IGNORED

Penult RPG (Atari 2600)

Karl G

To be clear, that trait of ice devils was a bug, but it should have happened with another creature. ? Whether or not a character built with maximum strength and minimum intelligence can handle them. The dragon is magical, so both of its attacks overcome it, as does your spell. It's a lot easier if you have more spellpoints.  As you discovered, having the glow spell use up all of your limited spellpoints with that build can be frustrating as well.  All good information for me!

I believe Tanya did get poisoned via a trap - did the poisoned status not stay?  I'll have to review the stream footage again before releasing the new demo.

• Like 1

Okay, after reviewing the stream, it looks like everything is working as I would expect. She gets poisoned by a trap on a chest at 1:34:51, and occasionally gets poisoned messages with one hit point of damage until she drinks from the fountain at 1:41:45 and gets cured.  However, she is out of food at that point, and starts taking damage from that instead.

Also, an optional spoiler about the fountains:

You may have noticed that the fountain types don't match what you see in the map for the original dungeon from Ultima 3. These you will have to discover on your own, and they will differ from game to game, but they will be consistent in any given game. E.g. the first fountain on the first level will always be a cure poison fountain for your character, but for a new character it might be one of the other types instead.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm back to working on dungeons, now beginning to create my own dungeon from scratch instead of the one adapted from Ultima 3 included with the public demo, and adding a few dungeon features not found in that game.

I'm wondering if anyone other than @ZeroPage Homebrew has made it to the sample dungeon in the demo yet? If so, I'm looking for feedback to guide my creation of the new dungeons. Specifically:

• Right now, objects that are more than one square away appear indistinct and flickery. Does this effect work well, or should I just have objects that would be in sight at that range appear normal?  I can provide a demo ROM that gets rid of that effect for comparison if it would be helpful.
  • How is the difficulty of the dungeon in the demo compared to what you think it should be?
  • Any other feedback or suggestions?
  • Like 1

I could try to help, I love your project and think it's amazing but I stink when it comes to role playing games. Even the Ultima games I tried on my C64 gave me trouble, seems arcade style gaming and platform etc are more my thing. Stink because there's a lot of engagement and fun to be had by great games with a story.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Prizrak said:

I could try to help, I love your project and think it's amazing but I stink when it comes to role playing games. Even the Ultima games I tried on my C64 gave me trouble, seems arcade style gaming and platform etc are more my thing. Stink because there's a lot of engagement and fun to be had by great games with a story.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I appreciate that, but only play if you feel like it. In reality, it's going to be a long time before the game is close to complete enough for the need for testing to be at all urgent. I'm just looking forward to feedback since my head is in dungeon design at the moment. :)

Demo 12 has been added to the first post. I've tweaked the dungeon vision code slightly to allow one more square of clear vision in straight lines. I think this is helpful without making the dungeon too easy as a result.

There are a lot of other changes "under the hood" that may not be noticeable. As a consequence of reworking some code related to spells, if you are working from a saved game from the previous demo, you will have to reacquire one or both of the new spells that can be learned in the demo in the same way you gained them previously. The good news is that due to my code changes, you can learn the spells in any order now.

I've kept the previous demo 11 available in case anyone wants to compare the dungeon vision between the versions, or in case there's a bug in the new demo that I missed.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I've been taking a break from this, but it probably won't be a long one. I'm discovering that creating an RPG-style game is a lot different in that it's harder to get instant feedback as you expand or tweak the game. I have not shared most of the game in my demos in order to keep it a surprise upon release. What I have shared takes a bit of time commitment to test.

That being said, I am well over half done with this project, and I'm enough of a fan of the Atari and Ultima-style RPGs that I would likely finish this game even if I'm the only one who would ever play it.  ?  I appreciate all of the encouragement and feedback I have gotten along the way.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Karl G said:

That being said, I am well over half done with this project, and I'm enough of a fan of the Atari and Ultima-style RPGs that I would likely finish this game even if I'm the only one who would ever play it.  ?  I appreciate all of the encouragement and feedback I have gotten along the way.

You most certainly would not be the only one to pay it!!

..Al

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Penult is an astounding achievement, it's great to hear you're over halfway through the development! I'm very certain that you'll be far from the only one who will be playing it. An RPG on the 2600 with this much depth and complexity to it is incredible!

Looking forward to playing it on the show again soon!

- James

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I wasn't saying that I think nobody will play it - I was just trying to say not to worry that me taking a break means I will be abandoning the project. I have plenty of motivation of my own to see it completed myself. 

• Like 2

I have tested your demos but refraining myself from going into them too deep. Im waiting for the finished product so i can really sit myself down and play it through (no rush or anything). Im like that with RPG's as i don't want the full experience of discovery spoiled when i play through. Really excited about this game ?

TBH it's great you still have motivation to see it through, personally i struggle with my games as we're in reality, a small community so it can be hard to judge interest or desire. I find most interest and feedback comes when the game is fresh off the hotplate, then it becomes hard to judge if anyone is still interested in the fine tuning stages.

Looking forward to playing this game through, and hopefully there will be a digital release. Im hoping the Downloads module will be up and running when it's completed. Al has said he is working on it and people can buy digital copies rather then cart releases if they choose. This really works for myself as i haven't original hardware anymore and use emulation for my needs. So we miss out on many great games that are cart only releases :(

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Taking a small break from this project was a good thing, since I was able to make some good progress when I came back to it. There were some engine limitations I've overcome by doing some reworking and moving around of code. Nearly all of the NPCs are done now, and it looks like there will be a little over 100 unique, named NPCs. I've finished up towns and cities, and started working on endgame code. I'm at the point where I can't really show any screenshots of progress without also showing spoilers in the process though, unfortunately!

Thanks to everyone who posted encouraging messages.

• Like 10

We'll be checking out an Exclusive WIP Update of Penult on tomorrow's (Tue Aug 4) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

And for those of you who want to watch the 4 hour level grind prep for the show above...

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

We'll be checking out an Exclusive WIP Update of Penult on tomorrow's (Tue Aug 4) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

1821466023_20200804-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.bef8fdd323baf798e6504b011008f7e3.jpg

loving everything I’ve seen on Penult! Got a little friendly jealousy here. It’s really looking awesome!

And is that S.A.M. As in the one I remember for C64 on the Atari?!? ?

14 minutes ago, mickmuze said:

loving everything I’ve seen on Penult! Got a little friendly jealousy here. It’s really looking awesome!

No jealousy needed, hahah. Both of your games are OUTSTANDING and have very different gameplay to them.

S.A.M. 2600 sounds almost exactly like the C64 one, it's incredibly cool!

- James

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mickmuze said:

Thanks! Yours is pretty awesome, too.  I definitely wasn't able to finish mine if 30 days! :-D 

• Like 1

Thank you @ZeroPage Homebrew for giving Penult another playthrough, and to everyone who gave feedback. It seems like everyone who has played it agrees that the death penalty is too harsh, so I will do some thinking on that. I've also written down the other suggestions I got, and I'll see what I can incorporate. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Thank you @ZeroPage Homebrew for giving Penult another playthrough, and to everyone who gave feedback. It seems like everyone who has played it agrees that the death penalty is too harsh, so I will do some thinking on that. I've also written down the other suggestions I got, and I'll see what I can incorporate. 

You're welcome! It's a lot of fun to develop strategies for all the different battle situations that exist in the game. Looking forward to playing it again soon!

- James