IGNORED

PlusROM High Score Club

Al_Nafuur

The PlusROM High Score Club webpage should be revised. The navigation bar is getting more and more confusing with every new game. Also we could show more statistics on the start page. Maybe we could also use cookies to customize the page for every visitor.

some proposals and ideas for the start page:

• Show player, game and score of the last 10 scores sent.
  • Show the player who has sent the most overall scores to the HSC
  • Show the player who has sent the most scores in the last 3 weeks
  • Show which game is currently "hot" (most scores sent in the last 3 weeks)

proposals for the high score table pages:

• Use a search box for the game navigation
  • Store user settings in a browser cookie (for sorting, display table full or condensed and more?)

more proposals:

• extra page with the players list and link to the player stats

If you have more ideas, design proposals or scribbles, please post them here.

Currently I am using the W3C.CSS framework for the frontend. The backend is only a small messy PHP script. So please no fancy proposals unless you know a good PHP based high score table framework.

• Like 3

Some suggestions:

• A variation overview per game would be nice. E.g. for each variation display the highscore (and player), the number of entries and the date of the latest entry. That will help identifying the most popular variations and also make finding where is space for achieving new high scores easier. 
  • The game variation must no be listed in each line of the high score list. Also it is already visible in the drop down.
  • The games list at the top of the high score list could be removed, display the game name at the top and just allow navigating back to the games list instead. There you also have the sorting and soon search options. And then the stats on the high score page would become more obviously game related.
  • The high score navigation should be at the top and bottom of the list. It should also allow more navigation options (first, last).
  • The PlusCart Homepage button should be moved to the home page (games list).
  • The player statistics button should be removed from the high score lists.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have set up a development environment for the new PlusROM HSC features (and design) here:

https://high-score.firmaplus.de

I have migrated the single PHP script to a small routing and template framework.

There is still a lot to do, but I have already setup the new competition area.

A first (test) competition is already running. All personal high-scores sent for Asteroids (game select 1) and Crackpots (game 1) from Yesterday until the 1. of January will automatically be added to the competition.

https://high-score.firmaplus.de/competition/1

The personal best-scores of the games (During the competition period) are added to a combined score. In a competition the games have a multiplier for the score, so games with different scoring systems can contribute equally to the combined score. In the first competition Asteroids has a multiplier of 1 and Crackpots has one of 2.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bomberman94 said:

List of Top & Tom 2 seems to be wrong - there are many with rank 1, many with rank 2 and so on. Pre-sort of rank (best) is fine for others - but not tested all. 

48 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I think the game variations are not working.

Yes, fixed (Provisional)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

@bsteux has developed his new game HappyBird with support for the PlusROM High Score Club.

The game is a Flappy Bird clone programmed in C for the 6502 with the cc2600 compiler. The boxart is still work in progress.

As always, PlusCart user/tester can find the PAL60, and NTSC versions in the PlusStore directory "Public ROMs/PlusROMs/High Score Club" or in "Recently Added ROMs" for the next few days.

The NTSC version can be played online in javatari.js. The ROM-file can also be played with Gopher2600, or the newest version of Stella.

The "PlusCart High Score Club" page for HappyBird:
https://highscore.firmaplus.de/?game_id=60
happybird-label-main.jpg.bc29f7ec1813b98174691b934c21b4e9.jpg

some update on the new PlusROM HSC development website (https://high-score.firmaplus.de/)

I have added a login and upload feature for the screenshots.

To login the PlusStore username and the device-hash of the connected PlusCart is necessary. Emulator user must use their user nick with the postfix generated by the PlusROM HSC and the device hash generated by the emulator. @JetSetIlly and @Thomas Jentzsch is there an easy way for the user to find and copy the PlusROM id/hash in Gopher2600 and Stella?

When logged in you will find an upload icon besides the scores for which an upload is possible.

• Username and device must match those used when the score were submitted
  • Screenshots can only be uploaded for top 10 scores.
  • Images must be jpg or png
  • max file size is 2 MB
  • max image size is 1024x768

Login to the PlusROM HSC:

image.thumb.png.e34aad0f12c56b5ed722fa562d4d596f.png

Upload form and icon:

image.thumb.png.af393d6a351d8e88ce12a5083983e0d4.png

Device hash in PlusStore:

image.thumb.png.b64b8c45896e773ba393686d1ea31df8.png

6 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

Emulator user must use their user nick with the postfix generated by the PlusROM HSC and the device hash generated by the emulator. @JetSetIlly and @Thomas Jentzsch is there an easy way for the user to find and copy the PlusROM id/hash in Gopher2600 and Stella?

