IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2018)

Keeping with the Halloween theme, it was mostly horror games around here once again this past week, though I did take a breaks from all the scares for some relaxing simulation gaming on the Wii as needed and a little Atari 2600 High Score Club participation. :)

3HpFzu2.jpg

Ineligible
Alien Resurrection (PlayStation) - 334 minutes
Dragonfire (Atari 2600) - 109 minutes

Nintendo Wii
Deadly Creatures - 170 minutes
JU-ON: The Grudge Haunted House Simulator - 328 minutes
SimAnimals - 353 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week
1,294 minutes (21 hours 34 minutes) [851 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Nintendo Wii: 851 minutes
PlayStation: 334 minutes
Atari 2600: 109 minutes

For this week's horror games there were a couple I played, both of which were brand new to me. The first was Deadly Creatures and the second was JU-ON: The Grudge Haunted House Simulator, both being Wii exclusive games. Deadly Creatures is an incredibly unique 3D action-adventure / beat 'em up sort of game that has you alternating between playing as a tarantula and a scorpion, both fighting their way through the Sonoran desert as a grisly tale of murder and greed unfold by the humans (played by Billy Bob Thorton and Dennis Hopper) they encounter along the way. If that sounds awesome then let me be the first to assure you that it is indeed, 100% completely, every bit as awesome as it sounds. I'm only halfway through the game at this point and so far it has blown my socks off at every turn.

My other horror game for the week, JU-ON: The Grudge, wasn't quite as impressive as Deadly Creatures but it was still a lot of fun. There's not much to the gameplay other than slowly walking around some spooky locations collecting flashlight batteries (if your flashlight runs out of batteries you die) and solving simple "find the key to the door" sort of escape room puzzles while the game tries it's best to scare the bejesus out of you, but the scares are well designed and managed to make me jump several times in each of the game's 4 short levels. There is a 5th level that I'm working on unlocking at the moment, which takes place in the infamous house from the film of the same name, but it unlocking it requires that you find all the secret items hidden in the other 4 levels and that is proving to be quite a challenge. Fortunately the game changes up the scares a little with every play through, so even though many of the events are scripted the game still manages to find new ways to make me jump every time I go back to a previously played level to search for hidden items. JU-ON probably isn't worth the $40 or so that a complete copy commands on eBay right now, but if you're a die hard horror fan or manage to find a copy on the cheap then I think it's worth giving a try.

As far as my other gaming time for the week goes, with the Atari 2600 High Score Club starting up again for a new season I did finally make the time to play some Atari again like I've been talking about doing for months. This week's High Score Club game was Dragonfire, which was luckily one of the two dozen or so Atari 2600 games I actually own, and it was a pretty fun giving it a play again. The misses joined in on playing Atari as well and we each set new personal best high scores in Dragonfire, mine being 12,900 and hers 8,130. All the intense Atari action and horror games did leave me pretty tense afterwards though, so I decided to de-stress by trying out a new game for the Wii that I had been meaning to play for a while: SimAnimals.

From the makers of SimCity and The Sims, SimAnimals has officially dethroned SimAnt as my all time favorite Sim game! The simple gist of the game is that you play the hand of god and oversee a whole forest full of all kinds of creatures, trying your best to balance the ecology of the forest to keep as many creatures happy as possible; and by accomplishing certain goals along the way you gradually unlock more areas of the forest and new species of animals to play around with. Being a Sim game though you don't necessarily have to be a good overseer all the time, if for instance you got curious as to what might happen if you were to drop a half starved grizzly bear in to the middle of a herd of sleeping deer. It's also a rather educational game that got me thinking about ecology and conservation in whole new ways, like when I figured out that if I wanted to have lots of foxes in my forest I should plant buttercup flowers. Why? Because mice love eating buttercups so growing lots of buttercups will attract lots of mice, and foxes eat mice so in order to support a sizable fox population you need to grow lots of buttercups. Edutainment at it's best!

I'll probably continue playing SimAnimals for a good long while whenever I need some relaxing stress-free gaming time, but for now I should wrap up this week's post by saying that other than a little Dragonfire on the Atari 2600 the only game the misses played this past week was Alien Resurrection for the PlayStation. This was her second time playing Alien Resurrection, after giving it a try once last year then rage quitting and selling the game when she discovered that the game is insanely difficult and even on Easy mode it doesn't give you enough ammunition to complete the 5th of 10 levels; and unless you're a first-person shooter master it's almost impossible to beat the game without using cheat codes. It's a brilliantly crafted game with some of the most genuinely unsettling atmosphere and well timed jump scares on the PlayStation, not to mention some of the best polygon graphics the PS1 has to offer, but the difficulty level is utterly absurd. My wife has beat Doom and Final Doom on Ultra Violence difficulty half a dozen times and she still went into her second attempt on Alien Resurrection (after picking up another copy of the game on eBay) knowing that she will need to use cheat codes to finish the game this time around.

