IGNORED

Popeye hack.... whaaat again ?

TIX

It seems I'm late to the hack party and most of my favorite games have already been hacked/enhanced spritewise  :(

But it's all for fun and since I have time on my hands (until my next project starts), I'm thinking of redrawing Popeye's sprites !

Of course I know about Darryl's/Playsoft's excellent effort, but there are some things I would do differently..   We'll see

• Like 7

I will base my edit on the already hacked version of playsoft, that have various bug fixes in place.

OK lets start with the dreaded (double wide) punching frame,

Pretty pleased with it, it has the dynamic I was missing from the previous hack, of course you have to squint for maximum viewing pleasure :P

original                        Darryl's                          mine                           nes

old0.JPG.58a82d32fc63130c4b63546ddaaa136f.JPG  old.JPG.1bb1f6095b166bccb70ccf1b521bc674.JPG  new4.JPG.68bd4fc09bc8296782e4cc3061e103ad.JPG  nes.JPG.3c6fe0738d1605aaedd53993717d2728.JPG

punch14.gif.1449b0bc98861c5fb9da09ea9d62c97a.gif

• Like 7

thanks guys :D !

977624327_popeyewalk18.gif.8372a74373d2854d991a02c9c1864afa.gif   495224450_popeyewalk(nes).gif.653b1fa022f3b59a7f0066e8e42cf422.gif

take 18: small tweaks, Popeye's walk is aaalmost done ! I think I nailed the "hop" :P

I'll leave him alone for a while and tackle my main target.. Bluto/Brutus !

Edited by TIX
  • Like 4

I was comparing against the arcarde and cartoon, the NES gets it kind of wrong.

You can snag shots off youtube and mame to get closer to the source of Popeye and Brutus. Remember the cartoon had some changes over time as well. oh my is he happy to see Olive or Pop eye?

Edited by _The Doctor__

Brurus tweaked further,

I'm pleased with the whole look and movement...  but I hate the drab game palette  :(

I wish we had something more vibrant.

edit: trying to bring him to life with black !! and it's working :D

1955048933_brutuswalk16.gif.ac95f97f024dfc7a169c8368afcfe562.gif   762602385_brutuswalk17.gif.021e5aef2f5839ce808eb30fbcda3ab6.gif   567188597_brutuswalk1(nes).gif.d108ed6e22ddcf2988e57c42eb082bd2.gif

Edited by TIX
  • Like 3

Hmm, I liked the Brutus without the black lines better. The black lines just don't seem to fit in for some reason.  Brutus is shaping up nicely!

Also, your first Brutus from yesterday was much more vibrant on the colors.  Why are the colors more subdued on this new version?

Edited by TheNameOfTheGame
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Hmm, I liked the Brutus without the black lines better. The black lines just don't seem to fit in for some reason.  Brutus is shaping up nicely!

Also, your first Brutus from yesterday was much more vibrant on the colors.  Why are the colors more subdued on this new version?

I see black as a fourth color, and it helps in the general definition when all the other colors are so drab..

The vibrant palette was Nintendo's :(

2 minutes ago, TIX said:

I see black as a fourth color, and it helps in the general definition when all the other colors are so drab..

The vibrant palette was Nintendo's :(

Ah, yes, Nintendo's colors were much more vibrant.  I see your point on the black color.  Of course it's not a criticism, just a personal preference about the black lines.  Both of them look good!

Pretty much done with the main guys walk,

1967477595_walkcompare.gif.14240b7af83312473b3647b40bd133aa.gif

my objectives for those two, was:

animate them closer to Nintendo's version -> done

shrink their big heads -> done

Brutus was the same height as Popeye -> fixed that also.. I hope I can fit them in..

OK moving forward 

Edited by TIX
  • Like 4

I don't know, I mean it's Popeye the Sailor man, his hat is kind of supposed sell the fact he's a sailor.

1933 Popeye was in the US Coast Guard.

1941 Popeye joined the  US Navy...

The video game was based on 1941 and later Popeye...

https://navycrow.com/product/sea-bag/us-navy-challenge-coins/popeye-double-headed-us-navy-challenge-coin/

image.thumb.jpeg.1e61820686540f18ba09aeed4eecf639.jpeg

What country has Popeye moved to and what Navy has he joined? Is it super Mario Popeye?!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

the fleshy thing is supposed to be his belt buckle by the way... I figured you were just making a funny. But that's what it is.

Hey Butthead. What are you looking at. Stop looking at my fleshy thing below my belt buckle. Shame on you!

:)

• Haha 1