IGNORED

"ATARI AR" a new art project is looking for a master of the homebrew

kid_snz

On 2/12/2022 at 2:03 AM, Dave C said:

I look at the code, run them in Stella and step through to see how they work and make changes to see what happens.

What exactly do you do with Stella? Do you use debug mode and hold down the Frame +1 button in the upper right corner to check how is works?

Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 3.58.29 PM.png

On 2/12/2022 at 11:17 AM, KevKelley said:

Okay. That is awesome. So have you settled on the pizza boy and slice as the image you would use to then play the game? If so it is cool. I could picture this hanging in a small picture frame in every small pizzeria. While you pick up you play a fun little pizza game. 

I'll decide the images as AR marker once the game is completed maybe. The idea of having it played at pizzeria is interesting, and I feel like it's giving me some new ways to think this project. I think there might be more possibilities, not limited to exhibiting in galleries and other art spaces. Thank you :)

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 1:40 AM, Dave C said:

Yes, how could I forget about those Radio Shack books.

https://archive.org/details/Basic_Computer_Games_1978_David_Ahl/

I don't think these are going to translate easily to programming for the Atari 2600. Although now I'm thinking about how to do Zork.

This is the book you guys are talking about, interesting! I remembered when I was in technical high school, we all got a pocket computer and input these samples to make games like rock-paper-scissors.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kid_snz said:

. I think there might be more possibilities, not limited to exhibiting in galleries and other art spaces.

I remember some of the pizzerias I went to when I was little had a single arcade cabinet off to the side. Kind of reminiscent

2 hours ago, kid_snz said:

What exactly do you do with Stella? Do you use debug mode and hold down the Frame +1 button in the upper right corner to check how is works?

Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 3.58.29 PM.png

Frame+1, Scan+1, Step+1 and Debug Colors are my friends - debug colors lets you see how playfield/sprites are being used, going through the scan lines is more something I do to debug low level problems. 

It is hard to see from Stella how the Basic is executing though, since it all gets converted to Assembly. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 2:03 AM, Dave C said:

I know that because of how I learned programming by typing things in I always want to start from the smallest possible examples and work from there. So I like to read the examples at the site you mention and also Alien Bill https://alienbill.com/2600/bbkickstart/ - I think they are good. 

I know you suggested me this before and I read and understood all of this today and it was such a fun time. Thank you :)

On 2/14/2022 at 1:52 AM, Dave C said:

Made a few updates

• added a title screen kernel (can use atari background builder data, asymmetric repeated, 4 line kernel, 44 rows)
  • score/life colors
  • replaced building collision - should be smoother now

pizza-boy-20220213.bin 16 kB · 6 downloads pizza-boy-20220213.zip 16.62 kB · 3 downloads

It's surprising to see the title screen functioning asymmetrically! The building collision is gone and the gameplay is much more stable which is amazing.

I'd like to see what's going on, but I can't compile the bas. file with latest demo. Is there any extension that I should install for VS Code? Also in the last demo, I was able to compile the file, but the $ sign in the score was turned into a square.

I also tried to find where the title screen is drawn, but I have no idea where is, can you tell me how you draw it? I'm thinking to draw an illustration for a package design, and I'd try to convert the illustration into a title screen, even if it's very rough.

On 2/11/2022 at 9:15 PM, kid_snz said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/upq1ckf30phidbq/22-02-11-16-34-28.mp4?dl=0

I tested the latest demo of Dave today on the Android phone and I'll share the video here! Hopefully it will work on the iPhone as well soon, but I'm still working on it.

The AR system finally works really smoothly on the iPhones as well today!

For some reasons the buttons don't work on iPhones, but it's no a big problem since it's totally fine on the Android phones, I guess.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kid_snz said:

I'd like to see what's going on, but I can't compile the bas. file with latest demo.

My mistake - I added a new file that didn't get included in the zip - pizza_title.asm - that has the title graphics. And the $ sign is in score_graphics.asm but if that one is missing bB has its own version (with no $) it will use if a custom one isn't available.

To edit the background graphics you can do it in the file, or... if you have an Atari Background Builder .asm (repeated, asymmetric, 4 pixels x 44 rows) you will see at the end 6 data sections

PF0DataA | PF1DataA | PF2DataA | PF0DataB | PF1DataB | PF2DataB  

You can copy them into pizza_title.asm but they need to be renamed with a T:

TPF0DataA | TPF1DataA | TPF2DataA | TPF0DataB | TPF1DataB | TPF2DataB  

I'm attaching the updated zip - it's got everything (including the $ sign)

pizza-boy-20220215.zip

Edited by Dave C

17 hours ago, Dave C said:

To edit the background graphics you can do it in the file, or... if you have an Atari Background Builder .asm (repeated, asymmetric, 4 pixels x 44 rows) you will see at the end 6 data sections

I used the Atari Background Builder to design a rough image which references to Paperboy. It's really fun to import an image and make adjustments from there.

The dollar sign is now displayed without any problems. Thank you!

Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 6.39.06 PM.png

• Like 2

On 2/16/2022 at 6:46 PM, kid_snz said:

I used the Atari Background Builder to design a rough image which references to Paperboy. It's really fun to import an image and make adjustments from there.

