IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

Update 3.22 3.23 - 2023-09-03

- Experimental 16 sector per track, track dump to sector dump conversion.

TIPI supports converting DSK images to an extracted directory on your TIPI share. It delegates sector dump extraction to xdm99.py. However PC99 DSK images are in one of 3 track dump formats. Previously I have supported the 9 and 18 sector per track formats, for 40 track disks. 

Now I have extended this to support the 16 sector per track format, and to allow for 80 track (per side) disks images. I have implemented this from the spec at https://www.ninerpedia.org/wiki/Track_Dump_Format. I've already gotten tired of looking for disk images to test. 

If you find specific examples of incompatible disks, I am happy to receive them here, so that I may examine and keep this feature as 'magic' as possible.

-M@

Edited by jedimatt42
I missed a spot when testing, so I pushed another update.
  • Like 7

On 8/20/2023 at 2:27 AM, jedimatt42 said:

I've dropped an update to ForceCommand that supports the CS1 and DSK5-9 mapping with the builtin TIPIMAP command. 

Matt,

I was looking for some background information on how the path/filename should be if using CS1 in PI.CONFIG.  I was testing the use of CS1 from extended basic with the Geneve in rompage mode to see if things might work.  From what I can tell, it is not reading the file.  As an example file to test, I was using chutes.wav renamed to CHUTES from ftp.whtecho.com/Casssettes/

So, at the moment, I do not know if it is something in the roms/groms that may have been modified or something wrong with the configuration.  I am right now using CS1_FILE=TIP0.CS1.CHUTES in my PI.CONFIG file.

Beery

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

This may be a good alternative to a Raspberry pi too.

https://sequentmicrosystems.com/products/beagle-pi-raspberry-pi-emulator-using-beagle-board#:~:text=The Beagle-Pi is a,mapped to the identical interfaces.

It should allow using the Beaglebone Black as a Pi emulator. 

this is pretty much unnecessary at this point, I can order a pi any day .. for retail prices not scalper prices  if you want a 4 they sell out fast but more stock is coming in regularly now

44 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

This may be a good alternative to a Raspberry pi too.

https://sequentmicrosystems.com/products/beagle-pi-raspberry-pi-emulator-using-beagle-board#:~:text=The Beagle-Pi is a,mapped to the identical interfaces.

It should allow using the Beaglebone Black as a Pi emulator. 

Gotcha, I have several Bbb's, 1 original beagebone and 1 Pi. Just putting alternatives out there, just in case.

1 hour ago, 9640News said:

Matt,

I was looking for some background information on how the path/filename should be if using CS1 in PI.CONFIG.  I was testing the use of CS1 from extended basic with the Geneve in rompage mode to see if things might work.  From what I can tell, it is not reading the file.  As an example file to test, I was using chutes.wav renamed to CHUTES from ftp.whtecho.com/Casssettes/

So, at the moment, I do not know if it is something in the roms/groms that may have been modified or something wrong with the configuration.  I am right now using CS1_FILE=TIP0.CS1.CHUTES in my PI.CONFIG file.

Beery

There is no audio emulation in the TIPI CS1 support, TIPI catches LVL3 IO requests to device name "CS1", and directs them to the TIFILES file that you specify in the CS1_FILE entry in PI.CONFIG. 

See: https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/PI.CONFIG#cassette-file-mapping

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

None of the old file managers seem to work properly on real drives when TIPI is installed, even when DSK1 is not defined (DM2, Disk Master, DM 5000 etc...)

And DM2K 3.0 also has substantial issues here as well, where disk formatting fails on verify (although it seems that the disk ends up being properly formatted anyway) and file ops between TIPI folders and real drives do not work.

The only reliable way for me to transfer files to/from a real disk to the TIPI is via Force Command, but there is no disk formatting facility here.

3 hours ago, Vorticon said:

None of the old file managers seem to work properly on real drives when TIPI is installed, even when DSK1 is not defined (DM2, Disk Master, DM 5000 etc...)

And DM2K 3.0 also has substantial issues here as well, where disk formatting fails on verify (although it seems that the disk ends up being properly formatted anyway) and file ops between TIPI folders and real drives do not work.

