IGNORED

Deadly Disc color scheme

intvdave

14 hours ago, 1980gamer said:

Looks pretty cool, can you make TRON the light blue color?  

I had created ROM pokes a couple years ago to turn Tron light blue and turn the Sark warriors pink.  I also offset the disc colors so Tron's is blue and the enemy discs are black, orange, and yellow (standard, double-damage, and homing, in that order).  I never did change the background color though, but I wanted to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zendocon said:

I had created ROM pokes a couple years ago to turn Tron light blue and turn the Sark warriors pink.  I also offset the disc colors so Tron's is blue and the enemy discs are black, orange, and yellow (standard, double-damage, and homing, in that order).  I never did change the background color though, but I wanted to.

It is going to take more than pokes to get the colors right due to how the colors change as the enemies change.

49 minutes ago, intvdave said:

It is going to take more than pokes to get the colors right due to how the colors change as the enemies change.

Yeah, they're offset from the original color.  That's why I turned them pink instead of red: between dark blue and purple for the Leaders and Bulldogs, there are no other choices.

7 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Tron definitely looks purple…

Its not, it's "periwinkle".. which is light blue/light purple.  It's often used for water against a green background like Auto Racing, Armor Battle, AD&D... Etc.

Here is the palette from JzIntv.  

You can use Cyan for Flynn. That will look "glowing" against the black background 

post-27318-0-01287200-1401188129.png

That blue is used for the sky in many cartridges, B17, Sub Hunt, Thin Ice, and several Imagic cartridges.  It's also used for inky in pacman.  It does look more blue using early eighties equipment and more pinkish with newer TVs.  Emulator colours are up to the emulator programmer.  Default Jzintv colours have changed from that colour test image above.

Edited by mr_me

6 hours ago, intvdave said:

Was there a request to have a returning disc still be deadly?

What about making it a bit easier to kill the recognizer?

I know I created the graphics hack to make the Recognizer easy to defeat, but it would probably be good to make it an option.  The difficulty of disabling a Recognizer loosely captures the feeling of Tron's disabling the MCP at the end of the movie with that lucky shot.

21 minutes ago, Zendocon said:

I know I created the graphics hack to make the Recognizer easy to defeat, but it would probably be good to make it an option.  The difficulty of disabling a Recognizer loosely captures the feeling of Tron's disabling the MCP at the end of the movie with that lucky shot.

Thank you for the feedback. I am not trying to make killing the recognizer easy. It is frustrating to me when the recognizer closes all the doors I jammed open due to the difficulty of killing it. Also, I did not like that it took so long for the recognizer to come out. Since this is a game about points, I want to face the recognizer more and be able to beat it.

Having deadly returning disc has changed the complexity of playing the game.

Updating the color scheme is complete. I changed the light blue warrior and dark blue warriors leaving the purple and orange ones. I am also going to add lives to the games.

This is starting to feel like a Super Pro version of the game.

• Like 5

Color schemes are tough. I changed all the warrior colors.

Color scheme of warriors - RED, PINK, ORANGE, TAN

Open doors are now dark green. Tron is light blue... looks better than dark blue since the background is black.

I know why Tron looked purple in a prior post. The emulator colors were wrong. I am now using a color palette. The image below should look more accurate.

shot0014.gif.3a6b80590e629b535fc431377aa57b49.gif

• Like 6

3 hours ago, intvdave said:

Also, I did not like that it took so long for the recognizer to come out. Since this is a game about points, I want to face the recognizer more and be able to beat it.

In my opinion, I don’t think the recognizer needs to come out more often. If you go out the doors you opened, he will come out immediately after that wave. As you progress in the game you have to go out the doors a lot, so you wind up facing the recognizer all the time. When that happens, the game slows down because you have to wait for him to come all the way out and stop every time. This past year I had the world record on Twin Galaxies in this game at over 16 million, so I don’t think he needs to come out more often. Just my thoughts.

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

In my opinion, I don’t think the recognizer needs to come out more often. If you go out the doors you opened, he will come out immediately after that wave. As you progress in the game you have to go out the doors a lot, so you wind up facing the recognizer all the time. When that happens, the game slows down because you have to wait for him to come all the way out and stop every time. This past year I had the world record on Twin Galaxies in this game at over 16 million, so I don’t think he needs to come out more often. Just my thoughts.

As this is an SP version...  Make it an option.

Isn't the recognizer already pretty easy to kill?   I have never tried from the top of it.  But from the left or right it is pretty easy to time and line up.

I lose the top left door most of the time, but sometimes I don't even lose that one.

Again, as it is an SP version..  Make it an option!

45 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

In my opinion, I don’t think the recognizer needs to come out more often. If you go out the doors you opened, he will come out immediately after that wave.

He comes out after 6 or more doors are open and you wipe out the warriors on the screen. It has nothing to do with you going through the doors. You get more points for the recognizer so this will actually help you get higher scores faster.