IGNORED

8-Bit Software: A Preservation Effort

SoulBuster

Jupiter Mission: 1999 (1983)(Microcomputer Games)(US)[OS-B][BASIC][disk] - Set #2

Boot with BASIC.

Disk 1 and 2 shredded upon recording.  I did get a good recording on 1 before it went bad.  2 went bad right off. 3 is a good recording and 4 has a couple of errors, but it does not look like they are not in the data.  -p did not work on disk 4.

Jupiter Mission 1999 (1983)(Microcomputer Games)(US)[OS-B][BASIC][disk] - Set #2.zip

image.thumb.jpeg.28e6da5065590a95c51758ac567d20a3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8af5eaba1f8972e8acef17334e060537.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.245c101e96c5b3ed1e3dfe962f2279a0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1ee405429a12e379c3b089e4a0b0f8e8.jpeg

• Like 3

Maxi Golf (1984)(Adventure International)(US)[disk]

Boot without BASIC. Updated with a fix from @DjayBee

This disk has physical damage on the surface of both sides.  I took several recordings.  I hope these can help with another set.

Maxi Golf (1984)(Adventure International)(US)[disk].zip

image.thumb.jpeg.3713dda3b3a847742a88411e1332d1ba.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bcd0a4b3d6e6da09fd766d276fa1665d.jpeg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, SoulBuster said:

EduFun! Battling Bugs + Concentration (1982)(Miliken Publishing Company)(US)[BASIC][disk]

This disk has two errors on it.  One is not in the data but the other is. With -p 104 I can get rid of the one NOT in the data.  The programs seem to work, so I am guessing that the error in the data is copy protection?

Yep, this sector is protection.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SoulBuster said:

Rebel Charge at Chickamauga (1987)(SSI)(US)[BASIC][disk]

Sector 41 is bad and I could not get it to load.  I am not sure if that sector is copy protection or not.

Yep, this is protection but the sector is "only" stable bad-CRC instead of weak.
Can you give it another try with some more revolutions of the disk?

Edited by DjayBee

9 minutes ago, SoulBuster said:

Rescue (1983)(ALA Software)(US)[BASIC][disk]

I cannot figure out how to boot it. If someone does, please post back with instructions.

This unfortunately is a bad dump. Sector 18 on track 7 is needed but missing. Some others as well but these are not needed.

I compared it to Atarimania's dump and can use that dump's sector data to repair it.

Stay tuned.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SoulBuster said:

5 revs on this ATX

You should always do five revs.
It increases the chance for a good read of borderline sectors and usually also to detect weak sectors.

In this case it did not help.

I have no idea why a8rawconv does not detect it here because it sees "5 different sectors found at the same position" but then "Keeping the most popular one" which makes no sense at all when all reads were bad.

Fixed:

Rebel Charge at Chickamauga[f].atx

Plus a fixed image for Rescue (needs OS-B):

Rescue Try 1[f].atx

Rescue Try 1[f].atr

Does the Rescue disk boot on hardware?
If so then you have a problem in your dumping gear.

If not then this disk has mastering errors (tracks 7, 18 and 24 miss sector 18 but each has a duplicate of sector 16). Track 7 is needed. The other ones are in unused areas and also not fixed by me.

Edited by DjayBee
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DjayBee said:

You should always do five revs.
It increases the chance for a good read of borderline sectors and usually also to detect weak sectors.

In this case it did not help.

I have no idea why a8rawconv does not detect it here because it sees "5 different sectors found at the same position" but then "Keeping the most popular one" which makes no sense at all when all reads were bad.

Fixed:

Rebel Charge at Chickamauga[f].atx 97.87 kB · 2 downloads

Plus a fixed image for Rescue (needs OS-B):

Rescue Try 1[f].atx 97.86 kB · 1 download

Rescue Try 1[f].atr 90.02 kB · 1 download

Does the Rescue disk boot on hardware?
If so then you have a problem in your dumping gear.

