IGNORED

Atari SA releasing limited run 2600 cartridges.

Nall3k

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, lifemadesimple said:

Not interested in picking up the carts but dang those are some nice looking boards! Excited to see how they work out once carts start shipping.

ATARI has enhanced Yars' Return so it will be exclusive to ATARI XP (also detailed on the website).

I'm assuming Sabotuer and Aquaventure may receive similar updates.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Gunther said:

ATARI has enhanced Yars' Return so it will be exclusive to ATARI XP (also detailed on the website).

I'm assuming Sabotuer and Aquaventure may receive similar updates.

Yeah, that makes sense. Just sorta a shame to go through the effort of having a team design all this kit for new carts and only using it for Atari XP offerings. I mean I understand why, of course, from a business perspective. Just a shame imho.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, SabertoothRetro said:

It looks like Atari are asking for help identifying the dev for Aquaventure. Tod Frye and Gary Shannon seem to confirm they weren't materially involved.

https://twitter.com/atari/status/1491141917559910403?t=KKsovsHiGAUhik-akDrDmw&s=19

Has anyone confirmed that it was in-house and not farmed out?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gunther said:

Hopefully they'll post my final article next week or the week after.  Lots of good info in there.  The whole Nick Turner thing turned out to be a bit of a wild goose chase, but it was so interesting they still wanted to publish it.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 1:38 PM, Nall3k said:

It's marketing. The whole thing seems catered to collectors who want that veil of "official" and limited. I like the limited edition packaging, just don't know if I would pay that price, but to each their own.

Respectfully, it's not a "veil" to OG 2600 fans - the fact that Aquaventure and Saboteur were completely developed high quality titles and are getting their first official boxed cart release, is a big deal. Not to mention these are Ataris first cart releases in over 3 decades.

Edited by SJD69
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, SJD69 said:

Respectfully, it's not a "veil" to OG 2600 fans - the fact that Aquaventure and Saboteur were completely developed high quality titles and are getting their first official boxed cart release, is a big deal. Not to mention these are Ataris first cart releases in over 3 decades.

It probably would have had more of an impact and landed with less of a relative thud if they executed better from a marketing/clarity standpoint (the initial messaging was REALLY botched) and really was unreleased games. The fact remains that all of the games have been available at various points on/as both official and unofficial products in the past. 

Besides executing the initial launch better, I wonder if these would have been more interesting as a single multi-cart or some other extra step to further differentiate the release?

• Like 3

On 11/17/2021 at 9:09 AM, DEBRO said:

Hi there,

Looking at their site, it appears there was a copy-paste issue. For example, Aquaventure is credited to Howard Scott Warshaw and said it was to be released in 1983 however I believe this game was done by Tod Frye and not in any documented release schedule.

Here is my take on Yar's Return (yes..."Yar's" I'll get into that later). Marty may have to add. He has documentation where I'm going off memory.

• Curt Vendel came up with the idea for Yar's Return
    • Curt liked Yars' Revenge and wanted a sequel for the FB2 launch
  • Curt worked with a firm in China that hacked Yars' Revenge into Curt's vision for Yar's Return
  • The firm took Yars' Revenge and produced an 8K SARA chip hack in Curt's vision for Yar's Return
  • This firm didn't truly understand the workings of the VCS and produced a game that was unplayable
  • After the FB2 was released I voiced my disappointment to Curt
  • Curt sent me ROM images for a number of games...Yar's Return being one of them
  • I reverse-engineered  Yar's Return because Curt said he didn't have source code
  • I fixed the video issues for Yar's Return to where it was playable
  • John Champeau, Bob Decrenzo, and Curt were play testers and suggested game improvements
  • I implemented these game improvements which in my opinion made for an even better game
  • I can't remember when this revision started showing up on the FB units
  • I did this as a favor to Curt. I wanted his FB2 to be the best it could be. The updates were not approved by the Atari at the time
  • The "Yar's Return" as I understand it is the "Yar's Return" was sent to legal in 2005 before anyone caught that it should have been "Yars' Return"

I may have missed something things. I'm writing this kind of fast.

Any chance you might share this polished rom with the community?

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 1:07 PM, Mockduck said:

Man I hope these get released soon....March already and I wanted mine for Christmas. :) I'm fine-ish with waiting, but I hope it is soon.

I know... Sure would love to have it soon, but I also want them to make sure to take the time to get it just right!

• Like 2