IGNORED

Amoeba Jump

Dionoid

10 hours ago, Albert said:

Sorry to hear that as far as August goes.  I wonder if this change in dates will affect attendance at all.

I do not sell PAL cartridges at the show since 99% of the attendees are from the US or Canada.  I have made PAL carts for people who have let me know in advance they would be at the show and the specific games they were interested in.

..Al

@Albert I'm going to change my plans and visit the PRGE this year; I got green light from both work and my family! ?

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Portland Retro Gaming Expo 2019 was a blast!!

It was a pleasure to meet Albert and his wife, John Champeau and his brother Paul, and of course James and Tanya from ZeroPage Homebrew.

Here are some photos of Amoeba Jump being sold at the AtariAge booth. The box and cartridge labels look great!

Thanks to Nathan for the artwork and Albert for the high quality printing and cartridge production.

IMG_4305.thumb.JPG.329ce4caf94935fe7b03cf8335de0f2d.JPGIMG_4307.thumb.JPG.9e1bcee19d956830a2616cc223cf4b3c.JPGIMG_4322.thumb.JPG.c9271a0107959c40c9ac558ef78044f7.JPGIMG_4317.thumb.JPG.01393e4f56e2dbb0e57bbb4a61d581c9.JPG

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 13

4 hours ago, Dionoid said:

Portland Retro Gaming Expo 2019 was a blast!!

It was a pleasure to meet Albert and his wife, John Champeau

Wait... Albert and John are married?

;)

4 hours ago, Dionoid said:

Here are some photos of Amoeba Jump being sold at the AtariAge booth. The box and cartridge labels look great!

Thanks to Nathan for the artwork and Albert for the high quality printing and cartridge production.

Thanks for asking me to work on such a fun project! I'm glad it turned out well, and can't wait to start reading peoples' reviews in the AA store.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

CONGRATULATIONS to Amoeba Jump for being nominated in the 2019 Atari Homebrew Awards!

Be sure to vote your favourite homebrew games of 2019 with the links below and watch the awards LIVE on February 1, 2020!

Awards Show: February 1, 2020 @ 12:00PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Channel!

Atari Homebrew Awards Categories (VOTE IN ALL!!):

1646422023_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestPackagingAtari2600.jpg.9823af322fb016655c0dc72125869f94.jpg1416721094_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestMusicSoundAtari2600.jpg.8a1a07df2f0ab8d93a75a83bbc090578.jpg1412697805_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestHomebrewAtari2600.jpg.519416f2e6b4843036261f5a91673f77.jpg750243760_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-Best4KHomebrewAtari2600.jpg.45b0c236451076679170ebe19d65c92e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

645368721_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Winner-Best4KHomebrewAtari2600.thumb.png.5134d41b5aa53f73528a9114f234f651.png

2019 ATARI HOMEBREW AWARDS RESULTS

Thank you everyone for an amazing event today. Congratulations to all the nominees and the winners! You can watch the replay on Twitch or when it's posted on YouTube tomorrow!

Atari 2600: Best Homebrew ≤4K
1) Amoeba Jump by Dion Olsthoorn "Dionoid"
2) Space Game 2KB by Karl Garrison "Karl G"
3) Caverns by Harold Thijssen

Atari 7800: Best Homebrew
1) Rikki & Vikki by PenguiNet "TailChao"
2) Baby Pac-Man by Bob DeCrecenzo "PacManPlus"
3) Draker Quest II by Clark Otto "frankodragon"

Atari 2600: Best Packaging
1) Rally Racer by More Work Games
2) Galagon (Galaga) by Champ Games (packaging by Dave Dries)
3) Wizard of Wor Arcade by Champ Games (packaging by Dave Dries)

Atari 2600: Best WIP
1) Zoo Keeper by Champ Games
2) Ninjish Guy in Low Res World by Vladimir Zuñiga (aka John Von Neumann) "vhzc"
3) Penult by Karl Garrison "Karl G"

Atari 8-Bit/5200: Best Homebrew
1) Gravity Worms - Krzysztof "xxl" Dudek, Jakub "Aceman" Szeląg, Kamil "Vidol" Walaszek
2) Jet Set Willy 2019 - Terence "Tezz" Derby (original game by Matthew Smith)
2) Wasteland - Michael Jaskula