Whew! This was a seriously long winded post, but I think that about covers all the gaming news from around here for this week! Looking ahead to next week I'm planning on finishing Deadly Creatures and JU-ON: The Grudge and the misses is about halfway through Alien Resurrection at this point and planning on finishing her game as well even if she has to use cheat codes, so that's what's on our agenda for next week. Until then, and as always, best wishes and spooky gaming to you and yours! :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 3

Week 40

Top games

1. Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox One) - 1085 min.

2. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 968 min.

3. Pokémon Ultra Sun (3DS) - 420 min.

4. Astrobot Rescue Mission (PS4) - 380 min.

5. SimAnimals (Wii) - 353 min.

6. JU-ON: The Grudge Haunted House Simulator (Wii) - 328 min.

7. Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox One) - 312 min.

8. Deadly Creatures (Wii) - 170 min.

9. Forza Motorsport 6 (Xbox One) - 101 min.

Top systems

1. Xbox One - 2466 min.

2. Wii - 851 min.

3. 3DS - 420 min.

4. PS4 - 380 min.

Total 4117 minutes and 9 different games on 4 different systems.

For the third week in a row, another game surpasses PUBG as the most played this week. The two previous weeks we had Borderlands 2 and Game Dev Tycoon on the PC, this week fellow Xbox One racing game Forza Horizon 4 takes the crown. Another interesting comparison is that the five Forza games on the XB1 now together have equalled 51% of the play time on all the PS4 and PSVR games combined.

• Like 5

Here are some bonus stats, the top 10 most played games for each of the 22 systems I've been logging separately. Some of those have only 1 game, some have a lot so the list obviously is truncated at 10.

3DS:
Pokémon Ultra Sun - 4588 min
Resident Evil: Revelations - 2104 min
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 1353 min
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - 1076 min
StreetPass Mii Plaza - 613 min
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - 588 min
Star Fox 64 3D - 314 min
Heavy Fire: The Chosen Few - 143 min
Minecraft - 120 min
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D - 54 min

Android Phone:
Crazy Taxi: City Rush - 1702 min
Toon Blast - 84 min
Toy Blast - 46 min

Arcade:
Dolphin Star - 12 min
The World's Largest Pac-Man - 10 min
Gaelco Championship Tuning Race - 6 min

Browser based:
Papa's Pancakeria - 846 min
Building Rush - 257 min
Building Rush 2 - 206 min
Pause Ahead - 96 min
William and Sly 2 - 84 min
20 Euros - 40 min
Three Goblets - 34 min
Tuper Tario Bros. - 26 min
Seedship - 23 min
Jelly Mario - 11 min

DS:
Clubhouse Games - 232 min

Gamecube:
Star Fox Adventures - 1304 min
Killer7 - 765 min
Metroid Prime - 454 min
Rampage: Total Destruction - 416 min
Alien Hominid - 216 min
TimeSplitters 2 - 151 min
Mario Kart Double Dash - 30 min

GBA:
Wings - 620 min
Sword of Mana - 345 min
Agassi Tennis Generation - 84 min
Wario Land 4 - 30 min
Mario Golf Advance Tour - 20 min
Double Dragon Advance - 13 min
Castlevania Circle of the Moon - 10 min
Defender of the Crown - 10 min
The Three Stooges - 5 min

iOS:
Cash, Inc - 502 min
Eternium - 340 min
Into the Dead 2 - 240 min
Snake vs. Block - 222 min

PC:
CS:GO - 1480 MIN
Game Dev Tycoon - 1404 min
Everquest - 1304 min
Borderlands 2 - 1260 min
Clone Hero - 844 min
Elite: Dangerous - 800 min
Dragon Age 2 - 740 min
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - 732 min
Game Corp DX - 624 min
Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island - 597 min

PS2:
Jak and Daxter - 103 min

PS3:
Journey - 481 min
Pier Solar - 314 min
Ni Ni Kuni: Wraith of the White Witch - 266 min
Unmechanical Extended - 220 min
Wipeout HD - 56 min
Catherine - 54 min
Alien: Colonial Marines - 30 min
Just Cause 2 - 30 min
The Undergarden - 24 min

PS4:
Shadow Tactics - 1215 min
Wipeout VR - 1200 min
Skyrim VR - 1181 min
Bravo Team - 545 min
Candleman - 515 min
Gunscape - 430 min
Astrobot Rescue Mission - 380 min
Killing Floor Incursion - 380 min
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - 355 min
Volume - 315 min

