IGNORED

Any PS5 owners here yet?

Punisher5.0

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I finally got a PS5 today. I still can't believe they intentionally fucked up the confirm/cancel buttons, so now X is confirm and O is cancel, and I keep pressing the wrong buttons. This is super annoying, and I liked it more the way it's supposed to be, with O as confirm and X as cancel. but I'll probably get used to it eventually.

Of course, the first game I played on it was...

Kyuukyoku Tiger

Yep. Dude buys PS5, uses it to play 1987 arcade game.

That's surprising.  😀   What made you decide to get one?  You've been pretty clear that you have no love for these crappy ol' modern consoles.

The button change thing would drive me bonkers.  That a regional change, by chance?  I thought it's the same as it's always been.

48 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

That's surprising.  😀   What made you decide to get one?  You've been pretty clear that you have no love for these crappy ol' modern consoles.

Death Stranding 2 is PS5-only as of right now. I mistakenly thought the game released this year, but it doesn't. I honestly wouldn't have bought it if I had bothered to check the release date, but I figure I already have it, so I might as well use it.

I am already having flashbacks to when I bought my PS4. Got it on Japanese launch day just for MGS V. About 2~3 weeks later they announced the PC version, and since I was born and raised as PC Master Race, I kept the PS4 for exclusives that never ended up existing, and the PS4 remained a dust collector/Star Trek BD player until I got into arcade shooting last year. M2 ShotTriggers is a damn good reason to have a PS4 if you like arcade shooting because that's not on PC, and ACA has much better emulation than MAME and Switch has higher input lag almost universally and is missing half of the M2 ShotTriggers games, so PS4 is the best option right now.

I'm just hoping that Kojima doesn't announce a PC port in like 2 weeks like last time I bought a console for one of his games. Technically this thing does outclass my PC... barely. It basically has the raytracing version of my GPU, which I don't have. That's about it. It sure took consoles long enough to barely surpass tech that I had 8 years ago. Lol what a joke.

I must say that it is pretty cool to see the PS5 brute-force its way through some of my poorly optimized PS4 games that barely ran at ~25FPS and push them all the way up to an unwavering 60FPS, though. It might have been worth it just for that!

48 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

The button change thing would drive me bonkers.  That a regional change, by chance?  I thought it's the same as it's always been.

In non-Japanese countries, yes, but here everything from the PS1 to the PS4 followed the traditional Japanese O = good/confirm, X = bad/cancel. After 14 years of using Japanese PlayStations exclusively, I HATE this change and many Japanese people do as well.

The worst part is that for PS4 games some of them still force the old O = confirm X = cancel, but some don't and use the opposite because some PS4 games force it to the region-specific confirm button and some base it on the console's confirm button, so now like half of my games use O and half use X and it's really stupid.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

6 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

The worst part is that for PS4 games some of them still force the old O = confirm X = cancel, but some don't and use the opposite because some PS4 games force it to the region-specific confirm button and some base it on the console's confirm button, so now like half of my games use O and half use X and it's really stupid.

Eh, that annoys me and I'm not even personally impacted by it.  Just reading about it makes me WTF!?

7 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Eh, that annoys me and I'm not even personally impacted by it.  Just reading about it makes me WTF!?

Yeah it's really annoying. Vita and PSP both have some games that use the system's confirm button, as well, like Muramasa; playing my US copy on my Japanese Vita has the text prompts read X as confirm, but it's actually O. Then sometimes you'll get games that have X as confirm in the menu and then when you go to save your game suddenly O is the confirm button because it uses the system's confirm button because it considers the save thing to be part of the system menu, except in some games where it doesn't, so you have to learn each game separately.

I checked the majority of the games that I have installed on the PS5 and it looks like about 1/3~1/2 of them still use O to confirm and the rest are X. ACA seems to use X universally, half of the M2 ShotTriggers games use X but the other half use O, Mary Skelter 2 uses O but Mary Skelter Finale uses X... it's a mess. Oh well.

16 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

In non-Japanese countries, yes, but here everything from the PS1 to the PS4 followed the traditional Japanese O = good/confirm, X = bad/cancel. After 14 years of using Japanese PlayStations exclusively, I HATE this change and many Japanese people do as well.

