IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

1 hour ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Just curious as I obtained a pair of 8" floppy drives recently: what are you using for controllers and power supply?

Wow. That must have set you back.

Each of my drives is in a cabinet with its own power supply and they have a little patch cable inside that brings the 50 pin card edge connections out to a 50 pin dual-in-line connector on the back of the case.  The company that made them was called Thinkertoys and they were originally from my even older IMSAI 8080 S-100 machine.  I no longer have that machine.

They used to be attached to the Atari through the ATR8000 BUT after turning my basement upside down and inside out I cannot find the cable that I had back then.  Gonna have to make up a new one.  Been working on that and mapping the connections.  Now I need to find somewhere to get a 50 pin flat cable with some dual-in-line connectors, like the 34 pin version for 3.5 Inch drives, and a few more bits to make the actual adapter from 34 pins on the ATR8000 to the 50 pin on the drives.  Haven't been in too much of a hurry about it, though after getting the FujiNet.  That's been very distracting.  🙂

( not finding the cable was making me wonder if my memory was wrong about using them on the ATR8000 but the drives are labelled as #3 and #4 for the Atari and C and D for the CP/M system that you can run with the ATR8000 and I do have 8" floppy disks that are labelled as having Atari files on them SOOO I'm going to have to work them back into the chain and see what's on them floppy disks.   And now I see notes about running CP/M on or through the FujiNet.  That's going to take some looking into as well.  It's an amazing device, it seems.  ) 

37 minutes ago, kenp said:

Wow. That must have set you back.

Knowing what they usually go for, I was extremely fortunate to be in the right place at the right time when they popped up.  No idea if they're working or not yet, but I'm hopeful.

37 minutes ago, kenp said:

Now I need to find somewhere to get a 50 pin flat cable with some dual-in-line connectors, like the 34 pin version for 3.5 Inch drives, and a few more bits to make the actual adapter from 34 pins on the ATR8000 to the 50 pin on the drives.

Yep, the 50-pin card edge connector has been a pain to find at anything approaching a reasonable price.  Found the edge connectors not even 10 minutes after I'd typed that.  They're on Amazon; a 5-pack is $15.  I have looked for cables with the type of connectors you're describing, but with no luck.  Either way, with the quantity of connectors available in that pack, adding them to a 50-pin ribbon cable is a realistic proposition.

FWIW (and I'll cease the thread hijack after this :D), I'm looking at picking up a FDADAP floppy disk adapter and FDDC DC-DC converter for 8" floppy drives from dbit.com to get them up and running.  They're late enough manufacture that I'm willing to take the plunge since there's a good chance of being able to resurrect them, but man are those DC-DC converter boards not cheap.

18 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Knowing what they usually go for, I was extremely fortunate to be in the right place at the right time when they popped up.  No idea if they're working or not yet, but I'm hopeful.

Yep, the 50-pin card edge connector has been a pain to find at anything approaching a reasonable price.  Found the edge connectors not even 10 minutes after I'd typed that.  They're on Amazon; a 5-pack is $15.  I have looked for cables with the type of connectors you're describing, but with no luck.  Either way, with the quantity of connectors available in that pack, adding them to a 50-pin ribbon cable is a realistic proposition.

FWIW (and I'll cease the thread hijack after this :D), I'm looking at picking up a FDADAP floppy disk adapter and FDDC DC-DC converter for 8" floppy drives from dbit.com to get them up and running.  They're late enough manufacture that I'm willing to take the plunge since there's a good chance of being able to resurrect them, but man are those DC-DC converter boards not cheap.

Good luck with those drives and the converters.  I'll be crossing my fingers with my drives as well when the time comes. 

• Like 1