PSP:
Persona 3 Portable - 912 min
Hot Shots Golf Open Tee - 585 min
Lumines - 155 min
Castlevania The Dracula X Chronicles - 70 min
Sega Rally Revo - 70 min
Wipeout Pure - 70 min
Star Wars The Force Unleashed - 68 min
Lunar Silver Star Harmony - 45 min
IL-2 Sturmovik - 30 min
Darius Burst - 15 min
Tomb Raider Legend - 15 min

Switch:
Mario Kart 8 - 44 min
Rocket League - 20 min

Twitch:
Stockstream - 574 min

Uzebox:
Pac-Man - 20 min
Dr. Mario - 10 min

Wii:
Metroid Prime Trilogy - 4494 min
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition - 1346 min
Dead Space: Extraction - 1078 min
Tomb Raider: Anniversary - 1070 min
Resident Evil Zero - 819 min
Sonic Colors - 658 min
WordJong Party - 580 min
Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles - 527 min
Rayman: Raving Rabbids - 483 min
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - 435 min

Wii U:
Super Smash Bros. Wii U - 300 min
NES Remix - 292 min
NES Remix II - 255 min
Zombi - 161 min
NintendoLand - 120 min
Yoshi's Wooly World - 75 min
Lego City Undercover - 66 min
Pikmin 3 - 63 min
Super Mario 3D World - 60 min
Wii Sports Club - 45 min

Wonderswan Color:
Judgement Silversword - 86 min
Run = Dim Return to Earth - 25 min
SD Gundum: Operation UC - 15 min
Golden Axe - 6 min

Xbox:
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - 761 min
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 - 233 min
Sega GT 2002 - 96 min

Xbox 360:
Bioshock Infinite - 858 min
Dead Space - 851 min
NCAA Football 14 - 351 min
Outrun Online Arcade - 100 min
Dragon Age: Origins - 90 min
Rockstar Table Tennis - 71 min
Hydro Thunder - 45 min
Xbox Solitaire Collection - 5 min

Xbox One:
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - 33614 min
Destiny 2 - 4386 min
Fortnite - 3158 min
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - 2299 min
Super Mega Baseball 2 - 2266 min
DOOM - 1758 min
Forza Horizon 4 - 1745 min
Skyrim - 1740 min
Alien: Isolation - 1659 min
Overwatch - 1586 min

• Like 5

Here are my times for modern games for this week (October 8th through 14th):

Windows / Visual PinMAME:

Baby Pac Man - 66 min.

I didn't play very much this week because I'm still hard at work on the Atari 7800 version of Baby Pac Man. I played the version of it on Visual PinMAME, which is a bit difficult to describe and to file, so I'm not sure if it's actually eligible here or if it's a classic game instead... to explain, there's a PC program for Windows called Visual Pinball which is a similar to a modern version of Pinball Construction Kit. There are various tables for it, and it also has a function to pair with another program, Visual PinMAME, whose job it is to run the original ROM's of pinball machines and connect them to the virtual table. So the table for Baby Pac Man has been recreated in Visual Pinball, but it runs the original ROM, so if you play the maze part, it's pretty much arcade perfect. Don't know how to file this... but I think I played and named this one before somewhere in the last 10 years... possibly when there was no tracker for modern games yet.

• Like 4

The Wii is dead, long live the Wii.

OsgwWv6.jpg

9JyefEU.jpg

Ineligible
Adventure (Atari 2600) - 41 minutes
Alien Resurrection (PlayStation) - 328 minutes
Cosmic Ark (Atari 2600, Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 122 minutes
Dragonfire (Atari 2600) - 76 minutes
Stampede (Atari 2600) - 39 minutes

Nintendo Wii
Crazy Machines - 71 minutes
Deadly Creatures - 270 minutes
Escape from Bug Island! - 360 minutes
JU-ON: The Grudge Haunted House Simulator - 91 minutes
SimAnimals - 409 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week
1,807 minutes (30 hours 7 minutes) [1,201 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Nintendo Wii: 1,201 minutes
PlayStation: 328 minutes
Atari 2600: 278 minutes

Today is a rather sad occasion for me, as the Wii that I've owned and enjoyed since November 19, 2006 (the day it launched in North America) died on me last night when the disc drive suddenly started failing to load any games. I probably shouldn't be surprised, since after 12 years of nearly daily use almost any slot loading disc dive would be approaching the end of it's lifespan, but it feels especially unfortunate since nearly all my game collecting efforts this year had been focused entirely on the Wii and I had a good two dozen or so new Wii games lined up to play over the fall and winter. But alas, the drive has failed and I lack the knowhow to open up the Wii and run diagnostics on the drive; so it looks like I'll be without a Wii for a while until I can afford to replace the console at some point next month.

