Tacos are nice, but I think I'd rather have quesadillas.

Much like game consoles, Mexican food gives you choices. Don't want an Xbox? Buy a PS4 or Switch. Don't want a taco? Have a quesadilla, or enchilada, or any number of other delicious dishes.

Ataribox doesn't give you choices - only vague promises of an outcome that may very well go unfulfilled. It's the equivalent of the Moon Bases of the Future from the April, 1948 issue of Mechanix Illustrated.

Don't let Ataribox get you down. Enjoy some Mexican food today!

This Public Service Announcement has been brought to you by the Foundation For Mexican Atari Cuisine.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 1