IGNORED

EmuParadise has removed its entire library of retro game ROMs and ISOs

i don't really care what you do. But just because your old disk went bad doesn't entitle you to steal new copies. That's not how it works. No I'm not going to stop you. I'm just trying to enlighten you to the fact that you're not really justified in downloading shared roms you don't own, no matter what level of justification you invent for yourself.

You keep making statements in this thread like these and presenting them as hard facts (You are not justified because I SAY SO), but...

post-14204-0-15604600-1536173967.jpg

• Like 1

You keep making statements in this thread like these and presenting them as hard facts (You are not justified because I SAY SO), but...

attachicon.gifthe-dude.jpg

No, copyright law is copyright law. People here keep making up these ridiculous hypothetical scenarios to justify having entire full romsets for consoles. It's hilarious.

"They're abandoned!" - No, they aren't.

"Fair Use!!!" - that doesn't apply to torrenting full romsets of games.

"Existing Copyright laws are UNFAIR!!!" - THAT, is an opinion. The law is still the law.

"We're PRESERVING HISTORY!!!" - No, you're torrenting video games and illegally sharing them with massive amounts of people. If you were preserving them, you would be running a museum. *Your basement mancave doesn't qualify as a museum, no matter how old and stinky that couch might be.

"Nintendo is GREEDY!!!" Yeah? Even if they are, it still doesn't give you the legal right to steal their material and share it illegally.

But my absolute favorite:

"We're going to Boycott Nintendo!!!" -

• Like 3

The only reason the mullet is annoying is because he's annoyingly reminding you that what he says it right. Don't have to like it, but like the law you either respect it, or not, but it doesn't go away.

and I'm not even telling anyone they have to obey the law. Be a pirate! Enjoy this easy access to these games while you can. Live your life. Just stop acting like you're entitled to take things you have no right to, while wrapping it up in some ridiculous self-justification so you feel like what you're doing is righteous. It's not. It's theft. But it's theft you can luckily get away with because it's so easy to do, and difficult to police.

No, copyright law is copyright law. People here keep making up these ridiculous hypothetical scenarios to justify having entire full romsets for consoles. It's hilarious.

"They're abandoned!" - No, they aren't.

"Fair Use!!!" - that doesn't apply to torrenting full romsets of games.

"Existing Copyright laws are UNFAIR!!!" - THAT, is an opinion. The law is still the law.

"We're PRESERVING HISTORY!!!" - No, you're torrenting video games and illegally sharing them with massive amounts of people. If you were preserving them, you would be running a museum. *Your basement mancave doesn't qualify as a museum, no matter how old and stinky that couch might be.

"Nintendo is GREEDY!!!" Yeah? Even if they are, it still doesn't give you the legal right to steal their material and share it illegally.

But my absolute favorite:

"We're going to Boycott Nintendo!!!" -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

Who said torrenting full rom sets is fair use. Is that from this discussion. Where are you getting this stuff.

What system rom sets are abandoned. Channel F perhaps?

Again, more moralizing justifications. That's not how the law works.

Here's a for instance:

Say you own a classic muscle car, like a 1971 Chevy Chevelle, and one day, the distributor cap goes, and you can't get it started. You search and search but all the options you find for replacement parts on ebay or through local parts dealers are too expensive for your budget. Then you find out there is an old Chevy factory two towns over, that is still owned by Chevy, but no longer producing parts. But - they have a storage facility on the grounds with the exact part you need. Are you justified in breaking in and taking the parts you need? Nobody is using them. They aren't trying to sell them anymore. It's not hurting their business. But it's still not legal.

That's different because it requires physical trespassing and breaking and entering and you could go to jail for that alone

Playing a cracked rom of a game you own is more like 3D printing a part or having someone create an ad-hoc replacement (which people do to maintain old cars)

Plus if Chevy is sitting on a mountain of these parts and refuse to sell them, and nobody who works there would help me out, they are just being a-holes.

• Like 2

He just seems so angry about it. Why is everybody yelling?

Nobody is yelling. In fact I've spent the better part of this thread quite literally laughing my ass off at the mental gymnastics people put themselves through to convince themselves what they are doing is justified and legal.

It's like watching a 5 year old trying to fashion an elaborate answer to where all the cookies went, with crumbs on their chin and chocolate on their shirt.

• Like 1

Cookie EULA

1. LIMITED USE LICENSE

Subject to your compliance with the terms and conditions of the Agreement, you are hereby granted a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited right and license to use one (1) copy of the Cookie solely and exclusively for your personal and non-commercial use. This Agreement shall also apply to any chips, nuts or sprinkles you may obtain for the Cookie. IN ACCORDANCE WITH AND NOT INTENDING TO LIMIT ANY OF THE PROVISIONS OR PROTECTIONS SET FORTH HEREIN, DUPLICATION, COPYING OR ANY FORM OF REPRODUCTION OF THE COOKIE OR RELATED INGREDIENTS, MATERIALS OR OTHER CONTENT TO ANY OTHER LOCATION FOR THE PURPOSES OF DUPLICATION, COPYING OR ANY OTHER FORM OF REPRODUCTION IS EXPRESSLY AND EXPLICITLY PROHIBITED. This license does not give you any title or ownership in the Cookie, and should not be construed as a right to eat the Cookie. All rights not specifically granted under this Agreement are hereby reserved by the licensors.

