IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

On 12/19/2023 at 4:11 PM, dhe said:

tipi-dsr-2023-08-04.zip - TIPI DSR ROM - 32k binary EPROM image

Is there an Electronically Erasable part number for this?

AT29C256 - https://www.digikey.com/htmldatasheets/production/54062/0/0/1/at29c256.html <- this is what I use in my own TIPIs

• Like 2

On 12/19/2023 at 4:08 PM, dhe said:

Will the oldest DSR work with the newest TIPI software?

What about the reverse?

For a 99/4A, The newest DSR adds devices DSK5-9, and CS1, and old TIPI (PI) software will just return an error if those devices are accessed. Old DSRs will just not present the devices to the 4A, or not have the obscure fixes that were in them... So the 2 are quite decoupled, and they fail gracefully.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

thanks for the responses @Duewester and @Vorticon! i finally have a spare moment to think about this again

On 12/14/2023 at 4:07 PM, Duewester said:

Greetings @bumbledee.

Let me see if I understand this.

You have the TiPi/32k combo board. Not the Tipi and a separate 32K board.

On MY TiPi/32k combo board, the Pi is powered via the board from the Ti. No EXTERNAL power supply.

I turn on my Ti and give my TiPi/32k a few minutes to boot. With or without FG99.

I then press the "any" key. from there I select basic and type Call Tipi.

My Ti with a TiPi and separate 32K board does indeed use an external Power Supply.

Both of them use a Pi 02 w

When I boot my Ti's I get a single tone so I'm a little confused by the "triple tone"

Yes, it is the combo board! It does also have the option to power the Pi from the TI via the TIPI; however, when I try this (by connecting the +5V pin on the TIPI to GPIO pin 4 on the Pi), the Pi doesn't actually seem to power on (the ACT LED doesn't come on, I can't access it through web services, etc). Weirdly though, if I do this jumper connection, leave the TI-99 powered off, and supply external power to the Pi, it actually *does* send that power to the TIPI.

Unfortunately, no matter how much time I give everything to boot, I never get the chance to press any key and select BASIC; I receive only an unyielding white screen.

As for the triple vs single tone, I just mean that to my ear it sounds like 3 single-frequency tones layered on top of each other playing in a single chord; it's not playing three separate notes in time.

On 12/14/2023 at 4:38 PM, Vorticon said:

Did you try cleaning your side port connector? Also with the PI/32K combo you have (I have the same), you need to support the board from underneath unless you have a case for it, otherwise you get glitching. Does the console boot up OK if you just plug in the carrier board without the RPi? Finally try a different CRU base just for kicks. I obviously assume that your console powers up fine without anything connected to the side port.

I'll definitely give the side port connector a good clean! I've suspected there's some contact or other that's a little shaky, especially because VERY occasionally, I get a really distorted picture that I'll try to get a capture of if I'm lucky enough to. I've tried every CRU base I can at this point, and I've been making sure to stabilize the board from below. The console does work just fine with no side port accessories (or indeed with the speech synthesizer), although it DOESN'T boot up if I plug in the carrier board sans Pi; I get the same white screen in that case.

Anyway, thanks with your help trying to help me narrow this down! I've been chatting with the person who assembled the board some more, and given the apparent inability of the Pi to get power from the TIPI, it's sounding more like there's an issue getting power to where it's needed. Of course, there's a chance a quick cleaning fixes the whole mess, so we'll see!

8 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

Can the PI clock be accessed at the low level? I'm trying to access it from UCSD Pascal but PI.CLOCK is not recognized as a valid file name so maybe I can find a way to access the data via a small embedded assembly language routine instead...

It is not like other 4A clocks that have a memory mapped chip to read... DSR mode is all that is supported. You could use a DSRLNK assembly implementation. Or look at the source for the TIPI DSR to see how it uses the TIPI message interface to perform open, read and close operations. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jedimatt42 said:

It is not like other 4A clocks that have a memory mapped chip to read... DSR mode is all that is supported. You could use a DSRLNK assembly implementation. Or look at the source for the TIPI DSR to see how it uses the TIPI message interface to perform open, read and close operations. 

Ok thanks. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

Is there some kind of documentation on the TIPI messaging system by any chance? Sifting through the TIPI DSR is probably above my pay grade...

PI.CLOCK · jedimatt42/tipi Wiki (github.com)

The above link is a simple XB program for open/read/close to get the information.  There is also the messaging system where you can use TCP or other protocols at Extension TCP · jedimatt42/tipi Wiki (github.com) that give some detail.  However, this route, I am not exactly sure where you would poll time from or how.  I think the open/read/close DSR route is the easiest.  I have provided a piece of code below I have used to read the clock.  I think that should give you enough info.

LIMI 0

LI   R0,>2180     LOAD PAB
       LI   R1,CLKPAB    LETS GET CLOCK DATE/TIME
       LI   R2,18
       BLWP @VMBW

AI   R0,9
       MOV  R0,@>8356

BLWP @DSRLNK
       DATA 8

LI   R0,>2180
       LI   R1,CLKPUB
       LI   R2,2
       BLWP @VMBW

AI   R0,9
       MOV  R0,@>8356

BLWP @DSRLNK
       DATA 8

LI   R0,>190B
       LI   R1,NUM
       LI   R2,2
       BLWP @VMBR

MOV  *R1,@HR$

LI   R0,>190E
       LI   R1,NUM
       LI   R2,2
       BLWP @VMBR

MOV  *R1,@MIN$

LI   R0,>2180
       LI   R1,CLKPCB
       LI   R2,2
       BLWP @VMBW

AI   R0,9
       MOV  R0,@>8356

BLWP @DSRLNK
       DATA 8

LWPI MYREG

LI   R1,TIMLIN    SEND TIME TO USER
       BLWP @OUTRS

LI   R1,HR$
       BLWP @OUTRS

LI   R1,COLON$
       BLWP @OUTRS

LI   R1,MIN$
       BLWP @OUTRS

LWPI GETTWS

RTWP

CLKPCB DATA >0104
CLKPUB DATA >0204
CLKPAB DATA >0004,>1900,>0000
       DATA >0000,>0008
       TEXT 'PI.CLOCK'
       EVEN

