IGNORED

Gyruss for Intellivision?

My understanding is that this is a homebrew game. That being said, assuming that the game is in PAL format as opposed to NTSC will a homebew game from the EU be region locked, not compatible with US consoles, or unplayable due to the PAL format?

This game is produced by pirates and scammers trying to speculate on dumb collectors willing to buy boxes rather than games

• Like 1

I'm pointing out the apologetic waffling that tempers your "continuously stating that this is NOT normal behaviour" comments. Almost every one of your paragraphs is a "it's bad, but ... not too bad"; "there is no problem; but if there was it's not a big deal"; "nobody is supporting this; but some may" ...

This is pure nonsense and repeating the same inaccurate take on what is actually being said will not make it come true. At no time have I said "there is no problem" or "it's not too bad" or "nobody is supporting this". If you wish to quote someone at least use their actual words instead of making up garbage to support your own assumptions. Here are your same interpretations with the actual truth added...

This is bad but not indicative of the community in general.

This IS a problem but it's not the wide spread disaster some of you are making it out to be.

While a few of these may sell, the larger community will not support this.

I can't make this any more clear to you though I'm sure you will ignore it and continue to repeat the same make believe quotes to make your point.

Secret releases to a special cadre of a few -- "It's only what? 2 games? Oh, but that was probably due to some licensing thing"

Yes there have been 2 known and one of them absolutely was done out of fears of an IP issue, that being BC's Quest for Tires. And it did eventually see a full release. So really we are down to one that we are aware of. But to my greater point, I agree this is NOT a good thing for the community and have said as much. Still, yet again, you make this out to be me saying it's not that big of a deal when I am actually saying you need to stop with the fear mongering about some imminent crash and pretending this is some sort of trend when it is not.

Prices keep getting too high and exploit the speculators and completists in the community -- "Nah, it's normal supply and demand; the market will correct itself"

Yes and this is bearing itself out too. All of 6 Gyruss games have sold on eBay since it was listed at that ridiculous US$160 price. 6! People are voting with their wallets just as I said. Publishers will see that this is not viable and either lower costs or leave the production to the folks who know how to bring a game to market at reasonable prices.

New home-brews are released with copyright notices on the boxes from Activision, Atari, and Mattel; it erodes the meaning of copyright and suggests an invitation to piracy -- "But, but, it makes it look more authentic!"

Not something I have ever said, here or anywhere else. If you are referring to what "others" have stated then I would say that if those companies don't seem to care enough to go after the people placing that on their homebrew releases then it must not be that big of an issue. Seems like another thing you are trying to blow up into some kind of major issue when it actually is not. For myself, I would support getting rid of any such references just to avoid the possibility of IP issues happening in the future but this not indicative of the kind of thing that will trigger any sort of crash or bring about the death of the community you Chicken Little types want to pretend it is.

People are now selling empty boxes of games that never existed in order to tap into that OCD collector mentality -- "We're only providing what people want. Besides, it's not like we're making money ... well only a little."

Yeah, and? If you don't want them, don't buy them. This is little more than you having a "Stop liking what I don't like" tantrum. Your personal pet peeves are not reflective of the community in general. Get over yourself.

Someone stole someone else's code and publishes it as their own and gets ostracized -- "Well, he already apologized, and it was only this once ..."

Again, a false quote from you. I will happily admit I was more than willing to give these guys the benefit of the doubt and a chance to make it right if they followed artrag's requirements to produce the full code here on AtariAge for him to inspect as proof they had removed all of the code they took from his program. They failed and so Gyruss is dead to me. Again, I will be purchasing Deep Zone when it comes out and supporting artrag's original work. Having played the demo at PRGE I can say it is a really fun game even in unfinished form.

Someone now selling that stolen game -- "It's only a single occasion, nobody will support it, and it won't stop the originally from selling well ..."

You're batting 1.000 on false quotes though you are half right on this one. It won't stop Deep Zone from selling well so not sure what point you think you are making there. Also again, a whole SIX copies have sold on eBay... SIX! That sure is some massive support for stolen code from the community right there! ...wait... wait for it.... :roll:

BOOM! Hey that is fun! :lolblue:

It serves to splinter the community more and more and erodes trust and fosters acrimony among a few. It's not healthy.

