12 hours ago, alex_79 said:

It turned out quite an addicting game, even when played alone against the AI.

Thanks. Actually I am surprised too how well the rather simple AI works. And since I currently have to play (and test!) alone all the time, this would be totally boring without AI. 

Next planned change is high score distance recording (for human players only). So that you can challenge yourself.

Wow, this game is progressing fast!! I just tried it out, and the gameplay is really good (= IMO simple but addictive).

This is a really nice casual party/mini game.

When playing as single player, it would be nice if there were "stages". E.g. for each race/stage you would need to finish in the top-3 to go to the next stage, in which the A.I. cars are a bit harder to beat.

Anyway, it's a fun game with refreshing gameplay!

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

Wow, this game is progressing fast!! I just tried it out, and the gameplay is really good (= IMO simple but addictive).

This is a really nice casual party/mini game.

When playing as single player, it would be nice if there were "stages". E.g. for each race you would need to finish in the top-3 to go the the next stage, in which the A.I. cars are a bit harder harder to beat.

Anyway, it's a fun game with refreshing gameplay!

Thanks. 

Currently I am focusing on the party game mode, because I plan to submit the game to the Revision Demo Party Game competition

• Like 3

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing an EXCLUSIVE WIP UPDATE to VROOM! on today's (Tue Mar 9, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1

AI worked well during the show. :evil:

Those who watched the show will know this already, for the (few) others: I am planning to join the Game Competition at the Revision 2021 Demo Party (happening Eastern, live on Twitch). I don't expect any fame and glory, but since VROOM! is designed as a party game, I thought it would fit well into that demo party. Of course it would work much better, if this year's party wouldn't have to be completely virtual, but maybe people can imagine how it would be.

Following their rules, I must not release my work to public before. Therefore, until then there will be no more public releases (sorry). Instead I will continue development and testing with only very few people in private. Of course this will change back to normal immediately after the show.

Nevertheless any feed back from everyone else is of course still more than welcome.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 4

On 3/5/2021 at 12:06 AM, sramirez2008 said:

Would be cool if a photo finish (something akin to instant replay in Food Fight) could be incorporated..

You mean replay the last seconds before the finish line? That won't work due to RAM memory constraints, sorry.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

You mean replay the last seconds before the finish line? That won't work due to RAM memory constraints, sorry.

During the race the optical distances are quite small, maybe it is easier to make them bigger to the end of the race?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

During the race the optical distances are quite small, maybe it is easier to make them bigger to the end of the race?

They increase the longer the race lasts. So at the end of a 90 seconds race they are 3x timer larger than in a 30 seconds race. Should I make them equal for a three race lengths? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

They increase the longer the race lasts. So at the end of a 90 seconds race they are 3x timer larger than in a 30 seconds race.

Because of my short attention span I mostly play the 30 seconds race ?

27 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Should I make them equal for a three race lengths? 

?

@alex_79

I plan to allow putting the SaveKey into the right port. So that would be just 2 or 4(6) human players. But now (at least in emulation) the game's auto detection fails and the right port is still detected as QuadTari. 

Do you know what is wrong here? Is that a problem with Stella or with the auto detection code?

You need to additionally check pin 9 of the right port (INPT3).

A Savekey/Atarivox has no connection to the paddle lines (pins 5 and 9, that is INPT2 and INPT3 for the right port).
So, a few frames after clearing VBLANK D7 you have:

1 - both INPT2 and INPT3 negative (bit 7 set), if you have a set of paddles directly plugged in the right port.
2 - INPT2 positive and INPT3 negative, if you have a QuadTari.
3 - both INPT2 and INPT3 positive, if you have a Savekey/AtariVox directly plugged in the right port.

Not relevant for this game, but a standard joystick would fall in case (3). A genesis pad would be a case (1), I think.

Edited by alex_79
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2021 at 2:43 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing an EXCLUSIVE WIP UPDATE to VROOM! on today's (Tue Mar 9, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

1149709265_20210309-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.3cc073be43983574547c8121fa962d84.jpg

How long before these live shows get uploaded to ZPH?  There's no trace of it at the time of typing this.

1 minute ago, insertclevernamehere said:

How long before these live shows get uploaded to ZPH?  There's no trace of it at the time of typing this.

I'm able to post to YouTube it 24 hours after it airs on Twitch. You can watch it right now on Twitch but I generally find the quality better through YouTube.

It will be available on ZPH's YouTube channel at 6PM PT/9PM ET. ?

- James

18 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I'm able to post to YouTube it 24 hours after it airs on Twitch. You can watch it right now on Twitch but I generally find the quality better through YouTube.

It will be available on ZPH's YouTube channel at 6PM PT/9PM ET. ?

- James

Thanks.  I found it on Twitch after I posted.  I was just looking on YouTube before.  Good to know for the upcoming Circus Convoy reveal. Very excited for that.

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2021 at 6:31 PM, alex_79 said:

You need to additionally check pin 9 of the right port (INPT3).

A Savekey/Atarivox has no connection to the paddle lines (pins 5 and 9, that is INPT2 and INPT3 for the right port).
So, a few frames after clearing VBLANK D7 you have:

1 - both INPT2 and INPT3 negative (bit 7 set), if you have a set of paddles directly plugged in the right port.
2 - INPT2 positive and INPT3 negative, if you have a QuadTari.
3 - both INPT2 and INPT3 positive, if you have a Savekey/AtariVox directly plugged in the right port.

Not relevant for this game, but a standard joystick would fall in case (3). A genesis pad would be a case (1), I think.

How about INPT2 negative and INPT3 positive? Can that happen in theory or with a certain controller?

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

How about INPT2 negative and INPT3 positive? Can that happen in theory or with a certain controller?

It would happen with a Sears Video Arcade II or Coleco Gemini controller, as they only have one paddle pot on INPT0/INPT2. (But there wouldn't be much point in using them with this game, as the fire buttons are wired to pin 6 - INPT4/INPT5 ) and likely with the Hyperkin Ranger too.

And can also happen with a broken paddle set (broken pot or cable).

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Reminder: Revision 2021 will happen this weekend. And VROOM! will be participating in the Game competition. The schedule can be found here

To get an idea what is happening, have a look at the Meteoriks (Demoscene Oscar's) nominations for 2020. Most of these have YouTube links.

• Like 6

After the Revision compo has run, I am allowed to upload my latest version (see 1st post). 

And for completeness, I also added the archive I submitted to Revision here. Unfortunately the audio was off by about 5 seconds only for my entry. No idea why. Anyway, this was fun to watch live and get some reactions from the people watching too.

BTW: Twitch has permanently banned the Revision party stream without warning right in the middle of a compo yesterday. Fortunately the CCC came to help immediately and there was only a ~30 minutes break. The reason for the ban are utterly ridiculous. There was some minor nudity, which in my book is completely harmless. Anyway, I do not want to get into politics here (after all the demoscene is officially accepted as UNESCO cultural heritage in several countries, including Germany), but I am thinking about my private consequences regarding Twitch and global corporation censorship in general.

Vroom! (JTZ).zip

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

After the Revision compo has run, I am allowed to upload my latest version (see 1st post). 

And for completeness, I also added the archive I submitted to Revision here. Unfortunately the audio was off by about 5 seconds only for my entry. No idea why. Anyway, this was fun to watch live and get some reactions from the people watching too.

Good luck in the competition Thomas! That sucks about the audio sync. ? 

- James

• Thanks 1