IGNORED

Asteroite pre-orders OPEN NOW

Songbird

Can clear lower sewer crab area now.  I think I only found 1x missile there, but hard to remember.

Found the the 1x missile using the ball jump at the top of the hill.

Was in the The Laboratory Area, and now have 24 missiles, 76%.  I cleared the second area there and now had 28 missiles I decided to move ahead and then ran into a water pit with spiked wall and died. 

I do now how to use the ball jump and slowly move on the ceiling.

What I like about the game:

Graphics are really good. 

You can save the game progress.

Music is really good.

Lots of variety of scenery, when I first saw the sewer area I thought is was very cool.

Game is very big, lots to explore. 

Great bosses and mini bosses.

Lots of enemy types.

The lush areas in the game are really nice to look at.

I love the amount of color in the game on the screen, it is amazing.

Couple ideas if there is ever a sequel:

Have a inventory of what has been obtained, % complete.

Jumping is a little off, have hero move left or right a little more slowly when in the air or have hero fall a slower rate from the air to control that better.

When hero goes to a knee have him see a little more of the lower part of the screen.  Sometimes you have to just make a leap of faith, but if you could see more of screen in those parts it would reward the cautious player. 

Have save screen replenish hero's health.

Only area I don't enjoy so much is the factory area due to the lava / flames and the jumps seem to hard in this area.

Various guns to pick from, like Gunlord.

Larger font size in the manual, I'm getting old.

Little less back tracking for health near the end.

IMG_1588.jpeg

IMG_1585.jpeg

IMG_1582.jpeg

• Like 5

How strange, I have never died on that level, it is one of the most difficult moments in the game, but it is not impossible at all, although I admit that it is an area where one feels danger and tension, it is good that it is not as easy as modern games .
It's only at the final level that I feel that tension again, but the constant rewards encourage me to want to review everything.

with a little training in platform games it's very possible to beat that underground level, those crabs aren't even smart, they can be killed or avoided.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grips03 said:

Can clear lower sewer crab area now.  I think I only found 1x missile there, but hard to remember.

Was in the The Laboratory Area, and now have 24 missiles, 76%.  I cleared the second area there and now had 28 missiles I decided to move ahead and then ran into a water pit with spiked wall and died. 

I do now how to use the ball jump and slowly move on the ceiling.

Graphics are really good. 

You can save the game progress.

Music is really good.

Lots of variety of scenery, when I first saw the sewer area I thought is was very cool.

Game is very big, lots to explore. 

Great bosses and mini bosses.

Lots of enemy types.

The lush areas in the game are really nice to look at.

Have a inventory of what has be obtained.

Jumping is a little off, have hero move left or right a little more slowly when in the air or have hero fall a slower rate from the air to control that better.

When hero goes to a knee have him see a little more of the lower part of the screen.  Sometimes you have to just make a leap of faith, but if you could see more of screen in those parts it would reward the cautious player. 

Have save screen replenish hero's health.

Only area I don't enjoy so much is the factory area due to the lava / flames and the jumps seem to hard in this area.

Various guns to pick from, like Gunlord.

Larger font size in the manual, I'm getting old.

Little less back tracking for health near the end.

IMG_1588.jpeg

IMG_1585.jpeg

IMG_1582.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback. Yes we are constantly refining the game engines and all kinds of input are appreciated.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, grips03 said:

Nice find on the hill! That was our little bonus for the most ardent players who want to search everywhere.

Great feedback and you bring up a lot of good points. Most save tubes already have health farms adjacent to them, but not all of them do. I also agree that dodging the flames is pretty tricky in the factory, and in a future game we could have this sort of trap trigger on a cadence so the player could learn how to avoid the flame.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, grips03 said:

I don't enjoy so much is the factory area due to the lava / flames

Once you are within the flame's trigger range, it will fire after a random time interval. The safest way to avoid getting hurt is to stand close to it (you see the fire outlet on the ground), and wait until it has fired one time. Then you should try to get past it fast, because at this time it is less likely that it fires directly again.

• Like 1

Beat the game today.  Loved the end boss.  I'm at 99%, so I must have missed something.  I have 32 missiles.  Any ideas?  I did not create a log.  The amount of color in this game is amazing. 

For lab area I just always go to ball mode and then switch to kneel mode and it was much easier to get by. 

I used the ball to ceiling method to get past those spikes. 

Great game guys!!!

• Thanks 3

7 hours ago, grips03 said:

So there are 33 missiles in the game?

I don't remember the total number, but you may also have missed a x5 missile pack?

Spoiler

There is a x5 missile pack in the Factory area. Another one on an alternative (dead end) path in the Pipes area. To name a few...

The x1 missile upgrades are mainly in the lab area, only one outside, which you already found according to the pictures you posted.