I wrote an editorial about that a few years ago (https://mag.mo5.com/156946/edito-le-jour-ou-sony-aurait-pu-sabstenir/  I'm quite happy with the thumbnail 😉 ), but I got a lot of heat from idiots that didn't understand I was able to adapt when going from one convention (on a Nintendo console) to another (on an Xbox controller or a Western PlayStation), but I blamed some developers that didn't respect the convention on the system they developed for. For instance, on the Switch, there are a few games that use B for confirm and A for cancel, like Dark Souls Remastered, which is not exactly the kind of game you want to have trouble controlling... 😑

46 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I wrote an editorial about that a few years ago (https://mag.mo5.com/156946/edito-le-jour-ou-sony-aurait-pu-sabstenir/  I'm quite happy with the thumbnail 😉 ), but I got a lot of heat from idiots that didn't understand I was able to adapt when going from one convention (on a Nintendo console) to another (on an Xbox controller or a Western PlayStation), but I blamed some developers that didn't respect the convention on the system they developed for. For instance, on the Switch, there are a few games that use B for confirm and A for cancel, like Dark Souls Remastered, which is not exactly the kind of game you want to have trouble controlling... 😑

lol that thumbnail. If only I could do that... it would only solve about 40% of the weirdness I am experiencing, though. Well, I guess I technically can do exactly that by reassigning the buttons in the system settings, but then I'd have to do it on a per-game basis and it still might be awkward depending on what the game's controls are if I can't do in-game button remapping.

Yeah, I have I think 2 NA region Switch games that use B as confirm, too. It's really weird. I am not really sure why they are like that, but it's really strange to see that on the Switch. There are a few Dreamcast games like Sakura Taisen where you can choose your button mappings for almost every function in the game, including confirm and cancel, in the options menu, which is highly unusual for a console game. In that game I think you can even set them to L and R if you wanted to. I think even the original Saturn version does this, but Saturn and Japanese Mega Drive have their own weird thing going on where sometimes A is confirm and sometimes C is and sometimes both are.

Dark Souls Remastered is once again a big offender since:

1. other games developed by Virtuos don't do that
  2. other games published by Bandai Namco don't do that
  3. there's a setting in the options to specifically change the buttons to confirm and cancel... but it's greyed out for some reason (trolling maybe?). 🙂

3 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

there's a setting in the options to specifically change the buttons to confirm and cancel... but it's greyed out for some reason (trolling maybe?). 🙂

loooooooooooooool

I tried Astro's Playroom. This is a tech demo, but it's really nice and I like it. This is what I want to see from console games: something that takes advantage of the unique controller and unique hardware to get an experience that I can't get on PC. I like game hardware, which is why I have like 45 game consoles (yes, I counted last year. I have a lot of them), but I really do want to see them have exclusive games that can only be done on that specific hardware. Please make more games like this, game developers of Earth.

4 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Dark Souls Remastered is once again a big offender since:

1. other games developed by Virtuos don't do that
  2. other games published by Bandai Namco don't do that
  3. there's a setting in the options to specifically change the buttons to confirm and cancel... but it's greyed out for some reason (trolling maybe?). 🙂

I don't recall having issues with the buttons in Dark Souls Remastered,  is it a localized thing?

My "other" storage has gotten rather large for some reason. I've seen that it might have something to do with the number PS4 games installed, which in my case is a lot.

The disc drive in this thing is relatively loud when installing games; I thought something was wrong with it at first and I was like "WTF? I literally just took it out of the box a few minutes ago and it's already louder than my ancient PS4?". Not the loudest I've heard, though; both the drive in my PC and one of my Dreamcasts are significantly louder. My PC's is terrifyingly loud.

I finally got around to trying my ultimate benchmark test game on this thing: the original Blue Reflection. That game runs absolutely terribly on PS4 at really random times. Like there will be almost nothing on the screen and it will run at like 10~15FPS (yes, it really is that bad in some spots) and then with all sorts of stuff going on it runs okay, so it's really strange. The PS5 just doesn't give a fuck at all, though; 60FPS everywhere as far as I have seen. It's super cool but simultaneously super unnerving to see this game running so well, but it's too bad the game is garbage and more of an unfinished proof of concept than anything else. I still can't believe they dared to push this thing out the door in this state and still charge 8500 yen for it.

I find it very interesting to see what this thing can do with PS4 games with unlocked framerates; I actually rather enjoy seeing it do this, but I am almost out of PS4 games to test at this point, and some of the things that I would have liked to see run at higher framerates are unfortunately locked at 30.

The only thing that I have not done is to play BDs on it. Everyone generally says that the PS3 was better at that than the PS4, so I wonder how this thing will compare.

5 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

The disc drive in this thing is relatively loud when installing games; I thought something was wrong with it at first and I was like "WTF? I literally just took it out of the box a few minutes ago and it's already louder than my ancient PS4?".

In the PS5?   It's an SSD and shouldn't be loud at all.    The only think in there that makes noise should be the fan, and that was designed to be quieter than PS4 due to all the complaints.   So if your PS5 is that loud, there might be an issue with it.

1 minute ago, zzip said:

In the PS5?   It's an SSD and shouldn't be loud at all.    The only think in there that makes noise should be the fan, and that was designed to be quieter than PS4 due to all the complaints.   So if your PS5 is that loud, there might be an issue with it.

Disc drive