IGNORED

Doom : Slayer Edition

Sporadic

9 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

There's a list to get on that, but you have to wait.

Haha... 

I think the name is kind of funny, because half the songs are made by Slayer anyway in the original game (from Seasons in the Abyss). But I think there were some Pantera songs too.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 6:32 PM, 82-T/A said:

Haha... 

I think the name is kind of funny, because half the songs are made by Slayer anyway in the original game (from Seasons in the Abyss). But I think there were some Pantera songs too.

I mean, Bobby Prince took just enough effort to make them sound vague enough to avoid copyright violation accusations...

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, taufan99 said:

I mean, Bobby Prince took just enough effort to make them sound vague enough to avoid copyright violation accusations...

Making legally-distinct versions of popular songs is a true artform, and it's rampant in pro wrestling. Nobody does it better than Jimmy Hart, who wrote a few songs for the WWF but is best known for cranking out tunes for WCW in the 90s.

The funniest thing about it is, these songs are owned by the lead musician and/or the company that commissioned it. So when a wrestler leaves and joins a different company, the new company's music guy makes a legally-distinct cover of a legally-distinct cover!

Here's a YT playlist of 2 of the most egregious examples coming to mind, DDP & Shane Douglas. I'd imagine most will recognize the songs being ripped off immediately but if not, click the spoiler:

Spoiler

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana, and "Perfect Strangers" by Deep Purple.

When a riff is consists of just 4 power chords, they'll rearrange them in different orders until they run out of options haha. Sometimes they'd also license production music for certain wrestlers, generally for the undercard guys but sometimes the stars too- Chris Jericho's WCW theme comes to mind. 

My brother had a book on music law many years ago when I was a young teen insomniac with no internet in my room. I spent a lot of time reading it to better understand how the law attempts to interpret a subjective thing like "how similar is too similar?" in an objective way. But unfortunately it's one of those things were too much time has passed, I don't recall any of it... but I'm still amused by this topic!

• Like 7