IGNORED

E.X.O. [Done]

36 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

And...yeah his 7800 has one of the 'wonderful' Rockwell Mexico made 6502s in it. Also has a Rockwell TIA also which, I'm not sure I've seen before or noticed until now?

Yeah; I thought about the fact that you mentioned me having a Rockwell CPU before, and wondered if that made a difference.

For what it's worth, I've been playing the game nearly daily since this happened, making sure to respawn at least once (in case that was a factor), and I haven't had it happen again. Hopefully if it does I'll better remember where I was and what I was doing when it happened.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/7/2023 at 5:43 PM, Albert said:

E.X.O. is (finally!) seeings its debut at this year's Portland Retro Gaming Expo!  Here's a preview of the box:

7800_EXO_Render_Boxes.jpg

If you're not able to attend the show, E.X.O. will be available in the AtariAge Store in November.

..Al

Will this ship internationally and/or be available from Amazon UK like the new Berzerk?

3 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

You're UK based yeah? Will it be available anywhere in the UK? (I'm just thinking about trying to avoid shipping / import costs!)

The game looks amazing. I'm a big Cybernoid fan, so this looks right up my alley

I am based in the UK :)

As Al, mentioned, the game will be available directly on cartridge from the Atari Age store (I think the new releases hit in November).

The ROM is available direct from me if you have a compatible multicart (Dragonfly, 7800 Game Drive, Mister) or wish to play under emulation.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

I am based in the UK :)

As Al, mentioned, the game will be available directly on cartridge from the Atari Age store (I think the new releases hit in November).

The ROM is available direct from me if you have a compatible multicart (Dragonfly, 7800 Game Drive, Mister) or wish to play under emulation.

Thanks for the reply

I'm keen to get a physical cart so I'll order from AtariAge. As long as it's compatible with the 2600+

1 hour ago, Dr Karnov said:

Thanks for the reply

I'm keen to get a physical cart so I'll order from AtariAge. As long as it's compatible with the 2600+

I have no idea if it will work with the 2600+ as I don't have one to test on.

My understanding is that 2600+ uses an old version of ProSystem emulator to do it's "7800 part" and I know that E.X.O. has issues with older versions of ProSystem.

ProSystem is also a really old and buggy emulator and I do not support it. If something works on it, great, but the target platform as far as emulation goes is A7800.

E.X.O. also supports AtariVox for saving progress and speech on the boss fights, I have no idea if 2600+ supports AtariVox (or any other save device like savekey etc) so you would be losing those features too.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

I have no idea if it will work with the 2600+ as I don't have one to test on.

My understanding is that 2600+ uses an old version of ProSystem emulator to do it's "7800 part" and I know that E.X.O. has issues with older versions of ProSystem.

ProSystem is also a really old and buggy emulator and I do not support it. If something works on it, great, but the target platform as far as emulation goes is A7800.

E.X.O. also supports AtariVox for saving progress and speech on the boss fights, I have no idea if 2600+ supports AtariVox (or any other save device like savekey etc) so you would be losing those features too.

Right, gotcha.

If the cart turns out to not work with the 2600+ then I'll buy the ROM from you.

Thanks for the heads up!

24 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

Thanks for the reply

I can tell you right now based on information currently available that the chances of E.X.O. working on the 2600+ right out of the box are next to none. Due to the limitations of the Rock chip, Atari had to go with Prosystem emulation. Almost all of the original native carts will work fine, but modern Homebrews on the scale of E.X.O. likely will not. I believe it might on the VCS-800 if ever released, but that's not your question. Since I'm fortunate enough to have a 7800 console, I am looking forward to purchasing it on the AA store and if it is ever offered on the VCS-800, I will likely purchase it again.

https://forums.atari.io/topic/8451-atari-introduces-new-cartridge-based-atari-2600/?do=findComment&comment=93169

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

If they're selling it on AtariAge, and AtariAge is now owned by Atari, hopefully they will do firmware updates on the 2600+ to ensure that carts sold on AA will run.

Unfortunately it's not a firmware issue. It's a chip issue. The native chip can't handle A7800 emulation. Atari actually tried it and the chip couldn't handle it. My guess is they settled on the hardware before evaluating their actual emulation needs or they simply weren't looking much beyond their own carts. Regardless, any homebrew devs for the 2600+ will have to stay within its limitations.

