IGNORED

Playing Sam's Journey, would an A8 version be possible

MaDDuck

Solo: you tend to disagree with me very often, I presume it's your hobby. Besides it was you who told me to focus on one project, wasn't it? Seems like a contradiction in what you are saying.

You can do whatever you want as long as you don't post it on internet- otherwise it's just a sign of narcisism. What I mean is that one shouldn't publish stuff just to show off with no intention of finishing it whatsoever. There are many examples of that, couple weeks ago some folk on aol published side scroller demo based on Shadow of the Beast- clearly with intention to show how good coder he is. When people started to insist he should finish it he dissapeared:)

Leszek Miller, polish polititian said " you recognise a man not by the way he starts but by the way he ends".

I'm certainly interested even in the unfinished stuff. I would even call for more. It's inspiration. I agree that 'finishing stuff' is special skill, completely different from coding. And it's very rare skill. But saying 'you should not publish unfinished stuff' is just silly.

• Like 4

unfinished stuff if you dont blame the guys doing that... might lead to inspiration and "proof of concept" maybe. so we are in a (not so free as it should be) world so if you want to release unfinished stuff do it... if you are doing it for your personal joy... do it... who cares in the end except yourself what you are doing... :)

You are right folks. But please don't pretend you are going to finish it when you don't have such skills.

One finished but mediocre game is better that 10 unfinished but brilliant projects. Its just the matter of honour and one's dignity:)

But yes I like the unfinished projects by Pr0be for example- but his intention was to test Atari possibilities, clearly stating that its just proof of concept. But when I see a project published with the mare intention to impress someone its a clear sign for me that one is not a serious "player". Not that I have no respect to that person anymore but it somewhat shows that he's not a serious guy.

Solo: you tend to disagree with me very often, I presume it's your hobby. Besides it was you who told me to focus on one project, wasn't it? Seems like a contradiction in what you are saying.

You can do whatever you want as long as you don't post it on internet- otherwise it's just a sign of narcisism. What I mean is that one shouldn't publish stuff just to show off with no intention of finishing it whatsoever. There are many examples of that, couple weeks ago some folk on aol published side scroller demo based on Shadow of the Beast- clearly with intention to show how good coder he is. When people started to insist he should finish it he dissapeared:)

Leszek Miller, polish polititian said " you recognise a man not by the way he starts but by the way he ends".

I actually have no idea how you concluded that - like literally I dont; didnt know disagree=hobby (or other random conclusion);

And how "people should estimate the efford needed to accomplish project wisely" is even near "focus on 1 project"? its two different thing on the basis; lets cut it here, didnt know it was so "offence"

• Like 1

I actually have no idea how you concluded that - like literally I dont; didnt know disagree=hobby (or other random conclusion);

And how "people should estimate the efford needed to accomplish project wisely" is even near "focus on 1 project"? its two different thing on the basis; lets cut it here, didnt know it was so "offence"

nothing "offence", just pointless

I have a question for you Emkay - if someone would leave aside 3d and just code 8-dir scrolling, platform game with jumps, picking up objects, lifts, switches, couple sprites per screen and all this using 4-5 color double scanline mode with little color added with PMs - would you say it's a good project to work on ?

Ofcourse. As I'd like to see such games on the Atari.

But, you may not impress people outside the "Atari-Area" .

Sure you can better sounds by using more CPU dedicated to music player but thats why you rather not find double or tripple speed played music in my demos...

It's not about the replaying speed. It's about the correct handling of POKEY's registers, to get better results for music replaying. After 40 Year there still is no Tracker available that does the correction for the basses. This doesn't really need more CPU cycles, except the extra commands for register programming. For example...

• Like 1

It's not about the replaying speed. It's about the correct handling of POKEY's registers, to get better results for music replaying. After 40 Year there still is no Tracker available that does the correction for the basses. This doesn't really need more CPU cycles, except the extra commands for register programming. For example...

What do you mean by "correction for the basses" ?

• 1 month later...

On Silly Venture there have been just shown such games for Atari 8-bit: "Flimbo's Quest" by New Generation (with nice parallax scrolling) and 8-directional action scroller "Druidarium" (WIP) by KK.

Totally blown away after watching the "live" stream , what a great achievements again on the A8

• 5 years later...

Yeah I looked at the beginning of this discussion, although it's quite old. Thus I though that perhaps sth changed... It would be nice to have it for Atari too...

Btw, what games developed in the latest years do you know as available both for C64 and Atari XL/XE?

On 12/16/2023 at 6:52 PM, JKK said:

Btw, what games developed in the latest years do you know as available both for C64 and Atari XL/XE?

I would say generally no major development works are done for both machines -- at least not by a single author/developer: people tend to code for one machine or the other. Where you will see some development for both (by a single author) is when these people are making software for handfuls or more of different systems together. So, the games being done by Under4MHz, Haplo, Hugo Labrande, and Inufuto are being made for both machines (and other systems). These tend to be the types of games that can easily be adapted to any system; so they tend not to exploit the machine's special features very much.

Night Knight was done on both systems, but by different authors. Also Bruce Lee - Return of Fury is on both systems now (as of 2022). Prince of Persia is now on both systems too. Rodman is another one (two versions of this were actually done for the Atari 8-bit computers -- for Antic E & Antic F).

@JKK just to add/bring to your attention the multi platform game (which has been out on the c64 also), called L'abbaye des morts, is currently been coded for the A8. The coder Fantomas is almost done if his last post is anything to go by. It looks amazing!!! 

Check it out:

As Mrfish says a coder normally codes for one platform. 

Defo check out prince of Persian on the A8. Many have said it's the best 8bit version made. 

There are exceptions. For example check out the other brand new multi platform title in the works, Tony, for which c64 and Amiga versions as well as an A8 version are being coded.:

• Like 1

I think there are at least two things standing in the way of an A8 version of Sam's journey:

• This is a contemporary commercial game (released on December 24, 2017) that has sold over 3,000 copies(!) on the C64. It's not abandonware or an old game that someone could port or tweak themselves. As I see it, only the creator (Knights of Bytes) has the right to make an A8 version. Besides, I think they'll be releasing an NES version soon.
  • I think the game makes full use of the C64's capabilities, so it would be quite a challenge to port it to most 8bit machines without too much downgrading.
  • Thanks 1