IGNORED

"ATARI AR" a new art project is looking for a master of the homebrew

kid_snz

47 minutes ago, Dave C said:

Attached is my latest demo - another update with some taxi movement and tuning the sound a little

I love the taxi movement. Definitely makes it more challenging. And I love the sounds. The tune while getting the pretzel is awesome.

On 2/4/2022 at 12:21 AM, KevKelley said:

I love the taxi movement. Definitely makes it more challenging. And I love the sounds. The tune while getting the pretzel is awesome.

On 2/4/2022 at 3:58 PM, kid_snz said:

I really love both the taxi movement and the new invulnerable song! It's giving us a courage to face the cabs.

Thanks all! I start feeling like the taxis aren't dangerous enough, but then I'll get hit by one...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dave C said:

small update - hacked in $ score, life display and a new crash animation from @kid_snz - I still haven't gotten to trying out barricades (next) and collision on the buildings is still messy... 

pizza-boy-20220206.bin 16 kB · 2 downloads pizza-boy-20220206.zip 15.46 kB · 0 downloads

It plays great.  I found it challenging but not too hard and as I mentioned before, I love the sounds.  The crash animation is fun too!

I see what you mean about the occasional collision with the buildings.  There were a couple instances where I would slide around.  I had this same problem.  Here was my solution:

if joy0down then player0y=player0y+2:goto SLR
 if joy0up then player0y=player0y-2:goto SLR
SKIPLR_COL 
 if joy0right then player0x=player0x-3:if joy0up then player0y=player0y-2 : if joy0down then player0y=player0y+2:goto SLR
 if joy0left then player0x=player0x+3:if joy0up then player0y=player0y-2 :if joy0down  then player0y=player0y+2 :goto SLR
SLR

Essentially, I used your collision detection method of skipping the detection for the rows but if there is collision detection, depending on which direction you are going in I push the sprite back but I added an additional check on the left or right, so if you are also pressing up or down it will bump you. I think that when I didn't have it and it detected collision it would kind of go in a collision loop until it pushes you out so when I added that little bit it kind of kicks you out of the playfield a bit.  Its not perfect but it really helped a lot.  To get around with some of the collision issues this was also why I expanded the collision skip area and allowed the sprite to travel behind the buildings - to kind of elliminate any jagged edges that can make these collision loops.

PIZZBOY_2022_02_07b.bas PIZZBOY_2022_02_07b.bas.bin

Edited by KevKelley
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Dave C said:

small update - hacked in $ score, life display and a new crash animation from @kid_snz - I still haven't gotten to trying out barricades (next) and collision on the buildings is still messy... 

pizza-boy-20220206.bin 16 kB · 2 downloads pizza-boy-20220206.zip 15.46 kB · 0 downloads

I'm glad to see that the new crash animations fit in so well with the game design. The new score display seems to worship capitalism, but I like it because I wanted to make it look like the boy is trying hard to survive in the city by earning tips. I'll try to see what kind of design would be better for the life icon. Thank you :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KevKelley said:

Essentially, I used your collision detection method of skipping the detection for the rows but if there is collision detection, depending on which direction you are going in I push the sprite back but I added an additional check on the left or right, so if you are also pressing up or down it will bump you.

Interesting. I was trying to adjust the bounce based on which side of the building the boy was on (trying to make turning corners smoother, there was a tendency to bounce the wrong way away from a corner) but this created some situations where you "slide" through / across a building. Your loop cuts the bounce logic short in a couple of interesting ways...

5 hours ago, kid_snz said:

The new score display seems to worship capitalism, but I like it because I wanted to make it look like the boy is trying hard to survive in the city by earning tips.

NYC $$$. I was wondering if the boy should get a higher score for faster delivery / get a delivery canceled. I was hoping to get the lives/score on the same line but it's tricky using the sprites that way (have to use both sprites for the score even with just 3 digits...)