The only reliable way for me to transfer files to/from a real disk to the TIPI is via Force Command, but there is no disk formatting facility here.

DM2 crashes for me if I try to initialise a disk with TIPI installed (had assumed it was just my copy of DM2 as CorComp disk manager is fine)

Just checked and setting the CRU base of the TIPI > CRU base of disk controller allows DM2 to function normally with TIPI installed

EDIT: I meant this as just information, not a solution…

• Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 10:17 AM, Vorticon said:

you need to set TIPI to a CRU higher than 1100 if you want to use that old stuff as it will latch on to the first DSK1. it sees and then lose its mind when its not a disk controller.

DM2K latest version works fine with TIPI at any CRU you just have to specify DSK0. rather than TIPI. this is due to Fred using routines based on DSK in the device name I assume..

On 9/28/2023 at 12:31 PM, arcadeshopper said:

you need to set TIPI to a CRU higher than 1100 if you want to use that old stuff as it will latch on to the first DSK1. it sees and then lose its mind when its not a disk controller.

DM2K latest version works fine with TIPI at any CRU you just have to specify DSK0. rather than TIPI. this is due to Fred using routines based on DSK in the device name I assume..

The issue is not accessing TIPI with DM2K, but rather the physical drives, which is where it seems to struggle. Honestly, if floppy formatting is implemented with FC, there would be little need for a disk manager as everything could be done from within FC.

10 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Is there an emulation-ready image or package for the bullseye 3.x TIPI?  The downloads section here  https://jedimatt42.com/dl  is the 2.37 version. 

The latest image for real PI usage, is emulator compatible. Although not QEMU compatible. You can even use the web-ui on your existing real TIPI, and switch it between emulation mode and hardware mode. 

image.thumb.png.fd800e2bf99a2eae1de56b8e7940c853.png

image.thumb.png.4d56e8409bb7c8ce779a9c5541fd9365.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Vorticon said:

The issue is not accessing TIPI with DM2K, but rather the physical drives, which is where it seems to struggle. Honestly, if floppy formatting is implemented with FC, there would be little need for a disk manager as everything could be done from within FC.

I agree, I should install a floppy controller, and implement a floppy format command for ForceCommand

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

The latest image for real PI usage, is emulator compatible. Although not QEMU compatible. You can even use the web-ui on your existing real TIPI, and switch it between emulation mode and hardware mode. 

I should have mentioned that I am trying to set up an emulated TIPI for use with MAME.  Does the above comment mean that the two options are to use QEMU with 2.37 or a real RPi with the latest image?

9 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

I should have mentioned that I am trying to set up an emulated TIPI for use with MAME.  Does the above comment mean that the two options are to use QEMU with 2.37 or a real RPi with the latest image?

Yes

I don't enjoy QEMU, and would prefer to put the energy in maintaining that into a native x86 package.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2023 at 11:17 AM, jedimatt42 said:

Yes

I don't enjoy QEMU, and would prefer to put the energy in maintaining that into a native x86 package.

Thank you for confirming. This wasn't evident to me from the wiki nor download page.

I changed my TIPI from GPIO mode to emulator mode then connected via MAME. Success!  Very nice and easy once I had all the pieces in place. 

Here is a screenshot from the MAME Geneve; seems I need to update my tipi.  ;) 

image.png.05c0ad33548458144e5d3cb014daa398.png

(Thanks also to @dhe and @mizapf for their patience in answering my general MAME setup-related questions)

• Like 3

Update 3.24 - 2023-10-01

- Added support in TIPICFG to map DSK5-9

- TIPICFG v13

- There are now pages of config, so you can press space to go to the next page of things, and there are only 3 pages, so it is a cycle. 

Upon update from TIPICFG, you will still be running the old version of TIPICFG until you exit back to the title screen and reload TIPICFG. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

Update 3.24 - 2023-10-01

- Added support in TIPICFG to map DSK5-9

- TIPICFG v13

- There are now pages of config, so you can press space to go to the next page of things, and there are only 3 pages, so it is a cycle. 

Upon update from TIPICFG, you will still be running the old version of TIPICFG until you exit back to the title screen and reload TIPICFG. 

Nice update, thanks

Are there any plans to have a folder/file rename function in the TIPI web interface in the future please?

• Like 2