IGNORED

Are People Crazy on Ebay???

DavidMil

On 4/19/2024 at 10:38 AM, TGB1718 said:

This has to be a red flag warning one for an 800, load of photo's of screen shots, could be from any 800.

some photo's of an Incognito board, but not a single picture of the 800 itself.

In the description he says:-

**Some cracks in the casing have been fixed and it's structurally sound. These are around the back so not really noticeable at all. Usual light blemishes and scratches marks consistent with a 40 year old vintage computer. Price has been reduced from my usual asking price to reflect this**

I suspect the "some cracks" are more serious than he's saying, not worth the risk for £399.99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176340555289?

The last photo shows what appears to be grey filler/plastiweld, not sure what part of the 800 its from but looks significant.  Definetly not worth anything near the asking price.

The screenshots do all appear to be from the same monitor (the bezel looks the same) but yeah the high cost of a trashed 800 with an incognito in it to cover "the very high ebay fees I have to pay for a sale" which they mention three times is laughable. 

The fact they mention "Some cracks in the casing have been fixed and it's structurally sound." but show no pictures of them, I'd not go anywhere near this. 

20 quid shipping for an 800 is way too low for something so fragile, they probably got it cracked because the psu smashed into the 800 in transit and they are going to use the same level of care shipping it back out again. "No returns"... nope!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

I said this many pages back.  yes, people are crazy on eBay.

Case in point: https://www.ebay.com/itm/313835006515?

$1200 for a 65XE, $100 shipping. But I think it does come with a monitor, and 2 game cards.

But you failed to mention that the monitor appears to come with a remote.

I mean, be fair dude....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tillek said:

But you failed to mention that the monitor appears to come with a remote.

And a SCART port plus IEC-standard antenna connector, both of which would have commonly been used in and around its apparent location of Willow Springs, Illinois, United States.  Few people realise that Illinois is not just the birthplace of Abraham Lincoln, but also SCART, which was used extensively throughout North America in the 1980s and 1990s.*

That $1200 price is looking more and more like anyone who passes it up would be a fool for not seeing the inherent value and sure-to-appreciate nature of this gem.

I saw it on an episode of Sliders, so it must be true.

• Haha 5

18 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

And a SCART port plus IEC-standard antenna connector, both of which would have commonly been used in and around its apparent location of Willow Springs, Illinois, United States.  Few people realise that Illinois is not just the birthplace of Abraham Lincoln, but also SCART, which was used extensively throughout North America in the 1980s and 1990s.*

That $1200 price is looking more and more like anyone who passes it up would be a fool for not seeing the inherent value and sure-to-appreciate nature of this gem.

I saw it on an episode of Sliders, so it must be true.

Why yes, there is a whole population of French folk in Illinois that brought SCART to the states in the 70s.  🤥

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kheller2 said:

Why yes, there is a whole population of French folk in Illinois that brought SCART to the states in the 70s.  🤥

Wasn't that an offshoot of disgruntled settlers who had originally come in as part of the Great Minitel Migration?  IIRC, they were trying to establish Minitel service ahead of its 1980 launch so that the network in the New World would be under their control, but it all fell apart somewhere in Missouri when they got into a heavy battle with the Teletext Pioneers; the casualties decimated their numbers and those who survived ceded the territory they had gained, moving southwards in near-total defeat.  There are still some small pockets of Minitel adherents in scattered parts of Louisiana, from what I understand.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not quite Atari but eBay and crazy.....

It makes you wonder if some sellers are intentionally trying to make unaware buyers think that retro computers are worth more than they actually are. This seller keeps listing items like this everyday, the crazy thing is when you check out his sold items and ratings, it seems to show he does not sell much??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/4193/i.html?_ssn=dj-eski&store_name=djeskiselectronicemporium&_oac=1

This is someone who I would say causes the 'eBay effect'.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Overange said:

What makes this even more laughable than the prices is the postage of £12.50 for a cassette that's not even worth the postage cost 😮

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Overange said:

It makes you wonder if some sellers are intentionally trying to make unaware buyers think that retro computers are worth more than they actually are. This seller keeps listing items like this everyday, the crazy thing is when you check out his sold items and ratings, it seems to show he does not sell much??'

