IGNORED

New Genesis Flashback

jblenkle

It would be funny if by word of mouth (and YT reviews) we're gonna end up pumping the sales of the Fai Hao GeneClone due to a mishaps with the AtGames GennyHD.

Well for one it would attest to the NEED of a good HDMI Genny solution on the cheap.

I was offered to distribute those here, and the NES counterpart but I declined because the unlicensed games built in.

If I were you I will call back and have them drop the pirate carts from the package [it's not built in for the Genny/MD ... hint hint] and have it replaced with one of your games (or a multi for Genny if you have a decent one).

Yes we know the audio is mono only ... and a couple of games won't work .... but if you can maintain the total package price to 50US$ with say Duke Nukem 3D (or for the Christian crowd you can put the Wisdom Tree collection) you will have a hell of a horse in the race (and no need to wait the holiday season).

EDIT: wrt the HDMI Famiclone ... well at least there's a hell of a lot of Engrish LOL

HTB1ctqpPpXXXXaVaXXXq6xXFXXXc.jpg

HTB1wBaQPpXXXXbeXpXXq6xXFXXXo.jpg

HTB1sXCFPpXXXXbUXFXXq6xXFXXXI.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder if the sound separation is something that can be hacked similar to how it is done with the Model 3? Unless all the audio is coming out of just one pin off that GOAC glob that is the brains of these things? But if not and it required a separate amp to handle it properly, at least there is a PLENTY of room inside one of these to add in something like a MegaAmp if needed.

According to this, your are likely going to have to tap the audio from the GOAC chip and then wire it up to a Mega-Amp : http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?32463-Fei-Hao-MD-clone-with-HDMI-out

That forum also mentions that there is only one audio input on the HDMI converter, so you will probably be limited to stereo analog output.

Of course, this assumes that the GOAC actually does not mix the audio internally and only has a mono audio output. I believe my suspicions about the GOAC outputting S-Video are supported there. If so, then you would be stuck with S-Video mod on the analog or upscaled S-Video digital outputs.

• Like 1

So is the "fixed" Genesis Flashback "ready"?

Yes. All the issues with the reviewer units have been addressed and several other improvements have been incorporated (including addressing the bonus games). This is what it was supposed to be. Any other tweaks/improvements will continue to be made right up until it hits full production.

Glad to hear it. Will this push back retail availability, or are we still looking at September 2017?

Good > fast, of course.

As of now, it's still looking like it will make around that time. It sounds like they want to make sure the pre-orders go out around the same time the second review units do. Things will still be in flux the next few weeks, though. Nevertheless, all positive so far.

• Like 3

As of now, it's still looking like it will make around that time. It sounds like they want to make sure the pre-orders go out around the same time the second review units do. Things will still be in flux the next few weeks, though. Nevertheless, all positive so far.

Will the sound issues in the portable Flashback Genesis be fixed in 2017? I've been wanting one for years, but never have gotten one due to the terrible sound emulation I hear in reviews. I'm good on TV emulation, but would love to have a good dedicated handheld for Genesis games. Especially one with SD Card support! Also, this is my first post here, so greetings AtariAge community! Been lurking for years.

Will the sound issues in the portable Flashback Genesis be fixed in 2017? I've been wanting one for years, but never have gotten one due to the terrible sound emulation I hear in reviews. I'm good on TV emulation, but would love to have a good dedicated handheld for Genesis games. Especially one with SD Card support! Also, this is my first post here, so greetings AtariAge community! Been lurking for years.

The sound is the same on the portable Genesis and the SD Genesis. The only difference with the latter is it's now stereo. It looks 2018 will see a fix and additional changes to those particular models.

He said on the SD unit. Apparently the HD mini-Genesis console unit has improved sound. Am I wrong?

Oh yes. Apologies. That will teach me for reading too quickly! If the emulation and sound is good and they get rid of the shovelware I'm in.

• Like 1

Some people are just tonedeaf :grin:

You'd have to be to miss some of that, especially Battletoads and Splatterhouse. The SoR games sounded sorta close, though.

In SOR2 there was some major pitch issues but it only happened really quickly... like when you put your finger on a record to slow it down for a second. lol. Anyway, it's put me off getting one of these. Looking forward to see how good the 'fixed' AtGames console will be. In the meantime my Genesis with component will keep being worn out. lol

In SOR2 there was some major pitch issues but it only happened really quickly... like when you put your finger on a record to slow it down for a second. lol. Anyway, it's put me off getting one of these. Looking forward to see how good the 'fixed' AtGames console will be. In the meantime my Genesis with component will keep being worn out. lol

For sure, definitely waiting to see what people who get "fixed" AtGames consoles do. I love my Genesis 2 with all of its add-ons, but I'd love to save some wear and tear on it, too. Plus the idea of HDMI with great sound is very exciting. The RetroN 5 is a non-starter for me, so this is it. Especially if I can load stuff onto an SD card and play it.

For sure, definitely waiting to see what people who get "fixed" AtGames consoles do. I love my Genesis 2 with all of its add-ons, but I'd love to save some wear and tear on it, too. Plus the idea of HDMI with great sound is very exciting. The RetroN 5 is a non-starter for me, so this is it. Especially if I can load stuff onto an SD card and play it.

Yeah, sadly my Everdrive won't work on it though:(

Some people are just tonedeaf :grin:

You'd have to be to miss some of that, especially Battletoads and Splatterhouse. The SoR games sounded sorta close, though.

I do not believe the pitch of the music is off so much that there is an incredible amount of distortion in the HD console. I wonder if the poor filtering is to blame rather than the sound chip emulation.

Here's another update for the Sega HD. I now have the latest revision. Menu navigation has been changed. It's much more intuitive now (and works with a three button controller if one so chooses) and the games better organized. There are 14 SMS games (including Snail Maze). There are 7 Game Gear games (the aspect ratio and resolution has also been adjusted on these versus the review units). There are 19 Bonus games (unfortunately, those were included again, but are in their own separate category). The rest are the Genesis games. Once I get approval, I'll release the updated list.

• Like 2