In the meantime, it was actually quite a good week for gaming around here this past week. With the new season of the Atari 2600 High Score Club reminding me how much fun it is playing Atari games I logged a fair bit of time for both of the 2600 HSC's current games, Dragonfire and Cosmic Ark, then had a little mini high score competition with the misses in Stampede; which she won with a score of 2,213 to my 2,194. It was a really close race! She played some Atari on her own this week as well, with several rounds of Game 3 in Adventure. One of them ended up being one of those rare instances of an unwinnable game in which all the keys spawn inside the castles and even after exploring every screen outside of the castles with the magnet there wasn't a single key to be found. She still had fun playing though and remarked that it was nice to spend some time playing her favorite Atari 2600 game again.

The only other game she played this past week was Alien Resurrection on the PlayStation, which she's now only 2 levels away from finishing. She did have to turn on the unlimited ammo cheat code from level 5 of 10 onward since the game was poorly designed and simply doesn't give you enough ammo to finish any level after level 4 even on easy difficulty, but since she fixed the ammo problem she has been enjoying the game; aside from the occasional remarks about frequent and cheap deaths. :lol:

Other than the aforementioned Atari games, I stuck to playing games on the Wii all week right up until last night when my Wii's disc drive croaked. I finished up the exquisitely good Deadly Creatures early in the week then went on to play another game with lots of bugs: Escape from Bug Island! The latter game is an early survival horror title for the Wii with what may be the most god awful and agonizingly long intro I've ever seen in the video game, but once you get past the abysmal half hour intro it turns into an excellent old school Resident Evil style survival horror game; with tank controls and all. Midweek I played played a ton of SimAnimals to relax during some stressful times and tried out the rare Wii sequel to The Incredible Machine titled Crazy Machines, which was quite a bit of fun as well. I was just going back to finish up JU-ON: The Grudge last night when the Wii croaked in the middle of my attempt to collect the last of the hidden items needed to unlock the final level, thus marking the end of my gaming time for the week.

Looking ahead to next week I really have no idea what I'm going to play. I won't have the funds to replace the broken Wii for at least 2 or 3 weeks and I don't have any games for other systems that I haven't played yet, so I might just end up taking a break from playing any significant amount of video games and just watch more movies and listen to audio books to pass the time over the next few weeks. I do know the misses is planning on finishing the last 2 levels of Alien Resurrection on the PlayStation though, so we should have at least some gaming time to contribute to the Classic tracker. Until then, and as always, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours! :)

• Like 4

I think I played and named this one before somewhere in the last 10 years... possibly when there was no tracker for modern games yet.

I have a previous entry for this exact game - Baby Pac-Man run in Visual PinMAME - so I'll add the minutes to the modern tracker. I don't know if thegoldenband will add it to the classic tracker as well, though I'll make a mention about it there as well.

• Like 1

That series kicks ass, I think my favorite is the second one. My wife watches the cut scenes like a movie after I beat the games.

Yeah, it took me a while to get to 4, but I am enjoying it. It has been a while since I played the others, but this one has got a bit more of "The Last of Us" in it. Longer sequences of story. It also seems like they turned the free-running up to 11 and emphasized climbing (and falling). In some ways it feels like the truest inheritor to the Tomb Raider legacy of all the Uncharted games I've played.

• Like 3

Week 41

Top games

1. Borderlands 1 (PC) - 1080 min.

2. Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox One) - 780 min.

3. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 718 min.

4. Far Cry 3 (PC) - 560 min.

5. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4) - 478 min.

6. Pokémon Ultra Sun (3DS) - 420 min.

7. Resident Evil HD Remaster (PC) - 415 min.

8. SimAnimals (Wii) - 409 min.

9. Escape from Bug Island! (Wii) - 360 min.

10. Deadly Creatures (Wii) - 270 min.

Top systems

1. PC - 2156 min.

2. Xbox One - 1725 min.

3. Wii - 1201 min.

4. PS4 - 478 min.

5. 3DS - 420 min.

Total 5980 minutes and 15 different games on 5 different systems.

Look! It happened again! Fourth week in a row where another game but PUBG ends up in the top. And yes, the total number of minutes is indeed our second highest count since this tracker started, only 53 minutes away from equaling week #1. I was almost waiting for Eltigro, Iwantgames or someone else semi-regular or for that matter entirely new participant to log their extra 54 minutes to set a new record, but it will come eventually I'm sure.

• Like 4

^^ We're traditionally doing couples, siblings here so if you want to keep track of how much your wife plays computer games, feel free to add those figures as well. Then again, perhaps if you stand there with a stop watch when the wife sits down to relax with playing some games, it might give the wrong impressions... ;-)

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

^^ We're traditionally doing couples, siblings here so if you want to keep track of how much your wife plays computer games, feel free to add those figures as well. Then again, perhaps if you stand there with a stop watch when the wife sits down to relax with playing some games, it might give the wrong impressions... ;-)

:D that's good to know!

Add 2340 minutes then to the Fallout 4 time ;)

• Like 2