The ID is visible in the Gopher2600 debugger - the PlusROM Nick window, which you can open from the PlusROM menu. It's not selectable though so you can't copy it to the clipboard. I'll change that.

It's also visible in the preferences file, which is a normal text file.

• Like 1

From Stella documentation:

Enter/Exit the PlusROM backends setup dialog Shift-Control-Alt + P to enter...

Shift-Control-Cmd + P to enter...

This opens the following dialog:

image.png.b3249cf1d66f0179f2c11a5693a54b4f.png

There you can copy the nick, using the normal OS shortcuts.

As of now, the id is intentionally hidden from the normal user. It can be found as "plusroms.fixedid" in the settings table of Stella's database. We could add it (non-editable) to the PlusROM dialog.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

"Sky Jinks" has been modified for the PlusROM High Score Club.

The modified disassembly with the PlusROM functions for the HSC backend added can be found at the PlusROM example/hacks github repository here:

https://github.com/Al-Nafuur/PlusROM-Hacks/tree/main/High Score Club hacks/Sky Jinks HSC

As always, PlusCart user can find the PAL, PAL60, and NTSC versions in the PlusStore directory "Public ROMs\PlusROMs\High Score Club"

The NTSC version can be played online in javatari.js. The ROM-file can also be played with Gopher2600, or the newest version of Stella.

The "PlusROM High Score Club" page for "Sky Jinks":
https://highscore.firmaplus.de/?game_id=61

326328195_SkyJinks.png.958852a6f2a58600570b956e1cbcff13.png

• Like 2

"Night Driver" has been modified for the PlusROM High Score Club. Thanks to @DEBRO for the perfectly labeled and commented disassembly      on bjars.com.

The source code with the PlusROM functions for the HSC backend and the PAL version added can be found at the PlusROM example/hacks github repository here:

https://github.com/Al-Nafuur/PlusROM-Hacks/tree/main/High Score Club hacks/Night Driver HSC

As always, PlusCart user can find the PAL and NTSC versions in the PlusStore directory "Public ROMs\PlusROMs\High Score Club"

The "PlusROM High Score Club" page for "Night Driver":
https://highscore.firmaplus.de/?game_id=62

640680681_NightDriver.png.4b98f063a6a8476cbd75709e15070fa1.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The new version of the HSC is now ready to fulfill all the functions of the previous website and even offers a few more features and a better design. The changes not only affect the website, but also the API and the admin interface in the background. To avoid maintaining both versions in parallel I took the old site offline and replaced it with the new one.

The URL structure has changed and it may be that not all deep-links work anymore. But the links here in the thread should be redirected correctly.

https://highscore.firmaplus.de

image.thumb.png.21f83e4c4aba427c6b0322803194f029.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

@littaum has developed his new game Berry Fun! with support for the PlusROM High Score Club.

The game is a very funny wack-a-mole like game about picking strawberries for one player (or two players in coop mode). And it is the first game in the PlusROM HSC that uses a score in currency format.

As always, PlusCart user/tester can find the PAL60, and NTSC versions in the PlusStore directory "Public ROMs/PlusROMs/High Score Club" or in "Recently Added ROMs" for the next few days.

The "PlusCart High Score Club" page for Berry Fun!:
https://highscore.firmaplus.de/game/63
882090313_BerryFun.jpeg.4e3c1c4754ff9dcd6f064f07b7618c57.jpeg

• Like 4

Are other people experiencing issues with their high scores uploading correctly?

Happens to my friend at his house on his wifi occasionally... and just happened to me at my house on my wifi.  Different 2600's with different PlusCarts.  Both on the latest firmware.

James mentioned the same issue on his Zero Page Homebrew Twitch channel the other day.

It almost seems like luck of the draw if your high score posts correctly.  One will post, and then 5 minutes later another one won't post.

2 hours ago, chad5200 said:

Are other people experiencing issues with their high scores uploading correctly?

Happens to my friend at his house on his wifi occasionally... and just happened to me at my house on my wifi.  Different 2600's with different PlusCarts.  Both on the latest firmware.

James mentioned the same issue on his Zero Page Homebrew Twitch channel the other day.