Also make sure you have visited all rooms in the game (e.g. that all of them is filled on the map), this also adds to the completion status.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 3:01 AM, CyranoJ said:

I wasn't stopping them. I don't believe I have that power :)

You graced me with a Last Strike canvas, leaving me to do your bidding for life.

I hope you don't make Asteroite verboten, though. I didn't encounter any challenges that seemed unfair or overly daunting. Course, I'm a stuporstud who scored 2.6 mill on LS. Flexing the ol' gaming pipes!

• Confused 1

I am at 47% and I will eventually play it till the end.

I can see why people like this, it is an overall successful attempt to give the Jaguar a genuine Metroidvania game.

However, I feel that it lacks a bit of polish throughout: There is severe slowdown during the big boss battles (ice and slime monster), in larger rooms with lots of enemies it slows down and the graphics start to flicker erratically. 

The health/missile replenish causes some issues: as the eggs respawn everytime you reenter a room, you can exploit that ad infinitum. However in later rooms, they are completely removed, so you have to deal with infinetely respawning enemies, but you are stuck with no other option to regain health or missiles. Since the game requires heavy backtracking, with some floors being dead ends, this will be the inevitable end of your run. (And don't make the mistake to save that run ;-))

Iam sure this could have been fixed with some additional 2-3 months development. 

Nontheless, gg everyone!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks for the feedback! That's fair. There is definitely slowdown in a couple of spots; that's something I would want to address if I ever make a sequel. And yes, the exploration difficulty ramps up a lot in the last half of the game, with the factory and sewer areas being a lot more deadly and having fewer health spawn points.

Glad you are enjoying the game overall. I played the entire game multiple times during playtest, and really enjoyed it every time. Defeating that last boss is always satisfying. ;) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In my opinion, the SNES and Gameboy Advanced have the true Metroid games, then Nintendo lost it.

This game is so close to the true Metroid games, I doubt you can get any closer (not even Nintendo today)

Edited by bulken
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, agradeneu said:

Never heard of Metroid Dread?

Played through it (as I did with all Metroid games), but it's more of a 3D game locked to a 2D view.

That's why there are so many indie Metroid Dread demakes.

Edited by bulken

53 minutes ago, bulken said:

Played through it (as I did with all Metroid games), but it's more of a 3D game locked to a 2D view.

That's why there are so many indie Metroid Dread demakes.

It is a 2D game and the design follows the formula of old Metroids. It does not matter if the objects are pixels or polygons. 

Looking at the rave reviews the game got, I doubt Nintento had "lost" it. Even the remake of the 3D Metroid got glowing reactions. 

The demakes are fun "what if" scenarios, how it would look and play on NES or Game Boy,  if anything, they compliment Dread as an instant classic.  

It is not a form of criticism like you are trying to suggest, there are demakes of many beloved games. 

Look, I see why you try really hard to sell Asteroite, but one advice: keep it real and humble. ;-)

Edited by agradeneu
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, alucardX said:

I think Metroid Prime was true Metroid too. Not only true Metroid but the best one could possibly get in a transition to 3D. It was a truly elevated Metroid experience.

Yes, the Metroid Prime series I liked a lot for what it was. Very good FPS with adventure elements.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agradeneu said:

It is a 2D game and the design follows the formula of old Metroids. It does not matter if the objects are pixels or polygons. 

Looking at the rave reviews the game got, I doubt Nintento had "lost" it. Even the remake of the 3D Metroid got glowing reactions. 

The demakes are fun "what if" scenarios, how it would look and play on NES or Game Boy,  if anything, they compliment Dread as an instant classic.  

It is not a form of criticism like you are trying to suggest, there are demakes of many beloved games. 

Look, I see why you try really hard to sell Asteroite, but one advice: keep it real and humble. ;-)

I simply state that all Metriod games from NES to GBA used handdrawn pixelart and tilemap worlds.

Later Nintendo started using 3D graphics, maybe because it is a more feasable option to get arttists that are used to work with 3D graphics today?

In terms of cost and the artist's experience, it may be that they opted to not invest in handdrawn visuals? Maybe the Switch is also more powerful on 3D grahpics, I don't know?

It is a fact though that Metroid Dread does look different than the earler Metroid games that use handdrawn pixel art.

The music in Asteroite is also much more similar to the music in Super Metroid (compared to the music in Metroid Dread)

2 hours ago, bulken said:

In terms of cost and the artist's experience, it may be that they opted to not invest in handdrawn visuals? Maybe the Switch is also more powerful on 3D grahpics, I don't know?

Or just download free tile assets from itch.io, but don't care to credit artists work for this years Atari Awards?! 😛

Your rethorical question is nonsensical, The Switch can easily handle a simple tile based game aka GBA while making you coffee and doing the laundry in 1 cycle.

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 1