2 hours ago, SoulBuster said:

this is the contents of my batch file.

a8rawconv scp1:96tpi:com3 %1.scp
a8rawconv %1.scp %1.atx
a8rawconv %1.scp %1.atr

Does a8rawconv default to indexed mode?  If so, then that is what was used

Rescue.scp 17.35 MB · 2 downloads

Thanks.

This dump also has these combinations of duplicate sectors 16 and missing sectors 18.

Unless somebody did an incredibly bad copy-job in overwriting the disk with its own data, this is proof that the disk has a mastering error and can never have worked.

The error is the same as with your dump of Back Talk v1.2.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

Thanks.

This dump also has these combinations of duplicate sectors 16 and missing sectors 18.

Unless somebody did an incredibly bad copy-job in overwriting the disk with its own data, this is proof that the disk has a mastering error and can never have worked.

The error is the same as with your dump of Back Talk v1.2.

Here is a Re-Record.  Copymate XE still shows 1 bad sector.

BackTalk 1.2.zip

3 hours ago, SoulBuster said:

Here is a Re-Record.  Copymate XE still shows 1 bad sector.

BackTalk 1.2.zip 4.79 MB · 2 downloads

Hi, many thanks!

But please forgive me if I ask you to dump this again, but something here is very strange. Could you dump this once again but adding one more track, including track 40? That could be very useful for a better analysis.

You might be able to do that with a8rawconv 0.94 using the -g parameter. Something like a8rawconv -g 41,1 ... . But I'm not sure, I never tried it with a8rawconv.

It might be safer to use SCP software directly in this case. Configure SCP software for End track: 40 (instead of 39). And of course make sure to use 5 revs and "Index" (not Splice) mode.

It would be great if you could also redump the back side of this disk. But if this is too complicated, never mind, only the front side might be enough.

Btw, I don't think that a8rawconv is much better than SCP software for dumping purposes. It is strongly recommended for writing back ATX or SCP images. SCP software will fail in many cases that a8rawconv would be able to write back just fine. But for dumping doesn't make much of a difference, except perhaps that a8rawconv uses most of the right parameters automatically. I say "most" because, again, ideally we want one extra track that a8rawconv doesn't include by default.

Edited by ijor
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, SoulBuster said:

I have run into a situation where the media on Invasion Orion has several index holes and using indexed mode fails. Any suggestions?  Do I have to use splice mode to get this one?

I've had a few of these. I just blocked off all but the index hole (general example below). There is no special option for this in the SCP software.

I've done it two ways. Second is generally better if your read drive has no top and you can see the disk insertion.

First, if out of the sleeve. I cut up small write protect stickers as they were thin. Never use them and had a bunch.

Second if still in sleeve, I used the middle of an old disk to cover. It's small enough that you can slip in through the centre sleeve hole, line up and when inserting, carefully clamp and it will hold in place.

Floppy Disk Drives / 8 Zoll / SS vs DS / retro computingimage.thumb.jpeg.50132a9d5fc36947f734ec5415248066.jpeg

Edited by Zarxx
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zarxx said:

I've had a few of these. I just blocked off all but the index hole (general example below). There is no special option for this in the SCP software.

I've done it two ways. Second is generally better if your read drive has no top and you can see the disk insertion.

First, if out of the sleeve. I cut up small write protect stickers as they were thin. Never use them and had a bunch.

Second if still in sleeve, I used the middle of an old disk to cover. It's small enough that you can slip in through the centre sleeve hole, line up and when inserting, carefully clamp and it will hold in place.

Floppy Disk Drives / 8 Zoll / SS vs DS / retro computingimage.thumb.jpeg.50132a9d5fc36947f734ec5415248066.jpeg

I like it.  Unfortunately, the disk in question is completely blank and I am returning it for a refund.  Good for future reference.

16 hours ago, ijor said:

Hi, many thanks!

But please forgive me if I ask you to dump this again, but something here is very strange. Could you dump this once again but adding one more track, including track 40? That could be very useful for a better analysis.

You might be able to do that with a8rawconv 0.94 using the -g parameter. Something like a8rawconv -g 41,1 ... . But I'm not sure, I never tried it with a8rawconv.

It might be safer to use SCP software directly in this case. Configure SCP software for End track: 40 (instead of 39). And of course make sure to use 5 revs and "Index" (not Splice) mode.

It would be great if you could also redump the back side of this disk. But if this is too complicated, never mind, only the front side might be enough.

Btw, I don't think that a8rawconv is much better than SCP software for dumping purposes. It is strongly recommended for writing back ATX or SCP images. SCP software will fail in many cases that a8rawconv would be able to write back just fine. But for dumping doesn't make much of a difference, except perhaps that a8rawconv uses most of the right parameters automatically. I say "most" because, again, ideally we want one extra track that a8rawconv doesn't include by default.

I added the parameter to my batch file.  It works great. Here are the contents of my batch file (sorry, I renamed "a8rawconv" to "convert". It is easier for me when not using the batch file):

convert scp1:96tpi:com3 -g 41,1 %1.scp
convert %1.scp %1.atx
convert %1.scp %1.atr

Here are the new recordings of side 1&2 using a8rawconv.

BackTalk 1.2 Sides 1&2.zip

Just an FYI, it is no problem to redo recordings.  We want them to be right, right?

• Like 3

British Heritage Jigsaw Puzzles Vol. 2 (1982)(Thorn EMI)[NTSC][cassette]

Autoload cassette without BASIC.

British Heritage Jigsaw Puzzles Vol. 2 (1982)(Thorn EMI)[NTSC][cassette].zip

British Heritage Jigsaw Puzzles Vol. 2 Manual.pdf

British Heritage Jigsaw Puzzles Vol. 2 Catalog.pdf

image.thumb.jpeg.fd44ad10e7dabed71aa7314bdbcd073b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.12ef0ef45bacdbdc69f3f0d34e083213.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.916c84fb4c7c88b3cdc98f69372250a5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5747eb763d61d8c9abd9c3b2426a207d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9175d022caae2c4c890ac039a78fa993.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.11eed75d8247195b4db6e9adb2881c87.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.328b3770d1b750b8bff57821f50f2f8b.jpeg

• Like 3

Crossfire (1982)(SierraVision)(US)[cartridge] - New Package

Box was mangled. I scanned only enough to show it is a SierraVision release.

The cart never had a sticker on it and there was not one loose in the box.

Crossfire (1982)(SierraVision)(US)[cartridge].zip

Crossfire Instructions.pdf

image.thumb.jpeg.0190f4c83388e27a8df3a8e102b64773.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.302e9a2fb47c47d456c534edf9771759.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.96a5f2a1a2071152510ef100fb3af535.jpeg

• Like 3