IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

I rummaged around in the xc3sprog code last night a bit. It looks like the prog_freq is set via -J for all cable types, but I couldn't see evidence that the sysfs gpio creator used the value.  ( I was looking at : https://github.com/matrix-io/xc3sprog ) 

It has been years now, but I feel like the wires I used from the PI were about 20cm long. The fact that you cannot read consistently speaks to that.

I know you've tested for continuity, but I have experienced a failure there that passes continuity checking, as the act of probing the CPLD pin would cause contact with the board. If you don't have a microscope, you can probably take a closeup with a modern phone and then zoom in to observe if contact is solid and clean. For this reason, I usually clean off the no-clean flux, so it is easier to see the solder joints.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 1:19 AM, InsaneMultitasker said:

I finally got around to installing the JTAG header on my 2nd TIPI card so that I could update its CPLD. 

@jedimatt42 when I enter the 'curl' command from the wiki, the response is 'no valid openPGP data found.  (I used my RPI to update the first card's CPLD in 2020, however, I reformatted the SD card back then and didn't reinstall xc3sprog at that time.)  How should I move forward and are there any wiki steps in need of any refreshing?  Thank you for your help.  

---

tipi@tipi:~ $ curl https://apt.matrix.one/doc/apt-key.gpg | sudo apt-key add -
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
tipi@tipi:~ $

---

Wiki steps: 

CPLD Programming With PI · jedimatt42/tipi Wiki · GitHub

Hi everyone, we are trying to program the cpld with rP0 but we too have this error, are there any updates? thanks to those who reply

The wiki was updated the day after InsaneMultitasker's post. The wiki describes the procedure that last worked for me. The issue described by TimC on this thread's previous page does not yet indicate a problem with the process on the wiki.

14 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

The wiki was updated the day after InsaneMultitasker's post. The wiki describes the procedure that last worked for me. The issue described by TimC on this thread's previous page does not yet indicate a problem with the process on the wiki.

thanks for the reply, I'm doing some tests starting from an RP0 W, when I give the first command

curl https://apt.matrix.one/doc/apt-key.gpg

I get the error

curl: (7) Failed to connect to apt.matrix.one port 443: Connection refused
the site is not reachable

49 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

Le mie istruzioni sono di scaricare il binario xc3sprog precompilato dal mio sito web. Invece di dipendere dal repository apt non più mantenuto di Matrix.one.

Italian coffe paid ! 😂

8 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

My instructions are to download the pre-compiled xc3sprog binary from my website. Instead of depending on the no longer maintained apt repository from matrix.one.

Ah, that's why I was having trouble too, more than likely. I'll look for that xc3sprog soon.

https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/CPLD-Programming-With-PI#installing-xc3sprog

It seems like some of you all are using some sort of ancient archive of the wiki or some third-party docs... If that is the case, I would recommend throwing them out. The wiki changes along side most updates to the TIPI software.

3 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/CPLD-Programming-With-PI#installing-xc3sprog

It seems like some of you all are using some sort of ancient archive of the wiki or some third-party docs... If that is the case, I would recommend throwing them out. The wiki changes along side most updates to the TIPI software.

Command ->

sudo /home/tipi/xc3sprog/build/xc3sprog -c sysfsgpio_creator

Answer ->
/home/tipi/xc3sprog/build/xc3sprog: error while loading shared libraries: libftdi.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

It seems that this library is missing, or am I wrong?

2 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

There we go, a missing step. 

Try: sudo apt install libftdi

I will say in his defense that step is not on the page, https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/CPLD-Programming-With-PI

I also had the same issue. I'll try again at another point, but am reading and saving all these Tipi Support pages for future reference. My evening time usage of the internet will be somewhat curtailed by the fact that it is my son's Internet and he, after work needs to have full access to do his night schooling for his paralegal course. At least till around 10:30-11pm.

Yeah, I'm not in a position to test at the time of my reply, or today for that matter. And I did not try to imply that was on the wiki. But the previous errors being shown to me were only achievable from a 2 year outdated wiki page.

Now we know that the current page is wrong too, and will soon be outdated.

• Like 1

I am thinking my issue is that my CPLD is not blank.  I read a post where xc3sprog has an issue erasing a chip sometimes.  I will try with an actual Xilinx programmer I found on Amazon unless someone has a better example and try to get that going.

