IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

Until I get a new image out, people should use Raspberry PI Imager and have it set the wifi settings while flashing the SD card.

Hopefully I can fix this all this weekend. Apparently PI.CONFIG needs to be reimplemented to issue nmcli commands instead of manipulating wpa_supplicant files.

I will also fix my testing notes to give me more fear around testing wifi. 

• Like 2

I would like to understand how to read that. Could @jrhodes clarify please? It seems to me that you took the time to say something that literally goes without saying. 

Maybe this was literal, and just not thoughtful with regard to the audience. Or maybe this was a solicitation to find others that are not x.0 adopters. Or maybe this was an attempt at a ward to others? All of the above, and whatever other reason is fine, I would just like to know how to read the posts in this forum.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jedimatt42 said:

I would like to understand how to read that. Could @jrhodes clarify please? It seems to me that you took the time to say something that literally goes without saying. 

Maybe this was literal, and just not thoughtful with regard to the audience. Or maybe this was a solicitation to find others that are not x.0 adopters. Or maybe this was an attempt at a ward to others? All of the above, and whatever other reason is fine, I would just like to know how to read the posts in this forum.

Yes it was meant literally; I'm happy with my tipi the way it is and don't see a reason to update.

No, I'm not trying to stop anyone from upgrading to the latest version.

Sorry, guess I have a habit of just posting what ever is on my mind as if I was talking to myself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2024 at 10:42 AM, jrhodes said:

Sorry, guess I have a habit of just posting what ever is on my mind as if I was talking to myself.

And here I've been silent all this time with noise noise all in my head. 

Tipi is the next best thing to chocolate

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GDMike said:

Tipi is the next best thing to chocolate

I will find out soon enough as I tonight mine in and will be setting it up this weekend.

Only problem chocolate normally makes my sleepy so I hope I don't fall asleep enjoying my tipi.

IMG_20240614_171127_216.jpg

• Like 4

My starlink went out a couple of weeks ago, in the process of bring everything backup,

I was unable to access tipi's web page...

I saw a lot of these in the log:

root@gen-tipi:~# tail -F /var/log/daemon.log

un 15 11:54:00 gen-tipi avahi-daemon[343]: Registering new address record for 192.168.2.206 on wlan0.IPv4.
Jun 15 11:54:00 gen-tipi avahi-daemon[343]: Registering new address record for ::1 on lo.*.
Jun 15 11:54:00 gen-tipi avahi-daemon[343]: Registering new address record for 127.0.0.1 on lo.IPv4.
Jun 15 11:54:10 gen-tipi dhcpcd[663]: wlan0: Router Advertisement from fe80::f<snip>
Jun 15 11:54:21 gen-tipi avahi-daemon[343]: Withdrawing address record for fd94:<snip> on wlan0.

And before that Avahi was complaining about duplicate hostname. I decided maybe the best thing to do was just disable avahi.

sudo systemctl mask avahi-daemon
sudo systemctl disable avahi-daemon
sudo systemctl stop avahi-daemon

I could still ssh, but not go to the webpage.

O'yea, need to add the port :9900, I book marked that URL for future reference!

@dhe, So this sounds  like a solution without a problem? 

It seems avahi was just doing its job. What problem was solved by disabling avahi? Just log messages that made you suspicious? 

I do not recommend others disable avahi. 

I've never been able to set up my network using the TIPI configuration screen (aka CALL TIPI). I have to manually edit and add the wsupplicant file (that name always conjures visions of worshippers pleading with the TIPI gods to make it work 😄) to the SD card root for the network to take. 

13 hours ago, dhe said:

Do these have a corresponding version number in the DSR header?

image.thumb.png.b57244fe261713dea27712836b5ec3c5.png

No.

But those dates are in the ROM at >401A as a c-string ( null terminated char array )

The full build timestamp is there. This is shown in TIPICFG

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vorticon said:

I've never been able to set up my network using the TIPI configuration screen (aka CALL TIPI). I have to manually edit and add the wsupplicant file (that name always conjures visions of worshippers pleading with the TIPI gods to make it work 😄) to the SD card root for the network to take. 

I will take a stab at fixing how PI.CONFIG executes this. If interested, here is a detailed analysis of how the PI OS handles headless setup :  https://www.zansara.dev/posts/2024-01-06-raspberrypi-headless-bookworm-wifi-config/

• Like 1

I purchased a PI4, installed the bookworm version of tipi.

Backed up my old tipi, put new tipi in place, restored my backup.

Enabled emulation.

And all worked perfectly. Great Job Jedi!

I'm also rocking the latest tstat.

image.thumb.png.26d39a1961830e28a1321e6a68d62fd3.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dhe said:

I purchased a PI4, installed the bookworm version of tipi.

Backed up my old tipi, put new tipi in place, restored my backup.

Enabled emulation.

And all worked perfectly. Great Job Jedi!