• Thanks 1

Thanks! I'm working within the UCSD Pascal environment and I'm not sure how much of this will be relevant because device PI is not recognized here. Natively UCSD Pascal only recognizes up to 3 disk drives, RS232 and the parallel port as devices. So I have to figure out if there is a way to patch it for other devices.

10 hours ago, Vorticon said:

Thanks! I'm working within the UCSD Pascal environment and I'm not sure how much of this will be relevant because device PI is not recognized here. Natively UCSD Pascal only recognizes up to 3 disk drives, RS232 and the parallel port as devices. So I have to figure out if there is a way to patch it for other devices.

Now I understand your dilemma. That is all I can do to help. 

• 2 months later...

I'm afraid to ask but need to. I purchased a sidecar tipi last year off ebay, then I purchased the sidecar Sams from arcadeshopper a couple of months later and a pi zero w after that. I think I hooked up the wrong end of the PI zero to the tipi, misunderstanding which side pin 40 was on. Long story short I can power the Pi and see it on the network, access it. I can run any of the memory test program's on the SAMS and all is fine. When I try to CALL TIPI, it just hangs there forever and I never see a TIPI name on the title screen. The led does light though. Did I kill my sidecar TIPI? If so is it just a matter of trying to burn the CLPD again, or replacing it. I never smelt any magic smoke nor do I see any obvious damage to the chip.

Edited by RickyDean
  • Sad 1

I'm going to ask this question. When I use the Raspberry PI imager to copy the buster image to the sd car, it ask if I want to change settings, So I do and go into the screen and add my wifi info then go out and I can then burn the image. Is the TIPI waiting and can't go further because I added that info? or should I have just copied the image then used call tipi and change it there? Maybe that's why it's hanging?

In my experience, the CPLD pins that connect to the PI end up fried. It usually acts like it is fine but can no longer signal the PI...

The fix has always been to replace the CPLD, and then reprogram it. 

The PI Imager should just be placing a wpa_supplicant on the boot partition. that shouldn't interfere with bootup. You should be able to ssh and observe that nothing is happening in the /var/log/tipi/tipi.log .

CALL TIPI/running TIPICFG never needs to happen if you don't want network access... or if you have used the wpa_supplicant to configure your wifi, or used an Ethernet cable....

10 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

In my experience, the CPLD pins that connect to the PI end up fried. It usually acts like it is fine but can no longer signal the PI...

The fix has always been to replace the CPLD, and then reprogram it. 

The PI Imager should just be placing a wpa_supplicant on the boot partition. that shouldn't interfere with bootup. You should be able to ssh and observe that nothing is happening in the /var/log/tipi/tipi.log .

CALL TIPI/running TIPICFG never needs to happen if you don't want network access... or if you have used the wpa_supplicant to configure your wifi, or used an Ethernet cable....

I just reflashed the SD card using Balena Etcher instead and it still locks at the call tipi. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to reprogram the CLPD with a PI 4B and see if that fixes it. If not then I'll see about ordering a CLPD somewhere and replace it. I actually may have 1 or two around here, as I was contemplating  building the PEB version of TIPI.

I just tried browsing into http://tipi:9900 and getting an error, so I'll go ahead and reflash nthe SD as originally done so at least I can get access to the PI Zero. Thanks

Edited by RickyDean

21 minutes ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

Aren't there another set of pins the message signals can be diverted to?:ponder:

Pins on the PI Zero or the TIPI? I've never used one before. I just ssh into the PI with PuTTY. am going to try some of Jedimatt's stuff here.

My bad you're asking Jedimatt that question. Sorry

Edited by RickyDean

29 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

running the first command after sshing into it I get this log info, but it just continues till I stopped it. Is it looking for the user tipi and instead I'm pushing it ricky@tipi?

"unter is at 1965.
Mar 16 21:23:17 tipi systemd[1]: Stopped TI-99/4A DSR Service.
Mar 16 21:23:17 tipi systemd[1]: Started TI-99/4A DSR Service.
Mar 16 21:23:17 tipi systemd[2694]: tipi.service: Failed to determine user credentials: No such process
Mar 16 21:23:17 tipi systemd[2694]: tipi.service: Failed at step USER spawning /home/tipi/tipi/services/tipi.sh: No such process
Mar 16 21:23:17 tipi systemd[1]: tipi.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=217/USER
Mar 16 21:23:17 tipi systemd[1]: tipi.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Mar 16 21:23:17 tipi systemd[1]: tipi.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 1966.
Mar 16 21:23:17 tipi systemd[1]: Stopped TI-99/4A DSR Service.
Mar 16 21:23:17 tipi systemd[1]: Started TI-99/4A DSR Service.
Mar 16 21:23:17 tipi systemd[2695]: tipi.service: Failed to determine user credentials: No such process
Mar 16 21:23:17 tipi systemd[2695]: tipi.service: Failed at step USER spawning /home/tipi/tipi/services/tipi.sh: No such process
Mar 16 21:23:17 tipi systemd[1]: tipi.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=217/USER"

Edited by RickyDean