IGNORED

Asteroite pre-orders OPEN NOW

Songbird

On 5/10/2022 at 6:56 PM, ColecoGamer said:

I’ve spent hours playing Asteroite without encountering any bugs. I’m undecided about sending my cartridge back for a replacement.

Same, think I'm about third of the way through now, I haven't noticed any issues yet but I've been trying to avoid spoilers where possible! I might be up for just getting a new copy locally as I bought abroad to get a controller as well. 

• Like 1

Big shout out to Carl. Nice customer service. Can imagine the pain and effort to do a recall.

Got my game cart back and it had my preserved saves on it still. Not really important to me as I only started playing it when the bugs were being reported. But I thought that was cool.

Spent a good 3 hrs playing this game yesterday. Impressive. One of the best Jag game eva IMHO.

Thank to both @phoboz and @Songbird for making this game happen.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Its not bad. Ive got about 30% of items so far. Its hard not to compare it to the masterpieces Super Metroid and even Metroid Dread. I know it's a Jaguar game but the controls couldve been improved IMO. its not easy to fire diagonally and thats an issue when many enemies are flying or are much taller. most enemies are killed by standing there and repeatedly feeding them bullets. dont really have to dodge attacks for the most part. seems this way with the bosses as well so far. level design is pretty bland.

ill give my final judgment once i beat it it  its hard not to like a Metroid clone, but ive just seen better offerings in this subgenre. if it came out in 1994, this would be considered legend though

On 5/16/2022 at 4:18 PM, GrizzLee said:

Big shout out to Carl. Nice customer service. Can imagine the pain and effort to do a recall.

Got my game cart back and it had my preserved saves on it still. Not really important to me as I only started playing it when the bugs were being reported. But I thought that was cool.

Spent a good 3 hrs playing this game yesterday. Impressive. One of the best Jag game eva IMHO.

Thank to both @phoboz and @Songbird for making this game happen.

that is because he is probably usign a jagtopus board or simmilar so very simple to reprogram

so in essance not really a pain to do a recall, just reflash the existing board

now if he used eproms to make the cart like what was done with the uk distribution, then that would be / is a real pain

Edited by omf

On 6/2/2022 at 7:44 PM, JagChris said:

@dudeguy 

So you think he should improve controls and improve the pattern of enemy attacks? 

Im not in a position to say that because I couldnt program a game to save my life. I had difficulty with the controls in Metroid Dread at first as well and eventually got used to it. I also know there are no shoulder buttons on the Jag controller so you cant hold a button to aim diagonally up or aim diagonally down. I guess I just figured the numerical keypad buttons were gonna be utilized somehow but I didnt see any functions with them.

It's a good game, period, I like any game that is similar to Metroid, maybe I am just nitpicking. Again, the programmer went way beyond what Id be able to do myself so I dont want to sound hypocritical by criticizing it.

A question on your opinions here?

Which one is a better game,

Asteroite or Hyper Force?

E.g. the 2 Metroidvanias that I know exist for the Atari Jaguar.

Please tell me if I missed any?

Edited by rogneda

• 4 weeks later...

I received my second run of Asteroite more than two months ago and have been slowly working through in my spare time. Every thing works great, no crashes, no save failures, everything is full production quality with the cart, box, art, everything. 

That's not why I decided to log in to post this.  This game is hard, in a good way that has virtually been lost.  I cannot spam save slots to avoid ending up without health in an area I maybe didn't take too much care breaking in to.  I'm about 60% through my first run, and I've had to play this game like countless other great replayable games over the decades that get dismissed by the interwebs as "shallow" or "quarter munchers".  This isn't NES level try and redie, or the PS2 "revivals of those that cheapen even that with restarting entire sections without power ups or specifics you earned. This is just me missing gameplay mechanics that are right at my finger tips the entire time.  And I've played this the same with the original 3 Button Jag pad and the Pro Controller recently discontinued, to no ill effect either way.

I got stuck at the slime boss featured in one of the preview videos, without the high jump or the flip to make it easier to maneuver.  He was still beatable, I just had to figure it out like Shadow Dancer's last boss and his minions on Genesis.  Which is awesome by the way. 

This game gives a new meaning, one that is not in any Metroid game I've played all the way through Zero mission, of back tracking.  I might do it to regain health from the source I will not give away, or because I think I ended up biting off more than I could chew in the current armor state, and at this point in the game everything was technically possible without the upgrades.  This is great game design, great attention to detail, and actual challenge to the player's dexterity and problem solving at the same time.

Thank you for taking the time to make it this way, not to mention what you made it for.

• Like 7

That's awesome, I am so glad to hear you're enjoying the challenge! The game is tough but beatable, and yes, you do need to watch out for a few sections where health farming is not so easy. In particular I remember the first time I made it into the factory area I thought it was almost unbeatable. But now after multiple playthroughs start to finish, I realized I just needed to be a bit more intentional about how I play.

Game on! :)

• Like 2