IGNORED

Doom : Slayer Edition

Sporadic

Questions about the renderer: Are there plans to reintroduce transparent middle textures (i.e. the transparent grating in e1m1 or the opening in the Icon of Sin's head)? Also, have there been any issues with the 128 wall limit (especially for Doom 2), or has that limit been removed?

The most recently posted video looks good, would there be a option to reduce or turn off the Bounce?

I get that it is probably meant to help convey player character movement but to me it seems an unnaturally large movement as I am sure that when walking/running I don't tend to notice everything around me bouncing up and down by a couple of feet.   

8 hours ago, Stephen Moss said:

The most recently posted video looks good, would there be a option to reduce or turn off the Bounce?

I get that it is probably meant to help convey player character movement but to me it seems an unnaturally large movement as I am sure that when walking/running I don't tend to notice everything around me bouncing up and down by a couple of feet.   

Yes in the options you can "disable swagger". In other ports it's known as movebob or movement bobbing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stephen Moss said:

I remember noticing that head bob effect for the first time back in the day, and thinking how immersive it was.  Alien vs. Predator does a similar effect with your gun swaying side to side as you move.  Totally fine if you don't care for it, of course - I just thought it was interesting that it had the opposite effect on me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PFG 9000 said:

I remember noticing that head bob effect for the first time back in the day, and thinking how immersive it was.  Alien vs. Predator does a similar effect with your gun swaying side to side as you move.  Totally fine if you don't care for it, of course - I just thought it was interesting that it had the opposite effect on me.

Like certain things, it is very noticable when absent. Without it, the game movement feels flat. In real life, there is some slight bounce too. Of course, you are so used to it that you wont notice it consciously. But people also not notice optical effects of perspective, and have issues determining the correct angles when drawing perspective on paper.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, agradeneu said:

The whole game runs half res since 1994 ;-)

The screen resolution yes, but not the monster sprites. In the original Jag Doom as well as Doom 1 Slayer all the monster sprites are full res, but something has definitely been done to the sprites in Doom 2.

• Like 1

We have to half width some of them currently due to the size constraints, as you say 300k is a large chunk of 6meg for just one set of character animation. 

The way in which they are stored gives a form of compression (rle) that is tied closely to the render engine. Changes to that could allow different compressions to be applied, allowing smaller storage requirements. That has to be balanced against processing overheads though that could impact the frame rate. It'll be a fine tightrope.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

Uh oh, project cancelled :P

I didn't say it was a big deal lol, just something I noticed.

8 hours ago, Welshworrier said:

We have to half width some of them currently due to the size constraints, as you say 300k is a large chunk of 6meg for just one set of character animation. 

The way in which they are stored gives a form of compression (rle) that is tied closely to the render engine. Changes to that could allow different compressions to be applied, allowing smaller storage requirements. That has to be balanced against processing overheads though that could impact the frame rate. It'll be a fine tightrope.

8 hours ago, Sporadic said:

Or to put it another way, that was an easier crowbar we could use to get it to fit immediately to allow development to continue. It's not necessarily the final solution. We have other ideas to address the storage constraints. 

Thank you both for the explanation 👍

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

Imagine what we could do with a 70Mhz ARM in the cart...

Ha, PiStorm for the Jag!  At that point we could finally get Jack's Atari's last computer, since that could give us USB for peripherals... all so we can run Doom better than any other console!

2 hours ago, cubanismo said:

I'm willing to wait 5 years if, upon completion, it verifiably uses all 64 of the bits.

Ha, at this point, I hope all the coders on it have passed on their knowledge to their kids, so that one day they can do the actual release.  😜

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/25/2023 at 2:56 AM, Welshworrier said:

So I am really curious how much code is custom for this mod?  As in, is this just a ROM hack or actually full recompiling the DOOM source code?

Main reason I ask is to see if you guys have the ability to add GDFS support to increase asset size ( once @SainT and @CyranoJ get things sorted ) and consider a digital-only build of this game to alleviate the ROM size limitations?

19 minutes ago, OVERRiDE said:

So I am really curious how much code is custom for this mod?  As in, is this just a ROM hack or actually full recompiling the DOOM source code?

Main reason I ask is to see if you guys have the ability to add GDFS support to increase asset size ( once @SainT and @CyranoJ get things sorted ) and consider a digital-only build of this game to alleviate the ROM size limitations?

Full source rebuild. Required to add new monsters and fix the sound, etc.

and... maybeeeee

• Like 6