IGNORED

Beat THRUST contest! (FINISHED!)

Thomas Jentzsch

yeah, I had a feeling the scores worked like that for the game numbers. I am just trying to get as much paractice as possible. I don't blow up any of the planets, that alone makes it a lot harder. Once I get good enough I will go thru it on game 3 and put everyone to shame  8)

I am waiting. :)

But you should practive destroying the power plants with an attached pod too. It's quite tricky to shot at a special direction then.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got to the 5th level on game 4. It is IMPOSSIBLE. I really don't like

cheating, and I haven't yet. I want to try to beat it the hard way.

Has anyone made it past this level? I can get to the ball, but I lose all my

lives or run out of fuel before I can get past that skinny door in the end. With zero gravity, it is nearly impossible.

post-3803-1068685647_thumb.jpg

I think you're doing the harder set of planets. Check the manual.

I've given up. Reverse gravity and invisible landscape isn't fun. If we re-ran the high-score competition I could probably double, maybe even triple my second-place score, but trying to do a near pefect game up the hard end of the spetrum is not something I have time to work on.

I recently found an Xevious clone for my N-Gage.

http://personal.inet.fi/private/riihimaki/s60/

When I get time (HA!) I'll probably give it a bit of a workout. At least I can pop that out at lunch or whenever I have to wait around for something. Perhaps if I managed to get a VCSp I'd have another go at Thrust+.

I just looked at the manual and game 3 goes thru planets 1-6 and game 4 is 3-8. But then under that it says 'the difficulty increases to the next level' So I assumed that game 4 would be shorter than 3, but it is looking like it is just harder.

Looks like game 3 is the easiest shortest one... Oh, well, the practice can't hurt.

I just got to the 5th level on game 4. It is IMPOSSIBLE. I really don't like cheating, and I haven't yet. I want to try to beat it the hard way.

Has anyone made it past this level? I can get to the ball, but I lose all my lives or run out of fuel before I can get past that skinny door in the end. With zero gravity, it is nearly impossible.

I know that door is nasty, it is meant to be! :evil:

I assume your problem is to hit the switch without loosing control too long to go through the gate, right? (though the last picture looks very promising). I think I don't have any tips you do not know already. The situation just requires perfect manoeuvering.

When testing the levels myself, I may have made it once out of 20 there. And I have trained for almost 20 years now. :)

Looks like game 3 is the easiest shortest one...

Yup! You avoid the two extra nasty planets then.

BTW: Zero gravity? :?

I've given up.  Reverse gravity and invisible landscape isn't fun.

Combined or each alone?

Please don't blame me, I just converted them from the C64 original game. :)

In my best games I reached the end of "deadly something", but died soon when both obstacles where combined.

If we re-ran the high-score competition I could probably double, maybe even triple my second-place score, but trying to do a near pefect game up the hard end of the spetrum is not something I have time to work on.

Maybe someone like Todd Rogers or David Yancey would like too? ;)

Anyway, I would like to see your highscores.

Combined or each alone?

Oh, combined. Each alone is challenging. Together they're a kill-screen.

Somebody told me he just turned the monitor upside down for reverse gravity. That's cheating of course, but I won't mind there. :)

That was me. But only with my 14" monitor. My T.V is to damn big to flip ;)

I have yet to perfect my maneruvering skills. If you look at the last two pictures, I have 6 hundred or so fuel, and then I loose all my lives and all fuel, and the last picture (when I got it lined up and stopped swinging) I only had 1 fuel left with no lives.

Now when I play game 3, it seems a little easier, up until reverse gravity with zero gravity. is deffinitely no fun. I can't even imagine no landscape and reverse gravity together! I guess I just need to practice, practice, and then practice some more.

Somebody told me he just turned the monitor upside down for reverse gravity. That's cheating of course, but I won't mind there. :)

Doesn't help at the point where you pickup the ball -- that's where reverse gravity is the killer, particularly when you can't see the terrain while you're trying to stop the ball swinging wildly.

Doesn't help at the point where you pickup the ball -- that's where reverse gravity is the killer, particularly when you can't see the terrain while you're trying to stop the ball swinging wildly.

Yes, I remember that was always one of the harder things when testing the levels. You need plenty of fuel there to see what is going on.

The best tip is to start at #1 or Rookie mode so you can save some extra fuel when the game difficulty finally increases to #3.

Yes, the game is :evil:, :evil:, :evil: ! :D

I just downloaded the C64 emulator and the thrust game. It is hard to play with the keyboard, but I got a feel for the old C64 version. And I like the music too. Although the 2600 version sounds buchered after you hear the original. I am including a SID player and the music file if anyone wants it.

thrust_music_and_sid_player.zip

I think I got the high score. I played it on Game 1 and I rolled the score over one time (almost twice) From what I think thomas said about the score I think I got 187810, but I am not sure. I paused it on the game over screen so you can see what level I was on. I was well into the "Deadly Something" and Reverse Gravity TOGETHER! Very tough stuff. I know it would be harder on game 3, I just wanted to get the high score for right now.

post-3803-1068868395_thumb.jpg

I think I got the high score. I played it on Game 1 and I rolled the score over one time (almost twice) From what I think thomas said about the score I think I got 187810, but I am not sure. I paused it on the game over screen so you can see what level I was on. I was well into the Invisible Terrain and Reverse Gravity TOGETHER! Very tough stuff. I know it would be harder on game 3, I just wanted to get the high score for right now.

Hm, looks more like 188,800 points, though I am not sure, since either your TV's or your digitcam's are hard to recognize.

If you should master the game, you better make sure to get a better picture. :)

Yeah, I am sorry about the picture, I took two of them and that is the better of the two. I will do some experiments and see how to get a good one. I don't use a flash, and try to take it within the focus range of the camera, but the bright score on the black background is hard to get to focus.

So how many levels are there in level one? I know it is more than 3, but I always tend to run out of fuel, so I like to play the easier ones and build it up.

Thank you for updating the high score on the first page. (I thought you calculated the score differently when it went over a hundred thousand)

I don't even know if people are still trying to beat the game...... :roll:

Well, I made it half way thru the game! And IMO, I don't think the "deadly something" with regular gravity is very hard. But I don't know if that is the next one after reverse gravity on game 3. But I have a feeling I will be the first to beat it.

What do the last 12 levels look like on game 3? Is it just "deadly something" with reverse gravity?

@Thomas, I hope the picture quality below will be ok when I beat it, because that is about as good as I can do.

post-3803-1069192046_thumb.jpg

Well, I made it half way thru the game! And IMO, I don't think the invisible terrain with regular gravity is very hard.

Oh oh, your progress is too fast. I am afraid someone might actually win my almost impossible contest. :D

But I don't know if that is the next one after reverse gravity on game 3. But I have a feeling I will be the first to beat it.

:idea: Except for the rookie game #5 (no "deadly something") the reverse gravity ® and the "deadly something" (D) are always combined in that order -, R, D, R+D (6 missions each).

@Thomas, I hope the picture quality below will be ok when I beat it, because that is about as good as I can do.

It is still hard too recognizable but it is ok. You better try to take a few pictures from different angles and distances then, just to be 100% sure.

And don't forget the picture of you holding the Thrust cart. ;)

I am sorry if you wanted to keep the "deadly something" a secret..... I hope I didn't spoil it for anyone else. (although, I think someone else mentioned it too?)

Yes, I tried (and still try :)) to keep it a little bit a secret, but I am afraid by now too many people have talked about it. So maybe only newbies will have a chance to get surprised (shocked? :evil:) when they find out. :D

No big deal.