The dollar sign is now displayed without any problems. Thank you!

Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 6.39.06 PM.png

Oh wow! I love this and love the Paper Boy reference.  I showed somebody at work this game and they immediately mentioned Paper Boy so it is cool to see others making some sort of connection.  This design would look awesome on a shirt!

I had been playing around with this idea some more.  I kind of combined it with some ideas I was working on for another game, where you deliver in an apartment as sort of a platforming portion.  Maybe a kind of bonus scenario.  On my mainscreen if the door appears in the apartment (big building top center) it will take you to the apartment where you must go up or down the elevators delivering pizzas while jumping over a ball a kid throws down the hall. Haven't programmed everything though.  So far the ball doesn't do anything. Pressing up delivers the pizza and I haven't figured out how to exclude pressing up around the ball yet. I kind of code quickly on lunch and then figure out the details later. Not sure what it will do.  

Here is a video of it. For testing I have it only spawn on the apartment.  I also made a dog along with the cars who chases after you and grabs the pizza and runs away.  The code needs some work and causes some scanline issues but I was just trying to get the basic idea down.  I wanna kind of make the cars move like in @Dave C's version, as that makes it that much more challenging and fun. Maybe like a difficulty progression thing. Still haven't figured out what all the obstacles would do but I wanna get your pretzel in there!  

Can't wait to see your next updates!  

PIZZBOY_2022_02_22.bas.bin PIZZBOY_2022_02_22.bas

Edited by KevKelley
  • Like 2

@KevKelley

I subscribed to your YouTube channel, and I actually watch your all updates and was laughing when I saw those demos. The boy throwing the ball and the dog taking the pizza are very aggressive and I'm afraid they might remind you of the trauma of the dog attacked you lol.

I was thinking my first game should have some sort of historical relevance, so it's great to hear that someone at your work noticed!

The scene inside your building has enough potential on its own to be one game, and it's also an inspiration for something new. How about a game adaptation of the movie The Shining?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kid_snz said:

The scene inside your building has enough potential on its own to be one game, and it's also an inspiration for something new. How about a game adaptation of the movie The Shining?

I was using the inside portion to work out some ideas so that I may revisit a previous project. A neighbor of mine crafts a giant immersive escape room/haunted house every Halloween and it is kind of like a giant art installation that involves a continuous story, puzzles, actors, and very well designed sets. I was hoping to make a kind of game inspired by that but was using the pizza game as a way to work out ideas. I think it kind of works as a neat little side game with similar gameplay elements as the main game. 

My hope would be to randomize the apartment a bit to require using the elevators more. I kind of also drew inspiration from Elevator Action - another childhood favorite of mine. 

I also wanted to try and make this a little different from your game.  I'm still learning and when I program I kind of go through a process of adding and then subtracting game elements, trying to use all the different parts (sprites/ball/missile/playfield). I have been trying to learn using Superchip too. Then I kind of see if I can figure out what I screw up. Lol

The inside portion adds a whole other dimension. I really like the way the elevators work. Trying to time jumps over the ball makes me think of Keystone Kapers also. 

I don't have anything to show right now but I spent some time last weekend doing a poc on adding a few more sprites, I'm going to make a push on that this weekend.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

After a bit of a break I've made some tuneups

- integrated MSohl's honk sounds more closely and tried to generally clean up the other sounds
   - I have added barriers - only one can appear at once and can either be the tree, cones or a barricade
     - placement is driven by data table - def needs tuning
   - more code annotations

image.thumb.png.083536d22441a8d282f874a0b40c7e4d.png   

pizza-boy-20220515.bin pizza-boy-20220515.zip

• Like 5

On 5/16/2022 at 1:13 AM, Dave C said:

After a bit of a break I've made some tuneups

- integrated MSohl's honk sounds more closely and tried to generally clean up the other sounds
   - I have added barriers - only one can appear at once and can either be the tree, cones or a barricade
     - placement is driven by data table - def needs tuning
   - more code annotations

Cool!

• 2 months later...
On 7/24/2022 at 7:40 PM, Dave C said:

Catching up on various project progress - modest update - working with kid_snz, put in improved obstacle placement, better use of M Sohl's sounds as well as ability to restart from game over

pizza-boy-20220724.bin 16 kB · 7 downloads pizza-boy-20220724.zip 20.54 kB · 2 downloads

It might be a good addition if there was a countdown to zero for the tip you make if you take too long with the pizza. Currently I can wait an infinite amount of time with the pizza in my hand or wait for a pretzel to appear for invincibility to get to the waiting customer.

- James

1 hour ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

It might be a good addition if there was a countdown to zero for the tip you make if you take too long with the pizza. Currently I can wait an infinite amount of time with the pizza in my hand or wait for a pretzel to appear for invincibility to get to the waiting customer.

- James

Thank you for always featuring us on your thread, James! I'd like to keep the game simple because the AR system is designed so that the camera must always be pointed at the marker or the screen will disappear and the game will be reset. But thank you for the great fun idea.

The Atari AR I am working on is almost complete and works as shown in this video.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CgNmGczg8yb/

Edited by kid_snz
  • Like 2