IGNORED

Atari VCS (retail deals/discount thread)

Mockduck

21 minutes ago, SabertoothRetro said:

Yes, Microcenter is updated and the price is back to $399. So apparently it wasn't a dump of stock as had been suggested. 

Yikes, I've got a reservation for one that I'm planning on picking up today. I hope they honor the $249.99 price that's on my confirmation! Will report back. Btw, I wouldn't say that just because it wound up being a limited time sale (Tuesday 11/23 through Sunday 11/28) that it was not an effort to dump stock. $150 off a $400 product is pretty close to a closeout price. What will be telling is if the seven Micro Center locations currently sold out of the VCS restock or not. If they don't restock, I think we'll have our answer.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Yikes, I've got a reservation for one that I'm planning on picking up today. I hope they honor the $249.99 price that's on my confirmation! Will report back. Btw, I wouldn't say that just because it wound up being a limited time sale (Tuesday 11/23 through Sunday 11/28) that it was not an effort to dump stock. $150 off a $400 product is pretty close to a closeout price. What will be telling is if the seven Micro Center locations currently sold out of the VCS restock or not. If they don't restock, I think we'll have our answer.

If you reserved when at $249 they have to sell it to you for that price ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

There's still one left at the Houston location.

image.thumb.png.c7cd7df5f2ec0f7a45d557e92748f17e.png

It's either a restock or they are playing games. I attempted to reserve the 1 available in Saturday only to be emailed on Sunday it was out of stock, and at which the stock listed online was updated to 0, only to see there is 1 listed again on Monday. So either it's a restock or its phantom stock.

Actually I suppose its possible  someone reserved it at $249 and let the reservation expire. Who knows...

Edited by john_q_atari

7 hours ago, eightbit said:

If you reserved when at $249 they have to sell it to you for that price ;)

Not that I doubted you, but I can confirm that I had no issues picking up my $249.99 Black Walnut VCS All-In Bundle at Micro Center (St. Davids, PA) this afternoon!  Gonna have to add this bad boy to my AA signature...

• Like 6

$250 does make the VCS tempting, especially with the two controllers.  You could conceivably sell the controllers and you might wind up with the system for under $200. 

~$200 for a light-gaming mini-pc, in an attractive case, is compelling.  Even if you treat the Atari OS and included games as either a minor bonus or negligible, it would still be a viable candidate for an HTPC.  I could see it filling a niche as an aesthetically pleasing / small footprint streaming client, if you wanted to stream games from your larger/uglier rig, in another room.  

I've been thinking about replacements for my ancient HTPC, so a discounted VCS would be a contender.  I'll probably go with with a docked Steamdeck or a used business PC but at $249, the VCS certainly merits consideration.      

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Djmicklovin said:

My local Microcenter down in Georgia had 8 of them in stock and they are all sold out after the price drop. $250 bucks seems to be the sweet spot for this thing.

Nice! Interesting that your store (Duluth) is sold out but the Marietta location still has 10 of 'em!

On 11/23/2021 at 12:09 PM, sixersfan105 said:

Micro Center doesn't sell the console a la carte, just the bundle with the console, joystick and gamepad. They do sell the joystick and gamepad a la carte. You could always sell your joystick and then pick up the full bundle. Then it would be like picking up the bundle for $200, assuming you find a taker on the joystick for around $50. 

It looks like we had the same idea :) 

I wonder if there will be an uptick in VCS controllers, for sale, on Ebay. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, joeatari1 said:

https://www.gamestop.com/consoles-hardware/products/atari-vcs-800-onyx-all-in-system-bundle/202627.html

Game Stop is now $279.00!

And they are now offering shipping.

This is equally a good deal. It's only $30 more than the Microcenter deal which is of course now over. If I had missed that I would have definitely jumped on this one.

• Like 1