2 hours ago, Omegamatrix said:

There are certainly game variations that don't appear in the matrix at the back of the game manual such as the difficulty switches, and there is usually a Color/BW variation as well. I'm not sure if anyone noticed but the Combat, Indy 500, Warlords, Hangman, and Championship Soccer menus have a built in a BW menu screen. 

Since a lot (all) of those read the B/W and Difficulty Switches during the main game loop, what happens if someone sets the values in the menu but changes them mid-game? Does it act as a toggle, or does it instantly read the current position and overwrite the menu setting.

3 minutes ago, CapitanClassic said:

Since a lot (all) of those read the B/W and Difficulty Switches during the main game loop, what happens if someone sets the values in the menu but changes them mid-game? Does it act as a toggle, or does it instantly read the current position and overwrite the menu setting.

It would simply change a variable during a screen cycle.

39 minutes ago, CapitanClassic said:

The B/W switch would work likely it normally does for that game.

For Asteroids, Combat, and Indy 500 I put options given by the difficulty switches on the menu screen. For those games the position of the difficulty switches no longer has any effect. 

20 hours ago, Omegamatrix said:

Maze Craze is a game I've thought about but never started. Maybe one day. I have started another menu game already (no hints), but I've currently paused that as something far more interesting has come up.

Exciting! Well after those games, I have tiny bug report for you: I love the beautiful Hangman menu, but the game crashes for me after I enter an incorrect letter on levels 9 or 12. 

Wait, just tried it again and sometimes it crashes (freezes) after missing a letter on lower levels too, but less often. And I can get it to go back to the lovely menu with the select button but when I start another game it's frozen again. Or, that is, I have no player control. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, quohog said:

Exciting! Well after those games, I have tiny bug report for you: I love the beautiful Hangman menu, but the game crashes for me after I enter an incorrect letter on levels 9 or 12. 

Wait, just tried it again and sometimes it crashes (freezes) after missing a letter on lower levels too, but less often. And I can get it to go back to the lovely menu with the select button but when I start another game it's frozen again. Or, that is, I have no player control. 

Thanks for reporting the bug! I will take a look and hammer it like it was a mole...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We'll be checking out all of Omegamatrix's Menu Updates on tomorrow's (Tue Aug 25) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

• Asteroids (2020 Menu Update) by Jeff Johnson (@Omegamatrix)
  • Championship Soccer (2020 Menu Update) by Jeff Johnson (@Omegamatrix)
  • Combat (2020 Menu Update) by Jeff Johnson (@Omegamatrix)
  • Hangman (2020 Menu Update) by Jeff Johnson (@Omegamatrix)
  • Indy 500 (2020 Menu Update) by Jeff Johnson (@Omegamatrix)
  • Space Invaders (2020 Menu Update) by Jeff Johnson (@Omegamatrix)
  • Super Breakout (2020 Menu Update) by Jeff Johnson (@Omegamatrix)
  • Video Olympics (2020 Menu Update) by Jeff Johnson (@Omegamatrix)
  • Warlords (2020 Menu Update) by Jeff Johnson (@Omegamatrix)

234292498_20200825-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.6c1b6d307e38a31931b438ca4873bd2e.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, Omegamatrix said:

Ohhhhhh, that should be a good one. I will be tuning in to the stream!

Also, 9 is such an odd number. 10 would look much better... and even it out for sure.

You're absolutely right... hmm.. LET'S ADD A 10th GAME!

EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE

SECRET NEW MENU UPDATE FROM OMEGAMATRIX!!

618012560_20200825-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.786f622745f671fbeb2990bf4c529b76.jpg

• Like 6

Love the mini "themed splash" each game has. How each splash screen says something about the game. Doesn't have to be much either, a flag, a style, an object from the game..

Wonder if it would be possible to spiff up Space Invaders with an alien invader that moves back and forth, one on each side of "SPACE INVADERS". And similar with Video Olympics. Perhaps a single ball bouncing around the screen.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Love the mini "themed splash" each game has. How each splash screen says something about the game. Doesn't have to be much either, a flag, a style, an object from the game..

Wonder if it would be possible to spiff up Space Invaders with an alien invader that moves back and forth, one on each side of "SPACE INVADERS". And similar with Video Olympics. Perhaps a single ball bouncing around the screen.

Hmmm, Space Invaders. What can I say about Space Invaders?

They exist. They fly by in their UFO's watching you. You just can't see them. They are coming now...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

As revealed on tonight's ZeroPage Homebrew livestream, the new game menu is for.....

OUTLAW!!

Incredible work as always @Omegamatrix! Thank so much for having us reveal your new menu, it was a ton of fun playing through all those classic 2600 games tonight!

image.thumb.png.321505de7ffbed20643269211d40730b.png

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 12

On 8/25/2020 at 11:17 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

As revealed on tonight's ZeroPage Homebrew livestream, the new game menu is for.....

OUTLAW!!

Incredible work as always @Omegamatrix! Thank so much for having us reveal your new menu, it was a ton of fun playing through all those classic 2600 games tonight!

Another amazing addition. ROM please.?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Omegamatrix said:

It's not ready yet, Steve. I really put the pedal to the metal to get it done something done in time for the stream, but there is still more work to do.

Overall it shouldn't look much different though. Release should be within a week or so.

Appreciate the update Jeff. Please keep first things first. Can’t wait to see the final ROM?

• Like 1

Ohh another one coming! [not a fart] If I haven't said so already I made a sub-folder in my VCS ROM collection for these. That's a high-honor because I only add category folders once in a great while. And it goes by vote here, too. Like a year or two ago was when I added the most recent one for VCS & Stella.

In the old days when I was beating cartridges and stuff I might have made a separate column or sub-section on the wall of carts.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

I watched the Zeropage Homebrew and Warlords was BRILLIANT...

The simple fact that the guys on the wall change with the number of players is WONDERFUL!!!

Great job!

Also, I know I own the original Video Olympics, but there are game variations I saw that I KNOW I have never played. I never bought this as a kid, but likely picked it up at a garage sale later in life and chucked it into my collection, only testing it a couple of times. 

The menus actually make me WANT to try the different games, which I might not have known even existed if I didn't own a manual.

Edited by keithbk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

After trying out the menus on real hardware I found issues with both Asteroids and Championship Soccer, that did not show up in Stella.

Both have now been fixed, and updated roms have been swapped into their posts. The issues were with how VSYNC was being done in the original game. Depending on your TV you may or may not seen an issue. On my TV Championship Soccer would do a long continuous slow roll on the game screen, and Asteroids would bounce up and down a scanline.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1