IGNORED

Atari 130XE keyboard rebuild: vintage keycaps on modern switches

Bit of bad news... I received cap adapters and function keys yesterday and only just had time to test them. And well, they are a little too good. Where my little resin printer needed some fine tuning of the models to account for its own imprecision, the parts I had printed professionally are extremely precise, and the fit with switches and caps is way too loose. Bottom line, I have to trash the whole batch, >$100 worth of parts going to the bin.

That also means an additional delay on the pre-orders as I'll have to modify the models and order a new batch. I might also have to be conservative about quantities to not waste more money and do things in at least two orders. I apologize to the folks who made pre-orders for the additional delay.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ScreamingAtTheRadio said:

Bit of bad news... I received cap adapters and function keys yesterday and only just had time to test them. And well, they are a little too good. Where my little resin printer needed some fine tuning of the models to account for its own imprecision, the parts I had printed professionally are extremely precise, and the fit with switches and caps is way too loose. Bottom line, I have to trash the whole batch, >$100 worth of parts going to the bin.

What type of connector are the function keys using (MX or Atari keyboard)? Maybe they can be salvaged with a different adapter that takes into account for the different tolerances? 

3 hours ago, ScreamingAtTheRadio said:

That also means an additional delay on the pre-orders as I'll have to modify the models and order a new batch. I might also have to be conservative about quantities to not waste more money and do things in at least two orders. I apologize to the folks who made pre-orders for the additional delay.

well crap! sorry to hear. nothing can be done to fix them? a small 3d printed shim or wedge?

Ken

13 minutes ago, kenames99 said:

nothing can be done to fix them? a small 3d printed shim or wedge?

Unfortunately nothing that would be reversible. I thought about glue, and that might be sort of acceptable on the side of the switches, but there's no way to fix on the cap side without damaging the caps, which are irreplaceable and in finite number. It's ok, things take multiple attempts, I should have produced fewer since this is a whole new manufacturing process I haven't experienced with. I'm sorry about the delay that will cause.

1 hour ago, scorpio_ny said:

What type of connector are the function keys using (MX or Atari keyboard)? Maybe they can be salvaged with a different adapter that takes into account for the different tolerances? 

The function keys leave no space for another adapter. I'll have to have them redone. I might also ship them separately so folks can get their new keyboards fast and the function keys will come when they're ready.

So the parts that need to be redone are: adapters for vintage keys, and function keys for modern sets.

Well it's not all doom and gloom tonight. I give you the first production model of the JoyKey XL (this one is going in one of the pre-orders):

IMG_0001_8.thumb.JPG.736861c2933ee1146dbdf0d9a9c84cc2.JPG

And here's a first look at the JoyKey Mini, but this one has a number of issues still that I'll have to fix before I can ship a production version:

IMG_0001_9.thumb.JPG.861f6c8d848e78575a7b0199275ffe0e.JPG

I also think I'm going to go for black for future batches of this, losing the paintability for out of the box aesthetics.

• Like 3

On 3/14/2023 at 11:59 PM, Eyvind Bernhardsen said:

I can try to measure the clearance between the board and the PCB.

Finally found time to open my keyboard. There is indeed not a lot of clearance between the ribbon connector and the bottom of the keyboard, but note that the connector is horizontal:

IMG_0381.thumb.jpeg.d8df7d5f0018e23e4771fbedc3edde05.jpeg

Now I have some more questions:

• is the FFC cable connector on the top or bottom of the adapter?
  • how thick is the FFC connector?
  • how far does the adapter stick out of the ribbon connector?
  • where does the FFC cable need to be routed to on the new keyboard?

There's easily enough room for an adapter if the cable connector is on the bottom, but I'm not sure about FFC cable routing.

3 hours ago, Eyvind Bernhardsen said:

Finally found time to open my keyboard. There is indeed not a lot of clearance between the ribbon connector and the bottom of the keyboard, but note that the connector is horizontal:

Now I have some more questions:

• is the FFC cable connector on the top or bottom of the adapter?
  • how thick is the FFC connector?
  • how far does the adapter stick out of the ribbon connector?
  • where does the FFC cable need to be routed to on the new keyboard?

There's easily enough room for an adapter if the cable connector is on the bottom, but I'm not sure about FFC cable routing.

Oh wow, that is actually very lucky that it is horizontal. This should just work, the adapter will have the FFC connector under the board. It is very small, only about a cm. The cables are also flexible and foldable, so this will be no problem at all. On the keyboard side, it connects on the top-right.

17 minutes ago, ScreamingAtTheRadio said:

On the keyboard side, it connects on the top-right.

I’m assuming top right as viewed from above the keyboard?

There’s a big indentation on the top right of the bottom case where there’s only 1-2mm between the case and the keyboard, you can see it in my photo. It might be a tight fit if the connector is there.

2 minutes ago, Eyvind Bernhardsen said:

I’m assuming top right as viewed from above the keyboard?

There’s a big indentation on the top right of the bottom case where there’s only 1-2mm between the case and the keyboard, you can see it in my photo. It might be a tight fit if the connector is there.

Yes, as viewed from above when assembled. The keyboard will sit on top of the bottom part of the case. The footprint is about the same as the vintage keyboard. Should be a perfect fit.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ScreamingAtTheRadio said:

Yes, as viewed from above when assembled. The keyboard will sit on top of the bottom part of the case. The footprint is about the same as the vintage keyboard. Should be a perfect fit.

Yep. I've been worried about the high ledge that runs all around the bottom case, but the connector will be clear of it if it's still where it was in this picture:

I think this will work!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good news everyone! The adjusted printed parts just arrived, and the fit is perfect this time!

Here are the function keys (keep in mind, those will need to be painted by the end user although I have to say they look fine next to graphite caps):

image.thumb.jpeg.0f68aee30345796d2aae6336e62c760d.jpeg

And here is a test fit of the adapters on Kailh Choc switches for both circle and square caps:

image.thumb.png.5e10e67ac4523e857092b99be99a070f.png

I had ordered enough function key sets I think to cover all function keys from modern keyboard pre-orders, but I had only ordered a test batch for the vintage adapters, meaning I can now do a full order with enough to cover pre-orders but that will take an additional 2 weeks to arrive here.

• Like 12

I'm wondering if a bit of light gray or creme colored ladies nail polish dabbed into the new function key legend reliefs, then wiped flush would be the best bet for making them pop. if you could find the exact color (which is 10% gray in Inkscape) could be found to make them match the regular keycaps, that'd be great. you'd have to test it first to make sure it didn't smear and change the color of the rest of the cap after wiping it off, of course. I'll have my f-keys in a couple of weeks and i'll try it then and post the results...

image.png.2ee0ee997d3e2805dfd9ac52d39ac618.png

i messaged david back that i had figured out the pdf file into inkscape issue, had modified it to fit our exact layout, and asked a couple of questions. Here's what i came up with

image.thumb.png.b79cc1275001e39391b570de9ef28427.png

the hopsital that's going to do my shoulder surgery called this afternoon to remind me of my pre-op appointment tomorrow at 8am (2 hours away) that they never told me about to start with lol. so i gotta get to bed. nite...