IGNORED

Doom : Slayer Edition

Sporadic

7 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

No offence taken. These progress threads tend to turn into request threads. 

Comments and suggestions are fun but outright 'nope do this' gets frustrating for the people giving their time for free. 

Social media's binary response type has us getting from 0 t 100 with our opinions real quick. As pointed by someone else i'm floored to see that the game can offer that much more so it wasn't a hardware limitation... I'm late 500s on Sain't list so the wait is gonna be long to try your Doom remaster.

Edited by DoTheMath
  • Like 1

Hello all. I have been really busy lately with my own stuff, but I thought I would share something here that may or may not be able to be used in this massive DOOM hack. I never beat Doom (on any of the consoles) so I don't know how many music tracks are in the entire game (I only know the main theme from level 1). I also don't know what all you guys are planning to add as far as new content goes. I do know that the original music was supposedly already in the game, it just needed to be programmed and worked around the architecture to play.

If you guys are wanting to add MORE music such as tracks from Doom 2, Doom 64 or even Doom 3, I know a trick that might come in handy. In one of my recent projects I needed to save as much space as possible however I still wanted the game to have a full soundtrack that sounded pleasing. I came up with the idea of using Audacity to speed up high quality tracks into unrecognizable sounds. This made the RAW audio data practically nothing in terms of size. I then played them back in game in what would be a super slow playback rate. The result was high quality sounding music that retained (almost) all of the original detail and I went from only having room for 2 songs to actually having room for 7.

It's a pretty neat trick, (especially since it works lol) and since the original Doom on Jaguar had NO music, why not make THIS slayer edition Doom have EXTRA music?

Just a thought.

Also since now we are adding sprites, I wonder if in the future it would be possible to do a full blown WAD hack like some of the ones we have seen over the years? (Brutal Doom, Chex Quest, Batman ect...)

21 minutes ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Hello all. I have been really busy lately with my own stuff, but I thought I would share something here that may or may not be able to be used in this massive DOOM hack. I never beat Doom (on any of the consoles) so I don't know how many music tracks are in the entire game (I only know the main theme from level 1). I also don't know what all you guys are planning to add as far as new content goes. I do know that the original music was supposedly already in the game, it just needed to be programmed and worked around the architecture to play.

If you guys are wanting to add MORE music such as tracks from Doom 2, Doom 64 or even Doom 3, I know a trick that might come in handy. In one of my recent projects I needed to save as much space as possible however I still wanted the game to have a full soundtrack that sounded pleasing. I came up with the idea of using Audacity to speed up high quality tracks into unrecognizable sounds. This made the RAW audio data practically nothing in terms of size. I then played them back in game in what would be a super slow playback rate. The result was high quality sounding music that retained (almost) all of the original detail and I went from only having room for 2 songs to actually having room for 7.

It's a pretty neat trick, (especially since it works lol) and since the original Doom on Jaguar had NO music, why not make THIS slayer edition Doom have EXTRA music?

Just a thought.

Also since now we are adding sprites, I wonder if in the future it would be possible to do a full blown WAD hack like some of the ones we have seen over the years? (Brutal Doom, Chex Quest, Batman ect...)

Everything you just said is wrong. Go back to colouring in.

• Haha 3

This is getting better and better. Incredible if you think about the fact how great Jaguar Doom was already at release.

All these years we thought this might be restricted by memory space or the console to find out now that it probably was "just" about time and money.

Looking very much forward to check out all your improvements.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CyranoJ said:

This thread needed a CyberBump...

image.thumb.png.2b3797418f975094a7fb939867805cfb.png

He's a bit grumpy, though.

My fav Demon :) - Were you able to add our buddy along with the Spider?  I know there was talk about limited space for assets so just curious if this gets released if people could build levels with both :)

47 minutes ago, Goochman said:

My fav Demon :) - Were you able to add our buddy along with the Spider?  I know there was talk about limited space for assets so just curious if this gets released if people could build levels with both :)

Maybe this screenshot will answer your question :)

IMG_20190918_154614.jpg

• Like 7

Not sure how far the scope of this project will reach (it's already really awesome), but one thing I think would be awesome is if the PS1/Saturn-exclusive levels were ported over. Thus far they were only released on the PS1/Saturn and then they were ripped so that they could be played on PC source ports.

Since the PS1/Saturn versions are born from the Jag version in the first place it would be fitting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, famicommander said:

Not sure how far the scope of this project will reach (it's already really awesome), but one thing I think would be awesome is if the PS1/Saturn-exclusive levels were ported over. Thus far they were only released on the PS1/Saturn and then they were ripped so that they could be played on PC source ports.

Since the PS1/Saturn versions are born from the Jag version in the first place it would be fitting.

This would be amazeballs!

Got to say this all looks amazing, Doom was my sole reason for keeping the Jag plugged in for many many years after its demise - well Tempest 2000 as well - and this all looks like a great step forward. I really can't express my gratitude enough for the work you are doing in adding this update to the Jag roster of games.