IGNORED

New Genesis Flashback

jblenkle

Have any of the homebrews that use flash based chips in them been tested? I can think of Mini-Planets and Escape 2042 right off hand although my recent YM2017 cart appeas to use flash chips in it to store the program rom. Just curious how or why these particular carts if they don't work, would be so much different from a standard masked rom or eprom cart since a stock Genesis can't tell the difference either?

I don't have any of those for testing, I'm afraid.

The system dumps the ROM to local storage. The SD card in a flashcart like the Everdrive is invisible to the system. It would probably just dump the flash cart's OS.

So given that...homebrews should work then even if they are programmed onto flash reusable carts since there isn't a menu or OS that I'm aware of. Just pop in the game and it loads up like any other Genesis/MD game. Wonder if a reviewer who gets a newer model or might still have one of the other ones can test some of that out. In the end it doesn't matter, but I would think that if they really want to market this console as a replacement for aging systems or as a means for new people to get into the Genesis, then the chances are there that someone picking up one of these that might now know, could pick up some homebrew releases.

So given that...homebrews should work then even if they are programmed onto flash reusable carts since there isn't a menu or OS that I'm aware of. Just pop in the game and it loads up like any other Genesis/MD game. Wonder if a reviewer who gets a newer model or might still have one of the other ones can test some of that out. In the end it doesn't matter, but I would think that if they really want to market this console as a replacement for aging systems or as a means for new people to get into the Genesis, then the chances are there that someone picking up one of these that might now know, could pick up some homebrew releases.

I would think so, but I don't have any to test with.

It depends. I didn't have any luck running Pier Solar or a few other homebrews on it that typically have problems with anything other than a Genesis 1 or 2. I'm not sure what the x factor is there, but it's probably why even certain original games don't work on the Genesis 3 or Sega Nomad either.

It depends. I didn't have any luck running Pier Solar or a few other homebrews on it that typically have problems with anything other than a Genesis 1 or 2. I'm not sure what the x factor is there, but it's probably why even certain original games don't work on the Genesis 3 or Sega Nomad either.

Bill I belive Pier Solar and some of the other games you are talking about have more to do with the size of the program data on the carts. Pier Solar is currently (Until Paprium is eventually released), the largest physical game on Genesis in terms of data in the cart for the game contents. But something like Mini-Planets or Escape 2042 are within the 4mb limit that many Genesis games released at.

Again, if you aren't aware it would not be such a happy time to pick up one of these and a few games along with a new homebrew or two, only to find out the homebrews are a no go on the console. When these are released, I will hit up my local retro game store around the corner and test the games on one at that time. I'm totally curious about it obviously LOL!

More than its large ROM size, Pier Solar is protected against dumping: from what I remember (there was a website explaining the technical details but it got deleted), you need to do specific timed steps to get the full 8MB ROM dump. And even with full dump, they would need to emulate the special mapper and save feature it uses to get the game starting and running. That's why it took so much time to get it dumped and emulated, and only in a few recent emulators.

Edited by philyso

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bill. I believe you that it's improved, but I'll feel better when reviews are adjusted to match. :D

Although I'm always as honest as possible about when something is good, bad, or just plain broken, even when working on the actual product, I absolutely agree you should get multiple points of view with something like this. It really sucked that the first batch of review units went out like that. Hopefully most reviewers can go into this revised batch with an open mind despite that.

• Like 1

I like that they removed some of the shovelware, but it's a disappointment to see Sonic 3 and the lock-on games not on the list. Sonic and Knuckles and Sonic 2 are there, but Knuckles in Sonic 2 isn't, even.

Looking forward to the new reviews. I really need to figure out how to get low-latency HDMI emulation on my TV before all the ancient stuff in my house goes kaput. This is really close to everything I really play, except for Street Fighter (an understandable omission) and the aforementioned Sonic exclusions.

Edited by derFunkenstein

I don't feel badly about it on out-of-print cartridges. Like I would never pirate Pier Solar or any of the games coming out soon. But if the last production run on your game ended 20 years ago? I'm not concerned. Plus I have paid for every Genesis emulated game you can buy on Steam. Sega got some money out of me. ;)

I'm aware that my opinion is not legal advice. Don't cite me as a reference if you get arrested. LOL

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

Pre-orders are live on Gamestop and Best Buy now. I haven't been paying much attention so maybe it's been like that for a couple days. They both say it comes out on November 10.

In related news my CRT died. Fortunately my other smaller TV has composite and S-Video input but unfortunately that TV is an LCD and I already know my Genesis looks like garbage on it. :(

That's like $126 in US dollars. It's probably loaded with VAT that goes into services like universal health care, gun control, and sheep husbandry. :-)

On the bright side I won't die of the flu, get shot during a fender bender or ever be lonely.

• Like 4