It almost seems like luck of the draw if your high score posts correctly.  One will post, and then 5 minutes later another one won't post.

Funny that you mentioned this.  I just experienced it a number of times with HappyBird this evening.  What I've noticed is it will work and then when it stops, it will never work again unless you power cycle.  I use my phone to determine when it stops.  It's a pain, especially when your best play doesn't post :mad:.  Also it's been like this for a while and it could happen 5 minutes in or 30 minutes or not at all and be fine the entire time.  Can't seem to easily recreate it. 

17 hours ago, chad5200 said:

15 hours ago, Teleprompter said:

Funny that you mentioned this.  I just experienced it a number of times with HappyBird this evening.  What I've noticed is it will work and then when it stops, it will never work again unless you power cycle.  I use my phone to determine when it stops.  It's a pain, especially when your best play doesn't post :mad:.  Also it's been like this for a while and it could happen 5 minutes in or 30 minutes or not at all and be fine the entire time.  Can't seem to easily recreate it. 

HappyBird had a bug that sometimes caused the scores to be sent with an invalid HSC id. This bug has been fixed by @bsteux in the newest version. I have deleted the buggy version in the PlusStore yesterday. And I fixed all the affected scores in the database (@Teleprompter including a few of your scores).

Furthermore, the PlusCart is using a HTTP persistent connection for the PlusROM functions. If this connection is getting closed by the router, the ISP or somewhere else along the way to the server, it is usually reestablished by the PlusCarts WiFi module. But in some networks the connection gets occasionally closed in such a way that the WiFi module can't reestablish it. Fortunately, this problem affects only a few users and occurs rarely with other users, but unfortunately it is therefore difficult to recreate or debug for me.

15 hours ago, Teleprompter said:

It's a pain, especially when your best play doesn't post :mad:.

If you have a screenshot from your high score you can post it here or PM me and I will upload your score to the HSC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got my PlusCart in the mail yesterday, and it was pretty easy to set up.   Entering in my very long wi fi password wasn't too bad.  And I was glad to confirm that the PlusCart and SaveKey/AtariVox+ coexists peacefully on live hardware.   Now to get myself on some leaderboards!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Thomas Jentzsch has allowed Robot City to be added to the PlusROM High Score Club.

With "Robot City" Thomas put, like the good Atari 2600 classics, the right mix of strategy, action and "one more try" in a 4k ROM.

As always, PlusCart user/tester can find the PAL60, and NTSC versions in the PlusStore directory "Public ROMs\PlusROMs\High Score Club" or in "Recently Added ROMs" for the next few days.

The "PlusCart High Score Club" page for Robot City:
https://highscore.firmaplus.de/game/64

682335791_RobotCity.png.627048e9c72001d18022ebb45b3f3554.png

• Like 3

"Amidar" has been modified for the PlusROM High Score Club. Thanks to the late @Nukey Shay for the commented disassembly .

The source code with the PlusROM functions for the HSC backend can be found at the PlusROM example/hacks github repository here:

https://github.com/Al-Nafuur/PlusROM-Hacks/blob/main/High Score Club hacks/Amidar HSC/Amidar HSC.asm

As always, PlusCart user can find the PAL60 and NTSC versions in the PlusStore directory "Public ROMs\PlusROMs\High Score Club"

The "PlusROM High Score Club" page for "Amidar":
https://highscore.firmaplus.de/game/65

Amidar.png.be2354a0ef7f8786e9d9c8e6b0fc82f3.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

"Amidar" has been modified for the PlusROM High Score Club.

I tried it and it crashed 2 or 3 times, just like as if I removed the cartridge... I had to turn off the 7800 console and on again to retry.

It seems that this happens when it wants to save the score, as none of them are in the web page.

7 hours ago, vitoco said:

I tried it and it crashed 2 or 3 times, just like as if I removed the cartridge... I had to turn off the 7800 console and on again to retry.

It seems that this happens when it wants to save the score, as none of them are in the web page.

I had no crashes in Stella, Gopher2600 or on my 2600 so for far. I'll have to test on my 7800 today🤔

Using developer settings, I had a crash too, when the warriors automatically switched the enemies to shadows. Before it would overwrite the score area with maze garbage.

image.png.a3641af250e337d382bf1e7d43b6cce3.png

The reason seems to be a stack pointer underflow, where it wraps to $00.

Edit: Also happens in player settings, also when switching to the shadows. Also at around 1200 points.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Thanks 1