8 hours ago, Dave C said:

Interesting. I was trying to adjust the bounce based on which side of the building the boy was on (trying to make turning corners smoother, there was a tendency to bounce the wrong way away from a corner) but this created some situations where you "slide" through / across a building. Your loop cuts the bounce logic short in a couple of interesting ways...

NYC $$$. I was wondering if the boy should get a higher score for faster delivery / get a delivery canceled. I was hoping to get the lives/score on the same line but it's tricky using the sprites that way (have to use both sprites for the score even with just 3 digits...)

I think the only problem I get is that on occasion I may slide or get bumped with the up or down movement so i probably should put a little check in there. 

On 2/8/2022 at 2:37 PM, kid_snz said:

@Dave C @KevKelley Thank you for explaining that there are two versions of the Pizza Boy in the thread that introduces the games. It seems to stand out a bit more than the others, so maybe more people will be interested in this thread lol.

I just don't want to cause any confusion or take away from your art and the work that Dave C has done. But I really find the idea fun. Plus it's cool to see the games progress. I love watching videos that compare ports of games or show variations of a game, like the various Pac-Man clones. Neat to see the differences.

I had also been using it to come up with ideas for my other game. My first game was Bag Boy and remains incomplete but had similar concepts, such as the cars driving or delivering things. When I started it I was a bit over ambitious in my plans and didn't understand as much and hit some blocks fast. Pizza Boy had gotten me to revisit some of those ideas and come up with fixes that I had been too apathetic to work on. I guess this helped me overcome a block.

6 hours ago, KevKelley said:

I just don't want to cause any confusion or take away from your art and the work that Dave C has done.

I think your version wins on game mechanics - things like picking up the pizza box feels more tactile, the use of sprites and missiles matches the way the kernel works (there's going to be flicker in my code, right now more than there strictly needs to be), the street layout allows for more destinations, etc. 

19 minutes ago, kid_snz said:

@Dave C @KevKelley

I'd like to ask you both, if I only know html and css, if I understand all the tutorials here little by little, will I be able to use batari Basic and make games like you guys in 6 months or a year? Do you have any other tutorials that I can refer to, or any advice on where to start?

I had played around with BASIC growing up (copying games from magazines or TI Basic games into my Apple IIc or QBasic) and I learned HTML in high school but never really got far with programming but I had only just learned of batari Basic about 3 years ago. It was a little different but once I learned the quirks I feel I have been getting better. 

I spend a lot of time reading Random Terrain's website and I like to problem solve through trial and error or following the code. It is kind of fun and relaxing to see how something works and then combing through each line to make it work...

These forums have also been real great. I look through the various topics while making programs and everyone has been very helpful in not only answering some questions but also providing deeper knowledge that helps with understanding more.

But I'm still learning. That is why I liked the Pizza Boy idea. It ties in several things I had been practicing with nicely. I get excited when my programs actually resemble real games! ?

3 hours ago, kid_snz said:

Do you have any other tutorials that I can refer to, or any advice on where to start?

If you look at my channel, I started with Bag Boy after watching the Tinkernut video which was a nice easy intro but found RT's website much more helpful over time. If you see the dates posted on my videos that kind of gives you a timeline on my progression, coming from a relative beginner.

3 hours ago, KevKelley said:

If you look at my channel, I started with Bag Boy after watching the Tinkernut video which was a nice easy intro but found RT's website much more helpful over time. If you see the dates posted on my videos that kind of gives you a timeline on my progression, coming from a relative beginner.

Thank you for sharing your personal story with us. I watched Bag Boy's old videos and enjoyed to see the timeline on your progression and especially in 2019, it has changed quickly and dramatically. And you've really created a lot of different games omg.

I understand, I'm going to study TR's tutorials steadily and do a lot of trial and error anyway as Dave told me before.

Btw, I just watched the latest progress video of your version, and it's a hell of updates! Wouldn't it be better to start a separate thread for example, rather than worrying about me and not making a big public announcement here? I'm fine with the way things are now if you don't mind, but is there any way to make it better?