If not then this disk has mastering errors (tracks 7, 18 and 24 miss sector 18 but each has a duplicate of sector 16). Track 7 is needed. The other ones are in unused areas and also not fixed by me.

a8raw.. is set to 5 revs as default. I do not know why that one did not get that treatment.

Rescue does not boot on real hardware.  Hardware is a 320XE with CSS's FIXXL (my OS-B) as one of the OS's and an XF551.

9 hours ago, SoulBuster said:

@A8SP, Is there a step-by-step that shows everything that is needed? I could not find one. 

Now that you have the COM port working you can use a8rawconv.exe, instead of the Supercard Pro software, for flux dumping. I believe a8rawconv is also supposed to be able to write to floppy from ATR/ATX in most cases.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SoulBuster said:

New recording of mule Mule.atx.  Is this better?

Hi,

Yeah. This seems to be correctly index aligned. Many thanks!

Rescue (1983)(ALA Software)(US)[BASIC][disk] ...

But seems like RESCUE was still dumped with the "Splice" (wrong) mode, instead of "Index" mode. Could you double check, please. Thanks.

Edited by ijor
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BillC said:

Now that you have the COM port working you can use a8rawconv.exe, instead of the Supercard Pro software, for flux dumping. I believe a8rawconv is also supposed to be able to write to floppy from ATR/ATX in most cases.

I strongly second that.

Everybody using an SCP says that dumping Atari images should be done using a8rawconv instead of the (at least for Atari disks) cappy original software of the SCP. It seems that even the guy who programs the original SCP software admits that his implementation is not good for Atari disks.

9 hours ago, ijor said:

Hi,

Yeah. This seems to be correctly index aligned. Many thanks!

But seems like RESCUE was still dumped with the "Splice" (wrong) mode, instead of "Index" mode. Could you double check, please. Thanks.

5 hours ago, DjayBee said:

I strongly second that.

Everybody using an SCP says that dumping Atari images should be done using a8rawconv instead of the (at least for Atari disks) cappy original software of the SCP. It seems that even the guy who programs the original SCP software admits that his implementation is not good for Atari disks.

I have started using a8rawconv for recording. I just did Rescue using it and it has the same problem as before.

I have run into a situation where the media on Invasion Orion has several index holes and using indexed mode fails. Any suggestions?  Do I have to use splice mode to get this one?

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, SoulBuster said:

Rebel Charge at Chickamauga ...

5 revs on this ATX

a8raw.. is set to 5 revs as default. I do not know why that one did not get that treatment.

The old dump was already with 5 revs.

I just did Rescue using it and it has the same problem as before.

Can you please redump RESCUE making sure you are using Index mode.

I have run into a situation where the media on Invasion Orion has several index holes and using indexed mode fails. Any suggestions?  Do I have to use splice mode to get this one?

Yes, a few old titles were recorded onto hard sectored media with multiple index holes. Unless the software has a special way to deal with it (don't remember if SCP does or not), then there is no choice but to ignore the index pulses. But please, make a note and put something like "SpliceMode" in the filename so that it would be obvious to everybody how the dump was produced.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SoulBuster said:

I have started using a8rawconv for recording. I just did Rescue using it and it has the same problem as before.

Can you please post the SCP file?

The old dump might suffer from two problems:

• These three sectors 18 are really gone bad and therefore missing.
    This makes the game fail.
  • Sectors 16 are at the end of a revolution and due to splice mode seen twice while decoding into the ATX.
    This has no influence on the game because both instances of each sector contain identical data.

The latter then should no longer be in the "indexed" dump.

2 hours ago, ijor said:

Can you please redump RESCUE making sure you are using Index mode.

this is the contents of my batch file.

a8rawconv scp1:96tpi:com3 %1.scp
a8rawconv %1.scp %1.atx
a8rawconv %1.scp %1.atr

Does a8rawconv default to indexed mode?  If so, then that is what was used

Rescue.scp

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, SoulBuster said:

Does a8rawconv default to indexed mode?  If so, then that is what was used ...

Many thanks. Now it is ok. Ok in the sense that it is in Index mode. The previous RESCUE dumps were performed in Splice mode for some reason.