Thanks for your help!  I will also check the cable lengths and my soldering job and report back my progress.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

Ho letto male Internet... il comando da provare, per installare il requisito libftdi di xc3sprog, è: sudo apt install libftdi1

(un "1" alla fine del nome del pacchetto)

after installing libftd1

command

answer

/home/tipi/xc3sprog/build/xc3sprog: error while loading shared libraries:

libwiringPiDev.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The wiringpi library went away in Bullseye version of Raspberry PI OS. I would guess you have to be using an old Buster based OS.

I get that TimC is programming the CPLD for an initial build. But the last update was 5 years ago and only useful for Geneve users. 

If you Geneve users are all lagging behind 3-5 years, maybe I should (as an act of kindness, as I don't support the Geneve) craft a buster image with the tool and libraries pre-installed.  There is a starting point all the way at the bottom of my downloads page... That image might even have the tool pre-installed, I know I did that at least once.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 10:34 AM, CosmicBoy said:

libwiringPiDev.so is missing, try "sudo apt-get install wiringpi"

cant find the package. 

well, finally now we can connect the 95144.

what have I done so far

donwoloaded img https://jedimatt42.com/downloads( tipi-sdimage-buster-2.37.zip )

wget https://jedimatt42.com/downloads/xc3sprog_buster.zip

unzip xc3sprog_buster.zip

sudo apt install libftdi1

wget https://www.jedimatt42.com/downloads/tipi_cpld.zip

unzip tipi_cpld.zip

chain not found 

Let's try/program this Chinese 95144 chip shi........t.

see you soon and thank you

438165172_826755199488649_7588377068715365103_n.jpg

Edited by fabrizio
news
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, fabrizio said:

cant find the package. 

well, finally now we can connect the 95144.

what have I done so far

donwoloaded img https://jedimatt42.com/downloads( tipi-sdimage-buster-2.37.zip )

wget https://jedimatt42.com/downloads/xc3sprog_buster.zip

unzip xc3sprog_buster.zip

sudo apt install libftdi1

wget https://www.jedimatt42.com/downloads/tipi_cpld.zip

unzip tipi_cpld.zip

chain not found 

Let's try/program this Chinese 95144 chip shi........t.

see you soon and thank you

438165172_826755199488649_7588377068715365103_n.jpg

@fabrizio I have made it to this point, but cannot get past this. Does it mean that I have a Chinese fake? apparently it seems not to be empty, not blank, is there a way to erase it while mounted on the tipi? Now this is the first one, I just tried a second one and it programmed just fine. I'll try the other 3. Well after trying the other 3, I have one that took the program, 4 that did not same messages as below. 

20240515_162701.jpg

20240515_162746.jpg

Edited by RickyDean
added content
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Can anyone tell me if I can use the Xilinix 14.7 package to erase the XC95144 chip and if so will a Diligent USB jtag cable be sufficient? I have the software and can order the cable from Mouser for 64.00.

I did get one of these to program but the other 4 just display the same info as the above pictures. I have 10 full size tipi cards coming and feel that I'll have the same issues when they get here.

Edited by RickyDean
spelling

The one tipi/32k sidecar that did program, doesn't work with the installed 32k. So I get a green screen then a memory full condition and then some random odd characters on the screen and it stops. So I placed my sidecar SAMs on the end and when I initiate call tipi the configuration screen loads up. So at least this one sidecar has a malfunctioning ram chip, maybe.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

That does not look like the chip will be properly powered in that socket.

And if you could please edit/delete that last nationally derogatory sentence, I would appreciate it.

it works well I tried various cplds that I couldn't program directly on the FG99.

7 hours ago, RickyDean said:

The one tipi/32k sidecar that did program, doesn't work with the installed 32k. So I get a green screen then a memory full condition and then some random odd characters on the screen and it stops. So I placed my sidecar SAMs on the end and when I initiate call tipi the configuration screen loads up. So at least this one sidecar has a malfunctioning ram chip, maybe.

hi, I finally programmed the cpld with the tipi_cpld.zip  version, the programming information corresponds to the document. I tried with the tipi_cpld.zip-V3 version from the Jedimatt website, it doesn't download, then I tried from gitHub, I tried to program the cpld but it gives me a "segment error" while if I try again to use the tipi_cpld.zip  version it works. Well I put the RAM, eprom, sd, after a few seconds of loading from the call tipi command the Memory Full error comes out with various characters on the screen.