This right here gets to my greater point as well. It's not the guys like me who are defending the community and its clearly observable values that fosters mistrust and an unhealthy air. It's you guys who falsely inflate isolated incidents into some make believe epidemic before crying that the end is near that create unhealthy attitudes towards your fellow collectors and a propagate a negative view of the community. You label anyone who disagrees with your depressing take as enablers and speculators just because they see things differently. You twist what they say to fit your own point of view even when that requires all truth and logic to be lost from their message to do so.

You like TL;DR summations so much? Well here's one for ya:

Your problem is you.

P.S. Never heard the "captain eyeroll" epithet before. Sounds neat. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

P.P.S. Liar. But I did like how after calling you out on that you stopped using it for months until I brought it up again here and now it's back. I guess what we really need is a puppet emoji :lolblue:

Blah blah blah blah ...

P.P.S. Liar. But I did like how after calling you out on that you stopped using it for months until I brought it up again here and now it's back. I guess what we really need is a puppet emoji :lolblue:

Here, let me boost your ego some more: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:P

• Like 1

Here, let me boost your ego some more: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:P

Captain Eyeroll is the hero AtariAge deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll quote him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a vocal guardian, a watchful protector. A pale-greenish knight!

;)

Captain Eyeroll is the hero AtariAge deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll quote him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a vocal guardian, a watchful protector. A pale-greenish knight!

;)

HA HA HA HA HA HA.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :mad: :mad: oops wrong key!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :P

• Like 1

I don't want to sound disrespectful and to interupt your flirting, but actually Captain Eyeroll is a cool name for a marvellish new hero. I suggest to use it for the main character of a new game

Yeah! :thumbsup: :thumbsup! Oh, wait, I mean :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I am busy with other projects right now, but maybe someone else can use it. :)

• Like 3

Yeah! :thumbsup: :thumbsup! Oh, wait, I mean :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I am busy with other projects right now, but maybe someone else can use it. :)

Nah man, just mock up some initial gameplay code and post it here. Then we just have to wait for someone to copy it and release it complete in box :lolblue:

I don't want to sound disrespectful and to interupt your flirting, but actually Captain Eyeroll is a cool name for a marvellish new hero. I suggest to use it for the main character of a new game

Lol! I honestly thought the exact same thing. What I love about threads of all kinds in the Inty forums is you just never know when a game idea, character, meme or other potential Inty specific cultural touchstone will magically make its way into our lexicon. These are good times indeed. (And for what it's worth, if a crash is truly coming I officially offer to buy everyone's CIB Spikers for $100 right now, no questions asked) ?

• Like 1

Looks like everyone is getting their own signature emoji.

Eric has the mad face :mad:

DZ had the eyeroll :roll:

I suppose I should probably pick one before they're all taken. I think I'll go with the startled Cyclops with no nose :idea:

That's not a Cyclops with no nose... it is an emoji of a Minion

I call dibs on the "I am with dummy" emoji :arrow:

• Like 1

He said, using a 5th grade response. But you should know DZ earned that nickname by continuously talking down people, a few he targeted over and over again, with the eyeroll emoji repeated throughout his posts. He stopped using that little diddy after being called out on it though, which I found hilarious.

Wow. We all huh? So you and 2 other guys represent everyone here and I'm the sole outlier. That's quite a lot of hubris based on a few posts.

Your opinion doesn't equal fact. But if you'd like to actually post some facts here I'd be happy to dissect them for you.

So you wish to double down on the assertion that my specifically stating this poor behavior is not normal is somehow normalizing said poor behavior? Do yourself a favor and Google "circular reasoning" then get back to us.

No one is saying that this Gyruss incident isn't a bad thing, despite some poor efforts in reading here, but that a single occurrence is not reason enough to scream "The sky is falling! There is no escaping a mega-crash now!"

But since you fancy yourself an expert and your "facts are better than mine", tell us when you predict this crash to occur and just how hard are you expecting it to hit. I mean really nail down your position for everyone unless it's just all hyperbole and no substance.

Quite a lot to dissect here. First, these posters and I who claim this crash is coming are praised both in these forums and in private messaging. You've got a couple of people with you but that's barely anything.

Facts? Have you already forgotten the prices I mentioned before? I can't see how you'd dissect that. I'll get back to that for your final point later.