I'm also rocking the latest tstat.

image.thumb.png.26d39a1961830e28a1321e6a68d62fd3.png

I believe 'RELDATE' in tstat (Geneve) is the value from PI.STATUS, the python side date. This is entirely different from the EPROM build date that is in the ROM. From my eyes, it looks like an equivalent 'COPY PI.STATUS CON:' command ( if that were to work from MDOS, IDK ) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

I believe 'RELDATE' in tstat (Geneve) is the value from PI.STATUS, the python side date. This is entirely different from the EPROM build date that is in the ROM. From my eyes, it looks like an equivalent 'COPY PI.STATUS CON:' command ( if that were to work from MDOS, IDK ) 

The info is also available from the MDOS command line via "TYPE PI.STATUS".  The program by default doesn't display the status info as its purpose is to compare the version and latest values, alert the user when an update is available, and facilitate an update.  Some may recall I had DSR problems a while ago because I wasn't diligently checking the version numbers, hence this program is intended to help users (Geneve) stay current.

• Like 2

Update 4.1 - 2024-06-19

- Fix web-ui 'daemon logs' page to show data from journalctl since last boot, as daemon.log is not used on bookworm

- Fix PI.CONFIG ( and TIPICFG indirectly ) to delegate to:   raspi-config nonint do_wifi_ssid_passphrase <ssid> <passphrase> 1

- includes 5 retries cause WiFi... and bad antennae.

This should solve configuring wifi for most US users. Including those with hidden SSIDs. Your network must be reachable for the settings to persist in the OS NetworkManager. 

Succeeding, and getting to an assigned ip address can take a bit. This is asynchronous from writing to PI.CONFIG as it is handed off to the service that runs as root. But it should work. It uses a documented feature of raspi-config, so I would expect them to preserve this functionality. 

I'll produce a new sd image soon, but not today. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Anyone try to use the "standard" Raspberry Pi standoff kit?  The screws are metric M2.5, or 2.5 mm diameter.  According to my web search, #2 screws are 2.18 mm.  So I would need to know if the holes drilled in the TIPI (PEB version from @arcadeshopper) are oversized enough to accommodate the 2.5 mm screws.

35 minutes ago, chris36 said:

Anyone try to use the "standard" Raspberry Pi standoff kit?  The screws are metric M2.5, or 2.5 mm diameter.  According to my web search, #2 screws are 2.18 mm.  So I would need to know if the holes drilled in the TIPI (PEB version from @arcadeshopper) are oversized enough to accommodate the 2.5 mm screws.

holes in the TipiPEB are 3mm diameter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

Update 4.1 - 2024-06-19

- Fix web-ui 'daemon logs' page to show data from journalctl since last boot, as daemon.log is not used on bookworm

- Fix PI.CONFIG ( and TIPICFG indirectly ) to delegate to:   raspi-config nonint do_wifi_ssid_passphrase <ssid> <passphrase> 1

- includes 5 retries cause WiFi... and bad antennae.

This should solve configuring wifi for most US users. Including those with hidden SSIDs. Your network must be reachable for the settings to persist in the OS NetworkManager. 

Succeeding, and getting to an assigned ip address can take a bit. This is asynchronous from writing to PI.CONFIG as it is handed off to the service that runs as root. But it should work. It uses a documented feature of raspi-config, so I would expect them to preserve this functionality. 

I'll produce a new sd image soon, but not today. 

Ok, well, it is still Today, so I'm a liar.  New 4.1 sdimage has been uploaded to my website for hopefully easier first time wifi setup the way I intended back in the original release. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

Ok, well, it is still Today, so I'm a liar.  New 4.1 sdimage has been uploaded to my website for hopefully easier first time wifi setup the way I intended back in the original release. 

did this fix also the issue with having a space in the wifi SSID?

The TIPICFG 4A code seems to be the source of this 'space' problem in the SSID ( found it, line 738 ).. it truncates input after a space... An alternative in TI BASIC that does work looks like:

10 OPEN #1:"PI.CONFIG",OUTPUT
20 PRINT #1:"WIFI_SSID=With spaces"
30 PRINT #1:"WIFI_PSK=goodguys"
40 CLOSE #1

I'll try and fix that soon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry.  When I searched for TELNET, there were 69 results.  Nice!  But I'm afraid I just screwed that up. 

New PEB TIPI user.  Installed per instructions.  I can SSH to the Pi.  I can view the TIPI web interface.  I can CALL TIPI from the 4A and get to settings.  But I can't TELNET to localhost, port 23, from the 4A.   However, I can TELNET from the 4A to thekeep.net, port 23. 

2024-06-29 11:40:25,098 TipiDisk    : INFO     Opcode 5 LOAD - TIPI.NET.TELNEU
2024-06-29 11:40:25,099 Pab         : INFO     opcode: Load, fileType: Sequential, mode: Update, dataType: Display, recordType: Fixed, recordLength: 0, recordNumber: 8198
2024-06-29 11:40:25,100 TipiDisk    : INFO     LOAD image size 5120
2024-06-29 11:40:25,966 TipiService : INFO     Request completed.
2024-06-29 11:40:37,771 TiSocket    : INFO     open socket(0) LOCALHOST:23
2024-06-29 11:40:37,773 TiSocket    : INFO     failed to connect socket: 0
2024-06-29 11:40:37,773 TiSocket    : INFO     closing socket

I'm using the SD image version that was available for Download on 29 June 2024.

Edited by chris36
Version