IGNORED

Atari 130XE keyboard rebuild: vintage keycaps on modern switches

1 hour ago, as... said:

Somewhere In the Poland:

I use in my almost std. 130xe this keyboard.
Keybord spring / rubber (new with full serwis) 
= its like a bird vs falcon vs this keybord

1.jpg

2.jpg

that looks like an almost drop in replacement, raises keys up slightly though yes?

Hey folks,

I have a small batch of 5 rev. 12 keyboards. If you'd like to get one of these (you can see one of them in the previous message next to the Sidecar prototype), please PM me, specifying:

Key caps / adapters:

( ) Modern graphite

( ) Modern white

( ) Modern cream

( ) Circle-type vintage adapters

( ) Square-type vintage adapters

The keyboards come with the new low-clearance Atari adapter and FFC cable. Vintage keyboards come with low-profile Kailh Choc v1 Robin switches, Modern ones with Kailh Box Pink switches. If you'd like another type of switch or any other change, let me know and I can make a special order.

The keyboards can come fully assembled or as a kit.

Lead time will be 2-3 weeks for ordering the caps and assembling them.

Edited by ScreamingAtTheRadio

Finally put them all together. One with modern keycaps and the other with original keycaps. Original keycaps keyboard is made from the original pretty 130XE version (from 2022) with low profile Kailh switches.

My 130XE's just jumped from retros with 2nd worst keyboard to the best keyboards place. Thank you @ScreamingAtTheRadio for this awesome project!

After I printed couple of simple small parts the keyboards fit very snugly into the case.

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

Edited by Nolium
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, Nolium said:

My 130XE's just jumped from retros with 2nd worst keyboard to the best keyboards place. Thank you @ScreamingAtTheRadio for this awesome project!

Glad you like it! They both look awesome.

I'm curious about your mods. What's the white rectangular part on the vintage keeb? I'm guessing it's pressing down on the keyboard from the top of the case? Also, that wire on previous to last photo?

I like your corner parts, care to share them on the GitHub repo?

47 minutes ago, ScreamingAtTheRadio said:

Glad you like it! They both look awesome.

I'm curious about your mods. What's the white rectangular part on the vintage keeb? I'm guessing it's pressing down on the keyboard from the top of the case? Also, that wire on previous to last photo?

I like your corner parts, care to share them on the GitHub repo?

Yes, rectangular part is for the case to press down on the keyboard, it mimics the thickness of the original keyboard.

Wire is for the LED lights.

Here are the STL files, I've printed then with a 0.3 layer height.

key_bump_modern.stl key_bump_low_profile.stl

I made them in Tinkercad, here are the links.

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/9RW5NuF4Pru

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/8lY3fDNroIp

Edited by Nolium
  • Like 5

On 5/6/2023 at 5:16 AM, ScreamingAtTheRadio said:

IMG_0002_7.thumb.JPG.01fe8bbf90897e2786387bc6c883f49d.JPG

Hello Bertrand,

it's me again....

Maybe, one stupid question @your new sidecar XE85 project:

Are the dimensions and the distances of the keys identical with the part of the ATARI ST/STE case? So could you cut a part out of a broken 520ST case and use it as a case for the Siedecar?

Thanks & cheers,

andY

20 minutes ago, andymanone said:

Are the dimensions and the distances of the keys identical with the part of the ATARI ST/STE case? So could you cut a part out of a broken 520ST case and use it as a case for the Siedecar?

I mean... You can do whatever you want with your property, but that is definitely not a goal as far as I'm concerned, and I'm almost tempted to get out of my way to make that sort of thing more difficult :D Seriously though, there will be a beautiful 3D-printed XE-style case for this, and that will be the recommended enclosure. Beyond that, you'll be on your own...

In other news, I did some trace surgery on the two prototypes I built and now the F1-4 keys are in the right order. Everything is working fine. I'm working on machine language drivers for it now, and on the enclosure. I also received the prototype key caps for F1-4, and they look great.

Edited by ScreamingAtTheRadio
  • Like 2

so here's my entry. i just got it back from england today, where it got U1MB and UAV upgrades from @flashjazzcat. i had already ordered a set of caps with large, dark 8-bit retro font. you can almost not tell from the picture, but the font size is too big. maybe i'll be changing them out soon for a regular set and giving this set away to someone who just can't afford the entire ball of wax. anyway, can't test it yet, i'm still waiting for the new version of adapters with connectors from jlcpcb

image.thumb.jpeg.78ad1992e9eef87fb501426f60a63305.jpeg

• Like 4

I think you're right in that the key caps look like they are all set to BOLD faced print.

In order to smooth out or diffuse the situation, enlarging and darkening the numbers on the number keys would have helped a bit maybe the arrow keys etc as well.

• Like 1

You can now see the 3D model here: https://github.com/bleroy/3d-junkyard/blob/main/SidecarXE85/Case/SidecarXE85-case-Top.stl

I'm going to print it tomorrow, see how it fits, then I'll design the bottom part. All this should be mostly reusable for a full XE case, so that could follow relatively shortly.

• Like 1

Does anybody have extra stems that convert from the new switches to the OEM atari keycaps?  My 3d printer doesn't do a good job and I am not really wanting to spend money for a resin printer right now.  I only need 5 or 6(for the reset, help, etc).  I would be willing to pay for the cost of the materials, labor and shipping.  Thank you.

I can't speak definitively for @ScreamingAtTheRadio, but most likely he's your guy. but you will need low profile switches to use them. I think he prefers the kailh choc lo pro switches. if you have regular cherry mx switches in those positions you'll most likely have to desolder them and solder lo pro's back in. he will see your question and answer you shortly

5 hours ago, MattS said:

Does anybody have extra stems that convert from the new switches to the OEM atari keycaps?

It's a little unclear what you're referring to. In early stages of the project, you had to replace the stems of Kailh Box switches with 3D printed ones. This required disassembling every switch and gave results that were good but not perfect. Now, if you want to use vintage key caps, you should use adapters that sit between a low-profile switch and the key cap. Make sure to select the file corresponding to your low-profile switch type and key cap type nfrom this directory: 3d-junkyard/Atari130MX/Stems at main · bleroy/3d-junkyard · GitHub

JLCPCB has very competitive prices on 3D printing now, especially if you use one of the STL files that put 10 parts in a single model. It's ~10c a part (plus shipping), so I wouldn't recommend anyone print those at home now, even if they have a 3D printer, it's just not worth the trouble.

The readme for the project should already be giving all this information. If you already read that and felt something was unclear, please let me know and I'll do my best to improve it.