Sure, this one incident isn't going to cause the entire community to implode on its own. But it starts with saying "oh, it's just once, it's bad but not a big deal". One thing leads to another, this is common sense. Even if you're not intending to make this seem okay, you have to treat it like it is: quite a big deal, as artag's code was completely stolen and sold at ridiculous prices. It doesn't matter if you treat it like it's bad, you have to treat it like it's horrible to make sure any potential scammers in the community get the message. We cannot let this happen again, but I'm sure it will regardless. It will not cause a "mega-crash" immediately, but it will eventually lead to one.

I will gladly tell you not only when this crash will happen, but also the fate of some of the other communities here on AA. Let's begin.

Starting of course with this community that we're arguing over, things will go something close to the following: potential scammers will see people like you saying once won't kill anyone. They won't care about the insults they'll take, even if they sell only six copies of their game that's still $900 in gross profit for them (since they'll see selling their games at $150 works). It costs them a bit to print everything and there's eBay fees, so let's say $800 net profit. Once they succeed, more scammers will do this. This will continue until no one can trust anyone in the community and production of homebrew will halt. This even includes guys like Rev and Elektronite, as the scammers are buying one copy each of their games, then burning them on PCBs and selling them on eBay for cheaper. (Nowhere near as much profit, but enough to make it worth doing for them.) All fan sites will also become mostly inactive, e.g. IntellivisionRevolution. With no one caring about the system anymore, expect to see Tutankham and Super Cobra on eBay for as low as ~$30 CIB. Expect this result to be reached around 2021, maybe 2022.

Of course, there's one looming wrench in this theory that you're all thinking of: the Amico. However, this will either barely or not at all affect the crash. To understand why, we have to think about who will be buying the Amico. The people who grew up with the INTV but aren't part of the community will not want to go out and start collecting for the system after this, but instead be thinking, "wow, I can play games like Night Stalker on a modern system with newer graphics, the original system's useless now". The parents who buy it for their kids may not even know what the INTV is, so they won't care. Finally, the people currently in the community will be already starting to get annoyed and frustrated at the scams occurring, and though they'll still keep up with the INTV at first they'll eventually get so pissed that they'll say, "fuck it, I'll just play the Amico ports of those games". There may be a few oddballs who fit into the first category and decide to try to get into the system, but upon coming places like here they'll quickly decide it's not worth it. Thus, the crash persists.

Now, the fate of the CV community. Opcode will continue to delay DK Arcade, still stringing people along. Eventually, everyone will hit a breaking point and Opcode (or at least its CV portion, not sure about the Omni but that's a different topic) will collapse, taking a nice chunk of the community with it. What remains will be almost entirely revolving around Collectorvision, and discussion of any kind about the system beyond their games will be highly limited. Another major reason for this is that newer generations who begin to take over the Youtube review space will lack interest in the console, and thus reviews will be limited.

Oh, but don't expect Collectorvision to last eternally either. Eventually, they'll run out of arcade and MSX ports to make, and honestly they've already been slightly Opcode-ish as well - over two years ago they claimed to be starting work on ports of Donkey Kong 3 and Radar Scope, but nothing's been said about either since. Expect most of the community to be dead by 2022.

The 7800 community, while initially appearing in okay shape is dying as well. It comes down to two major issues: lack of drive from programmers and the XM Module. Programmers are losing interest and ambition to make new games, and thus the stream of games is steadily drying up. They're still coming out, but it gets slower every year. Without new games, it will be difficult to maintain interest. The other issue is the XM Module. This is essentially the same deal as the CV's DK Arcade: it's been in development for years, but keeps getting delayed and the developer keeps getting distracted. The community will eventually be destroyed by the combination of these factors, and the console will become an extremely niche oddity with little to no value. Expect this around late 2021.

Not all is doomed, however. While I can't speak for the 2600 and Vectrex communities, I can safely say that the 5200 community will live on. New controller solutions are coming out all the time, there's a steady though not overwhelming stream of homebrews coming out for it, interest is higher than it's ever been, it's not a terribly expensive console to collect for (usually), and most importantly there's no scams going on in it. While so much around it crumbles, it will live on.

P.S. I'm sure he stopped using it just because you said something. Definitely not because he recognized it was immature and stopped of his own accord.

Scams are indicative of a healthy community. Scammers only show up if there is money to be made so if the communuty is too small you won't see any scams. In general, counterfeiting is a huge problem, it's everywhere, unavoidable, and it's getting worse. In the Intellivision community there are individuals that you can trust and that won't change.