IGNORED

Is it possible to create these games for the 7800?

Gunther

@Gunther most games can probably be ported or adapted for most systems, the catch is finding someone interested in doing the coding. Most of the 7800 developers in the community already have more projects than they have time. If you take some time to learn a bit more about the system, or even better try a little programming, you will soon learn what the 7800 is good and what it's not so good at. ?

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Silver Back said:

Where would you recommend somebody to start learning about programming for the 7800?  It’s something I’d be interested in looking in to but my coding experience is limited to copying a game for the c64 from a magazine like what, 30 years ago now I think. 

Right Here

The link is to the Atari Dev Studio thread. ADS is a development environment using Visual Studio Code. (it even has a sprite editor!)

If you want to wet your toes, grab ADS and try 7800 Basic, it's easy to get set up and start coding and is very powerful and flexible.

If you used to type in C64 programs you will feel at home with 7800Basic in no time. There are a bunch of sample programs included with 7800 Basic and loads of threads in the 7800 programming forum.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

Right Here

The link is to the Atari Dev Studio thread. ADS is a development environment using Visual Studio Code. (it even has a sprite editor!)

If you want to wet your toes, grab ADS and try 7800 Basic, it's easy to get set up and start coding and is very powerful and flexible.

If you used to type in C64 programs you will feel at home with 7800Basic in no time. There are a bunch of sample programs included with 7800 Basic and loads of threads in the 7800 programming forum.

Ok I’ll start their then. Is there sample code or any sort of guides included to help get somebody started, or are there any recommended reading to help get started?  

3 hours ago, Gunther said:

Final Assault for the 7800; is it possible?

Also using 160B mode you can emulate “Konop” mode easily. I’ve done that on A7800 and looks ok. And instead of using nibbles you can use bytes to put pixel on screen. If you use the Rescue of Fractalus cart, you can easily duplicate 4 lines vertically. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mimo said:

How about call of duty? 

Halo on the 2600, raytracing on the c64... why not CoD on the 7800?  ;-) IMHO anything can be ported to anything else (if you interpret "port" as "do a version of," which I do. You capture the spirit, flavor and features of the game, but obviously not every element).  Thinking about a more strict definition, there are fantastic 3d-ish maze demos out there.

2 hours ago, Silver Back said:

Is there sample code or any sort of guides included to help get somebody started, or are there any recommended reading to help get started?  

There are lots of fantastic sample programs with 7800basic that demonstrate most of the key features.

• Like 5