IGNORED

E.X.O. [Done]

6 hours ago, Albert said:

E.X.O. will make its debut at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo in two weeks.  Here's a render of the box front and back:

7800_EXO_Render_Boxes.jpg
If you're not able to attend the show, E.X.O. will be available in the AtariAge Store in early November!

..Al

Nice! It will also be nice if I don't need to wait over a year to buy it....

Edit: I don't have any Pokeys or Pokeyones, just one for my concerto (Which I'm not giving that up!)

Edited by Ecernosoft
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

I don't have any Pokeys or Pokeyones, just one for my concerto (Which I'm not giving that up!)

The cartridge version will come with a HOKEY chip on board which is a modern POKEY replacement so it's just a case of plug it into your console and play.

You will not need to acquire a POKEY from elsewhere.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Albert said:

E.X.O. will make its debut at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo in two weeks.  Here's a render of the box front and back:

7800_EXO_Render_Boxes.jpg
If you're not able to attend the show, E.X.O. will be available in the AtariAge Store in early November!

..Al

@Albert Thank you for your efforts on E.X.O., and all of the other homebrews that you have helped to "make real" with physical releases (again!). I get a glimpse of what goes on behind the scenes and I can say it's a monumental effort. Thanks!.

@Atariboy2600 Thank you for yet another absolutely smashing set of illustrations for the box and label!

• Like 5

So many incredible games are coming soon. I wish I could go to PRGE just to pick them all up but I'll have to wait for November. I hope I can get them all but EXO is one that I'm going to pick up no matter what. I've been dying to try it but haven't had luck running it on my concerto. I just need to hold on a little longer....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

@Albert Thank you for your efforts on E.X.O., and all of the other homebrews that you have helped to "make real" with physical releases (again!). I get a glimpse of what goes on behind the scenes and I can say it's a monumental effort. Thanks!.

@Atariboy2600 Thank you for yet another absolutely smashing set of illustrations for the box and label!

Glad to help^_^

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 7:29 AM, Muddyfunster said:

The cartridge version will come with a HOKEY chip on board which is a modern POKEY replacement so it's just a case of plug it into your console and play.

You will not need to acquire a POKEY from elsewhere.

Nice.

Edit: Hey @Muddyfunster, does EXO take advantage of the HOKEY?

On 9/30/2022 at 8:17 AM, Muddyfunster said:

That legit looks like a box if that new space game with the "This game... you aren't ready for it" ads on YT if it ever had one, since modern PC games don't have boxes. What a good box!

Edited by Ecernosoft
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Ecernosoft said:

Edit: Hey @Muddyfunster, does EXO take advantage of the HOKEY?

Yes, the physical carts will ship with a HOKEY inside (as far as I know!).

That legit looks like a box if that new space game with the "This game... you aren't ready for it" ads on YT if it ever had one, since modern PC games don't have boxes. What a good box!

:D it's a super box, I'm really happy with how it came out.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

Yes, the physical carts will ship with a HOKEY inside (as far as I know!).

:D it's a super box, I'm really happy with how it came out.

-1. I realised something about your failed 320D exp.. Were you changing palletes too every frame? (Alternating the colors) You could do something similar in 320A and get the benefits of 320C...

Edit: Basically, you could alternate between 2 charsets and 2 colors every frame, or/and every scanline (Doing both gives you 4 colors with trans. instead of 2 with trans.) and get the benefits of using the best 320 mode (320C in my humble opinion, as it allows for 4 colors plus transparency) for sprites AND 9 colors instead of 7. I can PM you with an example if you want.

0. I can't wait to see how this ends!

1. Nice! 

2. You can't be more correct than that.

Edited by Ecernosoft

1. I realised something about your failed 320D exp.. Were you changing palletes too every frame? (Alternating the colors) You could do something similar in 320A and get the benefits of 320C...

Edit: Basically, you could alternate between 2 charsets and 2 colors every frame, or/and every scanline (Doing both gives you 4 colors with trans. instead of 2 with trans.) and get the benefits of using the best 320 mode (320C in my humble opinion, as it allows for 4 colors plus transparency) for sprites AND 9 colors instead of 7. I can PM you with an example if you want.

I don't recall a 320D experient that I did. 😕

40 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

I don't recall a 320D experient that I did. 😕

You don't? Whatever. (I'll tell you, you did! Look in your history on your profile!)

Just made a new post about my theory.

@Muddyfunster, hope you will check it out as it could be useful for your future games which would've used 160A! Using this method, 28 colors are possible in 320A.

Edited by Ecernosoft

3 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Hopefully HOKEY can handle all the fancy tricks in the music.

That's true. HOKEY is a very powerful device (At least what I know of it) if you can get the advanced HOKEY, basically letting you play CD quality audio from it.)

And with 320BI, it could be the ultimate graphics/Sound mashup!

I heard the YM2151 being used in 1942, and it sounded great!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2022 at 7:58 AM, Synthpopalooza said:

Hopefully HOKEY can handle all the fancy tricks in the music.

Not presently as far as I know, which is why E.X.O. wasn't available to buy at PRGE2022.

I think work on HOKEY compatibility with POKEY is ongoing.

It was great to see folks giving E.X.O. a play at the event :) 

A big thankyou to @Albert for featuring E.X.O. and to @-^CrossBow^- for bringing his DF.

image.thumb.jpeg.4f4f510ab27343dd0c0f64889a34118c.jpeg

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

Not presently as far as I know, which is why E.X.O. wasn't available to buy at PRGE2022.

I think work on HOKEY compatibility with POKEY is ongoing.

It was great to see folks giving EXO a play at the event and giving it a whirl :)

Hoping from the recent announcement, that the issue currently is logistical and not compatibility related.

If @batari has an opportunity, perhaps he can shed more light on HOKEY matching POKEY playback for E.X.O.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 6:23 PM, Muddyfunster said:

image.png.d758c7e3e4c24b14fd76dfc98d0c219a.png

Not a shock or surprise, but just reporting my testing on a Cuttle Cart 2.  Didn't work with any of the banking files I had for 512k.

Since those  banking files were released WELL before any this was conceived, not really surprised.  ;-)

I tried these:
7512     512K SuperCart
7512L    512K SuperCart, Bank 6 at $4000-$7FFF
7512LP   512K SuperCart, Bank 6 at $4000-$7FFF, POKEY at $0450
7512P4   512K SuperCart, POKEY at $4000-$7FFF
7512P    512K SuperCart, POKEY at $0450

Oh, I just remembered I also had this banking file to try, 78POK512, and that didn't work either.

Edited by desiv
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/25/2023 at 5:31 PM, Albert said:

Not yet, but we're working to make it available in the store later in the spring with several other new games.

..Al

Looking forward to when this happens. Just got my package of the nine PRGe releases. Promotional material showed 10 games (with EXO also listed) plus a similar number coming soon. So I am hoping some will be out before Portland, so I can spread my purchases over time. 

• Like 2