• Like 2

Cookie EULA

1. LIMITED USE LICENSE
Subject to your compliance with the terms and conditions of the Agreement, you are hereby granted a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited right and license to use one (1) copy of the Cookie solely and exclusively for your personal and non-commercial use. This Agreement shall also apply to any chips, nuts or sprinkles you may obtain for the Cookie. IN ACCORDANCE WITH AND NOT INTENDING TO LIMIT ANY OF THE PROVISIONS OR PROTECTIONS SET FORTH HEREIN, DUPLICATION, COPYING OR ANY FORM OF REPRODUCTION OF THE COOKIE OR RELATED INGREDIENTS, MATERIALS OR OTHER CONTENT TO ANY OTHER LOCATION FOR THE PURPOSES OF DUPLICATION, COPYING OR ANY OTHER FORM OF REPRODUCTION IS EXPRESSLY AND EXPLICITLY PROHIBITED. This license does not give you any title or ownership in the Cookie, and should not be construed as a right to eat the Cookie. All rights not specifically granted under this Agreement are hereby reserved by the licensors.

I BOUGHT THIS COOKIE IN 1987 AND I SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO EAT IT AS MANY TIMES AS I WANT, ANYTIME I WANT, EVEN IF I ALREADY ATE IT

• Like 1

I was a pirate long before their was the bay, and I’m still one from time to time. There will always be pirating. Ofcourse I’m not sure copyright should last indefinitely either as long as you have enough money to pay for it. I understand companies wanting to hold on to their property, but how long should that be possible? At some point it should enter the public domain. Some of us just like it to happen a little faster than others. The post above with Jack Sparrow running away is how I feel sometimes.

Edited by adamchevy

I was a pirate long before their was the bay, and I’m still one from time to time. There will always be pirating. Ofcourse I’m not sure copyright should last indefinitely either as long as you have enough money to pay for it. I understand companies wanting to hold on to their property, but how long should that be possible? At some point it should enter the public domain. Some of us just like it to happen a little faster than others. The post above with Jack Sparrow running away is how I feel sometimes.

Yeah - indefinite copyrights for all IP seems like a bad idea, obviously. But then so does having a hard date for all copyrights, regardless of their current usage or enforcement.

Letting copyrights naturally expire after a pre-determined time since they were previously renewed or enforced makes sense. But say in the case of Disney, where they are clearly still using Mickey Mouse to this day, and very much have a vested interest in protecting their IP since it is still very much their corporate image - I don't see how a set date/time period is helpful.

In some cases, you're looking at taking away an artist's ability to profit from their own art, before they even reach middle age. That's not public domain, that's robbery.

• Like 1

probably more like theft, since we're all being sticklers for accurate language

people often say their hose has been "robbed" when they've actually been burgled

/annoying pedant

Theft is when something is stolen from you without your knowledge. Robbery is when someone forcefully takes something from you.

In the case of the people in previous posts in this thread demanding/suggesting that copyrights should automatically go into public domain at say 20 years, for someone who created a work in their 20s, which is still commercially viable, and they are still selling/performing it - that's robbery.

Are we talking like, you learned how to use the internet early on, or are we talking like... you used to BBS, download 3l1T3 w4r3z, and were part of the cracking team INC (International Network of Crackers), as in... your BBS was part of their distribution network, and you'd occasionally get games to crack, and hoped it'd be a Sierra game because CPC.com was so easy to crack, and then you'd make a cool "FILEID.DIZ" and include it in the zip file, along with a flashy .ANS file saying... "Cracked by Stoney from Stoney's Whore House BBS, member of International Network of Crackers, Props by Toilet Duck, Thedwick, and Beandip," … and then thought you were so awesome, but apparently too embarrassed about it that you never told a soul in high school that you even knew how to use computers because what you did at home was so horrifically nerdy that you didn't want to be branded? And then you joined the track team JUST because you wanted to ask out a girl... but then later totally lost interest and spent your weekends going to the 930 club in DC and knocking over Port-O-Potties, until the police put out a BOLO for the "Port-O-Pottie Bandits," but then... they never caught you or friends, and then you confessed at church, and then grew up and got a job and started to buy your games?

I BOUGHT THIS COOKIE IN 1987 AND I SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO EAT IT AS MANY TIMES AS I WANT, ANYTIME I WANT, EVEN IF I ALREADY ATE IT

So... you can do that, but I warn you, you won't like how it tastes the second time around.

Edited by 82-T/A

4j0IbOW.jpg

Hahaahah! Oooh man.... soooo wrong.

Not gunna lie... that one was hard. He was like... he played the perfect moral and ethical dad. The one who was in a happy marriage, the spark was still alive despite all the kids, the kids respected him, and he'd never steal software like a pirate. And then... wham... the truth comes out after all these years.

• Like 2