Atari 2600: Best Music & Sound
1) Wizard of Wor Arcade by Champ Games (sound by Mike Haas with Ross Keenum)
2) Galagon (Galaga) by Champ Games (sound and music by Ross Keenum)
3) Aardvark by Oscar Toledo Gutiérrez "nanochess" and Thomas Jentzsch (design and coding), Nathan Strum (graphics and packaging)

Atari 2600: Best Graphics
1) Aardvark by Oscar Toledo Gutiérrez "nanochess" and Thomas Jentzsch (design and coding), Nathan Strum (graphics and packaging)
2) Galagon (Galaga) by Champ Games (graphics by Nathan Strum)
3) Wizard of Wor Arcade by Champ Games (graphics by Nathan Strum)

Atari 2600: Lifetime Achievement Award
Albert Yarusso

Atari 2600: Best Homebrew
1) Galagon (Galaga) by Champ Games
2) Aardvark by Oscar Toledo Gutiérrez "nanochess" and Thomas Jentzsch (design and coding), Nathan Strum (graphics and packaging)
3) Wizard of Wor Arcade by Champ Games

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

@ZeroPage Homebrew interviews Dion Olsthoorn/@Dionoid (Amoeba Jump, Tower of Rubble, Fool's Gold) at PRGE 2019!

At long last, here is my interview with Dionoid from last year at Portland Retro Gaming Expo where I talk with him about his newly released Atari 2600 homebrew Amoeba Jump, upcoming Tower of Rubble and new projects on the horizon! Enjoy!

• Like 5

@Dionoid, your game Amoeba Jump is going to be used in the next round of 2020 Harmony Games on May 9th. is Version 1.3 the final version or the demo?
For the Harmony games this year, we are trying to see if we can use the current version of the game either finished or next completed demo so players can get more interest of the game. so let me me know before then.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

We'll be playing Amoeba Jump as part of the 2020 Harmony Games #3 on tomorrow's (Sun Jun 7) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/12/2021 at 11:26 AM, Bomberman94 said:

Is there a chance for a sequel - I have some ideas of new/other elements?!

I never thought about a sequal, as I'm pretty happy with how the game turned out within the 4K limit (IIRC I had only 7 or 8 bytes left).

Knowing the list of other game ideas I have, I'd say the chances are very slim. But you never know ?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Prizrak said:

Nah, I totally suck suck at it but it's fun to play for sure!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You're not alone...this type of game is my Achilles' heel, but 100% agree that Amoeba Jump is fun.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, devwebcl said:

Is the cart version newer than rom published in this thread?

The cart version contains a few extras, like an optional two player alternating mode (featuring Ms. Amoeba) and SaveKey support. But the single-player game is the same.

Also, the cart version gives you the manual and box (optionally) with great artwork by Nathan Strum.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is good how the platform is generated. It is clear the pattern changes depending on the color (yellow, blue, white). How did you calculate these platforms so each time, there is at least one feasible path?

Also, when I have completed the word amoeba and get the rainbow jump, does it matter if I use red or green arrow/mushroom?

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my cart the other day, and tonight was my first run through.  I could NOT stop playing!  Even though I am awful at it lol (platformers were always my bane).  It's just...so...addictive!  This is just one of the best executed and interesting concepts I have come across in ages.  The physics are amazing and exhilarating, it's just an amazing game all around.

Thank you so much for this!!!

• Like 4

• 11 months later...
On 6/13/2022 at 9:22 PM, LatchKeyKid said:

I just didn't see a rule against thread necro over in the forum subforum rules thread so figured I'd post here.  I love the intro music!  Great job on that.  I don't think I've heard a chiptune that catchy since the 90s.  :)

Thanks! Finally these piano lessons which I took when I was a kid, pay off ?

To create this little tune, I used a cheap Casio keyboard and marked all the keys which tones could be "sort of" reproduced on the Atari 2600 (see photo below; the numbers 12 and 4 correspond to the audio control registers).

I think I learned this trick from a recorded interview with Gary Kitchen, where he said that for his game 'Pressure Cooker' he asked a musician to write music with only a limited range of tones which fitted the Atari VCS.

My intention was to come up with a tune similar to 'Heart and Soul', which is short and easy to repeat. The intro music of Amoeba Jump was the result ?

IMG_6587.thumb.JPG.41e4637fe3a541f7482e614d4a1543a7.JPG

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 6