Edited by Aragorn7

1 minute ago, Aragorn7 said:

Unfortunately it's not a firmware issue. It's a chip issue. The native chip can't handle A7800 emulation. Atari actually tried it and the chip couldn't handle it. My guess is they settled on the hardware before evaluating their actual emulation needs or they simply weren't looking much beyond their own carts. Regardless, any new homebrew devs for the 2600+ will have to stay within its limitations.

I find this difficult to get my head around 

If AtariAge = Atari, they will basically be saying "here is a device that will run all 7800 games. Apart from the ones we sell"

It's going to confuse people. Including me

29 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

I find this difficult to get my head around 

If AtariAge = Atari, they will basically be saying "here is a device that will run all 7800 games. Apart from the ones we sell"

It's going to confuse people. Including me

I can certainly understand the confusion. There is a difference, however, between marketing hype and reality. You have but to research this online. You can also take a look at the compatibility list under Hardware for the 2600+ at Atari.com. Note the number of games "untested". Please also look through the thread I previously posted for you.

If you've been a cart collector, the 2600+ will be a great option to connect to a modern TV. But we'll just have to accept its limitations. It will also not work with multi-carts for playing roms, should you have wondered.

2 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

If the 2600+ will be implementing things like save states, then the hardware must be capable of some functionality over and above a 'real' 7800.

I hope attempts are made to get carts like E.X.O working.

The 2600+ merely dumps the rom for the emulation software to read in comparison to the console actually communicating with the cart. Software emulation allows for save states and that is one of its benefits. The real 7800, however, can play huge games because the cart supplies the appropriate memory. If a Dev has done all of his beta testing, the finished product works great without any latency issues that might show themselves in emulation software. The original hardware can also use Multi-carts. There just two different animals.

I'm sure if it is at all possible Atari and Muddyvision  will try to make E.X.O work, but as Muddyfunster has just told you the 2600+ uses Prosystem emulation. E.X.O was designed to work with a7800 emulation and is far superior for modern homebrews. That's why he said E.X.O. will not be supported to run using Prosystem emulation, which is older and problematic.

I'm really not trying to be a killjoy. I would love for nothing other than for the 2600+ to do all that you want it to. Perhaps miraculously it will, but I'm just trying to educate you to the limitations inherent in the 2600+ design; so you will not set your expectations too high. That can only lead to severe disappointment. I'm actually considering getting the 2600+ myself for the HDMI connection, but after much research I know what it can and can't do. It should have no problems playing my old carts. 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aragorn7 said:

Il 2600+ scarica semplicemente la rom da leggere per il software di emulazione rispetto alla console che effettivamente comunica con il carrello. L'emulazione del software consente il salvataggio degli stati e questo è uno dei suoi vantaggi. Il vero 7800, tuttavia, può giocare a giochi enormi perché il carrello fornisce la memoria adeguata. Se uno sviluppatore ha eseguito tutti i beta test, il prodotto finito funziona perfettamente senza problemi di latenza che potrebbero manifestarsi nel software di emulazione. L'hardware originale può utilizzare anche carrelli multipli. Ci sono solo due animali diversi.

Sono sicuro che, se possibile, Atari e Muddyvision proveranno a far funzionare EXO, ma come Muddyfunster ti ha appena detto, il 2600+ utilizza l'emulazione Prosystem. EXO è stato progettato per funzionare con l'emulazione a7800 ed è di gran lunga superiore per i moderni homebrew. Ecco perché ha detto che EXO non sarà supportato per l'esecuzione utilizzando l'emulazione Prosystem, che è più vecchia e problematica.

Non sto davvero cercando di essere un guastafeste. Mi piacerebbe solo che il 2600+ facesse tutto ciò che desideri. Forse lo farà miracolosamente, ma sto solo cercando di educarti alle limitazioni inerenti al design 2600+; quindi non fisserai le tue aspettative troppo alte. Ciò può solo portare a una grave delusione. In realtà sto pensando di procurarmi io stesso il 2600+ per la connessione HDMI, ma dopo molte ricerche so cosa può e cosa non può fare. Non dovrebbe avere problemi a giocare con i miei vecchi carrelli. 🙂

Best we can hope for is Atari integrating the updates readily available via JS7800 posted sources, which several from the community have assisted with updating.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Defender_2600 said:

Best we can hope for is Atari integrating the updates readily available via JS7800 posted sources, which several from the community have assisted with updating.

Yes. I agree.  It is the best we can hope for, but it could have been so much better with a better chip and the use of an a7800 emulator. I'm sure, however, that Atari and the community will do their very best. I'm looking forward to any progress made.

• Like 1