I think all it takes is an occasional sucker, and he makes a very tidy profit.  :(

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Overange said:

Not quite Atari but eBay and crazy.....

It makes you wonder if some sellers are intentionally trying to make unaware buyers think that retro computers are worth more than they actually are. This seller keeps listing items like this everyday, the crazy thing is when you check out his sold items and ratings, it seems to show he does not sell much??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/4193/i.html?_ssn=dj-eski&store_name=djeskiselectronicemporium&_oac=1

Ariolasoft??    I like soft ariolas....  Not for 1750 pounds though!!

• Haha 3

Maybe we're being too harsh....

Maybe that guy just wants to show off his collection and he totally sucks at making websites so instead he uses eBay as an image gallery?

OOOOOHHHHHH!  A Vic-20 brochure for only £500.00!!!!!!!

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, Tillek said:

Maybe we're being too harsh....

Maybe that guy just wants to show off his collection and he totally sucks at making websites so instead he uses eBay as an image gallery?

OOOOOHHHHHH!  A Vic-20 brochure for only £500.00!!!!!!!

There’s a theory that these guys promised their wives/gfs to downsize and sell off their collection but ask ridiculous prices so they don’t actually have to part with their treasures.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, slx said:

There’s a theory that these guys promised their wives/gfs to downsize and sell off their collection but ask ridiculous prices so they don’t actually have to part with their treasures.

Ok... so now the retro community has to come up with a secret "code" to put in the listings so as to tell us not to bid and not to trigger unwarranted flaming (because who needs that when dealing with securing all your finances in preparation for the impending divorce?)

"My Well Maintained Masterpieces Should Interest All Serious Retro Collectors, Not Foolish Simpletons!"

Which we will all understand to mean....

MY WIFE MADE ME SELL IT ALL SO REMAIN CALM NOT FOR SALE!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

For the 6520 collector!

Only $395 OBO!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193176587530?epid=7014798912

Wow, that's a lot of photo's of a grubby dirty chip (cheapest one on Ebay UK is £7.12) although £12 postage is a laugh.

I also found this, just as ridiculous as yours, think it's the same seller $1995 for 7

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195877137215?

5 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Wow, that's a lot of photo's of a grubby dirty chip (cheapest one on Ebay UK is £7.12) although £12 postage is a laugh.

I also found this, just as ridiculous as yours, think it's the same seller $1995 for 7

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195877137215?

Yeah, I checked his other stuff too.  The seller has got everything at crazy prices.

• 3 weeks later...

Well here is my crazy e-bay experience.  Decided I wanted an Atari 400 - again.  First time I bought one, it arrived with a cracked case.

I wasn't sure about trying again, I don't have space for it, and will never set it up. But on the other hand it was my first computer and I do kind of want one.

Anyway, pulled the trigger, bought an Atari 400.  Arrived damaged. 2 of 2!   The seller packed a lot of heavy equipment inside the box and it was just a bad packing job.  I hate it for them, but it is their fault, and it was very seriously cracked.  I send it back. But here is the thing, I have a b key keyboard, I want an Atari 400 to go with it.

So I ordered a 3rd Atari 400 - I told the seller the first one had arrived damaged.  I was ordering from him, because the last person packed it poorly and I had to order another one.

Dude does not use any packing material.  Doesn't wrap it, puts it loose inside the box.  When it arrived I could hear it sliding back and forth on the bottom of the box.

Arrives damaged, 3 of 3!  WHO DOESN'T KNOW TO USE PACKING MATERIAL???!!!???  OMG, had to go all caps on that one.    But, by some miracle this one didn't crack.  It just has a scar on the top.   This is a pity, but it was an excuse to paint it.

Painting it also solves yellowing quite nicely.   So - Atari 400.  Upgraded to mosaic 64k, upgrade to b-key.   Using CH 3 demodulator to Composite adapter and XEP80 for display.

Works great, now in the closet.  My main system is a 130xe, and that's not going to leave the desk...oh goodness....definintely doing some collecting these days.

Edited by Mark2008
  • Like 1