11 hours ago, kid_snz said:

I'd like to ask you both, if I only know html and css, if I understand all the tutorials here little by little, will I be able to use batari Basic and make games like you guys in 6 months or a year? Do you have any other tutorials that I can refer to, or any advice on where to start?

So I started out learning BASIC on a TRS-80, typing in programs from magazines (like many people here), later I wound up going to school and learning formally. So I have a mix of self-taught and formal education and job experience. I will say - I like to code but I have never really been the best amongst my peers - I just like it enough to persevere and I have been lucky enough to keep going. 

I know that because of how I learned programming by typing things in I always want to start from the smallest possible examples and work from there. So I like to read the examples at the site you mention and also Alien Bill https://alienbill.com/2600/bbkickstart/ - I think they are good. 

I also have to troubleshoot a lot, and it is good to ask questions (I am not good at this myself). I believe the forums here are really, really good at helping.

One other thing I like about Atari, there are so many public codes to read so I have a "study" directory - it is full of KevKelley's demos, MSohl, yours, random terrain, demoscenes, etc. I look at the code, run them in Stella and step through to see how they work and make changes to see what happens.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dave C said:

I look at the code, run them in Stella and step through to see how they work and make changes to see what happens

Same. I love how many do share their work in the Atari community and it is just like when I was little and I would type in games and then when I was done I'd change numbers and variables or insert my own lines to see what happened. Now it takes me not nearly as long to start a project but what is even more fulfilling is that I may come up with a basic idea at work and when I enter it in on my lunch... IT WORKS! 

So I think that if people stick with it, it wouldn't take long to make something that plays

Edited by KevKelley

14 hours ago, kid_snz said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/upq1ckf30phidbq/22-02-11-16-34-28.mp4?dl=0

I tested the latest demo of Dave today on the Android phone and I'll share the video here! Hopefully it will work on the iPhone as well soon, but I'm still working on it.

Okay. That is awesome. So have you settled on the pizza boy and slice as the image you would use to then play the game? If so it is cool. I could picture this hanging in a small picture frame in every small pizzeria. While you pick up you play a fun little pizza game. 

20 hours ago, Dave C said:

So I started out learning BASIC on a TRS-80, typing in programs from magazines (like many people here), later I wound up going to school and learning formally. So I have a mix of self-taught and formal education and job experience. I will say - I like to code but I have never really been the best amongst my peers - I just like it enough to persevere and I have been lucky enough to keep going. 

I know that because of how I learned programming by typing things in I always want to start from the smallest possible examples and work from there. So I like to read the examples at the site you mention and also Alien Bill https://alienbill.com/2600/bbkickstart/ - I think they are good. 

I also have to troubleshoot a lot, and it is good to ask questions (I am not good at this myself). I believe the forums here are really, really good at helping.

One other thing I like about Atari, there are so many public codes to read so I have a "study" directory - it is full of KevKelley's demos, MSohl, yours, random terrain, demoscenes, etc. I look at the code, run them in Stella and step through to see how they work and make changes to see what happens.

Yes, me too! I started mostly with magazines (which were pretty affordable back then) and books from the library or Radio Shack or full bookstore. I got the Atari 2600 BASIC cartridge but quickly exhausted the limits of that. A bit later my parents bought the family a TRS-80 Color Computer (CoCo 1), and in a couple more years, a C64. The CoCo and C64 had pretty good manuals, especially the C64 if you bought the Programmers manual. 

2 hours ago, Sohl said:

Yes, me too! I started mostly with magazines (which were pretty affordable back then) and books from the library or Radio Shack or full bookstore.

Yes, how could I forget about those Radio Shack books.

https://archive.org/details/Basic_Computer_Games_1978_David_Ahl/

I don't think these are going to translate easily to programming for the Atari 2600. Although now I'm thinking about how to do Zork.