IGNORED

Are People Crazy on Ebay???

DavidMil

I agree, I'm in a similar situation, I keep saying that it's me that has to lift all these things if we move or have a flat inspection etc, but it's on deaf ears. On the other hand (and more on topic), my Atari gear and my consoles etc have the least footprint in the house of all three of us..

My "Man cave" is actually a Man Corner in the bedroom

Edited by Mclaneinc

Mine is also my WFH desk/office area - My work's Occ health would have a field day what with the lack of space owing to Atari 8-bit hardware, software, (amongst my PC kit), piling up around me heh heh!

I would post a picture but frankly... I'm too embarrassed!:lolblue: I'm just glad I don't use brick power supplies for my A8 hardware otherwise I'd have no floor space whatsoever!!;)

12 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

........... Well good news, I haggled with the seller and not only got free postage ...but he threw in this as well..

What does egg box labelling mean?

... Downside is he said I'd have to pay extra for the eggs ... so it's just the box..... :D;):lolblue:

(;))

Microsoft have done a poor job of presentation with their latest eggs box.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

eBay is OVER in 2022. They finally ruined it. Now, you get a 1099-K if you sell over $600 in a year (pretty much any casual user now).

eBay fees = 12.55%

1099-k = This means you pay self-employment tax (FICA, etc.) of 15.3%, PLUS your effective income tax rate.

For most middle class people, this will be at least 44% of your profit gone.

There is no reason to do it anymore. It's over.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, R.Cade said:

eBay is OVER in 2022. They finally ruined it. Now, you get a 1099-K if you sell over $600 in a year (pretty much any casual user now).

eBay fees = 12.55%

1099-k = This means you pay self-employment tax (FICA, etc.) of 15.3%, PLUS your effective income tax rate.

For most middle class people, this will be at least 44% of your profit gone.

There is no reason to do it anymore. It's over.

Yeah that will kill a lot of small time sellers that's for sure.  I wonder where people will move to though?  I know there are several Ebay alternatives out there, but I've never explored any of them. 

12 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Yeah that will kill a lot of small time sellers that's for sure.  I wonder where people will move to though?  I know there are several Ebay alternatives out there, but I've never explored any of them. 

The only way to escape the reporting now is cash or BTC (for now). All 3rd party payment systems are required to report it. Paypal, CashApp, Venmo... all of them.

I'm not saying don't pay your taxes, but this is just silly now and people don't realize yet what it means. It will make prices even higher. Consider that when you "pay eBay prices" and consider that someone running a local shop is already paying that, and now everyone does.

Edited by R.Cade

17 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

It's just typical of all governments, screw everyone for as much as they can in any way that they can

I'm fine with taxation.  I'm miffed that my tax doesn't go to what its taxed for.  If there is a gas tax and part is to fix roads, then fix the damn roads with my tax.

11 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

I've seen a bunch of ebay listings from Egypt.  I never realized Egypt had so many Atari 8 bit computers.

Atari and MSX were popular since they were "arabitized" by a middle east distributor. 

I bought two machine from egypt last year and both were exactly as advertized and working perfectly. I nearly bought a 65XE from Jordan also, but the guy tested it before packing it for shipping and warned me of a problem, he gave me a refund without any problem.

I may get an MSX 2 for the egyptian seller this year since I don't have one. Most can be switched between arabic/english during boot up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

eBay also own our canadian equivalent to Craiglist, so they're already covered when it comes to people selling locally. I also use Facebook marketplace a lot, mostly to find estate sales locally.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

I'm miffed that my tax doesn't go to what its taxed for.  If there is a gas tax and part is to fix roads, then fix the damn roads with my tax.

Not wishing to make it a political thing, but I have to say I totally agree to your sentiment.

As for the taxation, that is such a low threshold, about 3 to 4 machines, or if they are 1200's, a couple, in a YEAR...That is crazy.

I'm not a big seller, maybe sold about 8 things on Ebay, perhaps a couple more, but if I was going to get taxed as well then I'd stop selling on there..Mad world.

1 minute ago, Mclaneinc said:

Not wishing to make it a political thing, but I have to say I totally agree to your sentiment.

As for the taxation, that is such a low threshold, about 3 to 4 machines, or if they are 1200's, a couple, in a YEAR...That is crazy.

I'm not a big seller, maybe sold about 8 things on Ebay, perhaps a couple more, but if I was going to get taxed as well then I'd stop selling on there..Mad world.

eBay will be 100% chinese resellers soon. Another version of Alibaba.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tuxon86 said:

eBay will be 100% chinese resellers soon. Another version of Alibaba.

Bloody ebay, bad enough it's a scalpers paradise, hate that you can't trust where your goods are actually coming from. If I buy from AliExpress I know I'm going to have a wait and the goods may not exactly match the order, I take that into account if I order, but to have the same people hiding on Ebay etc, misleading the buyer is just annoying. And re the taxation, seeing what R,Cade wrote, if the US is stiffing you guys all around it won't take long before our respective governments follow suit.  As if we don't get stiffed enough already.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, R.Cade said:

BTW, this now ANY transaction on any 3rd party app like Paypal, CashApp, Venmo, etc.

All "side hustles" will now be fully reported to the IRS and you'll have to file self employment and income taxes on it.

If only the corporations and millionaires paid their fair share of taxes, maybe the average person trying to make ends meet wouldn't need to be squeezed so hard.  Disgusts me when I see over 1/3rd of my earnings gone, but read about businesses making millions in profit and paying zero in taxes.

• Like 3

ebay is doing the bidding of the administrators. They are hand in glove, one and the same these days... like mostly everything seems to be going. Welcome to 2022... so goes the fun. As to the fair share... look who goes in with little and comes out millionaires... these are the rule makers...

Edited by _The Doctor__