IGNORED

Asteroite pre-orders OPEN NOW

Songbird

Found a great spot to farm health. From save room go into left room, drop down slightly to right of center to floor. On the steps, wait for the eggplant thing to eject a spider. One hit it in midair, run up and grab the health then return to step and repeat.

If you kill the eggplant enter door on right, return and repeat.

• Like 2

Just finished playing for the night. Tried unsuccessfully many times to make a super long jump but landed in the goo every time. I must've missed an upgrade somewhere but will try again tomorrow. Got to 34%

Ugh, just realized I should've taken the high road..

Stopped posting spoilers here but blew up Discord with a ton of pics and info. Can't wait to see the rest of the game!

Spoiler

I have 3 missile containers and had actually forgotten about them until the warthog looking boss guarding the 3 way. Man, that one is hard to beat without being able to avoid his sprint attack. Seems like he's got armor too. My bullets were clanking off his body but the weakness was revealed fairly quickly..

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 7:33 AM, Editorb said:

Had crash last night, again when entering room. I'm at 5 percent, which I'm guessing refers to overall progress toward completion.

I discovered a surefire way to prevent crashes: Point cell phone at TV and start a video recording when entering a room.

Have you scrubbed your cart connector and slot? Having inconsistency like that seems like a connection issue.

31 minutes ago, JagChris said:

Have you scrubbed your cart connector and slot? Having inconsistency like that seems like a connection issue.

I have, although not since receiving Asteroite. I always cleaned all my carts and used deoxit-gold, but I don't clean/treat new carts.

I'm reckoning on swapping Jags soon (both K models) so I'll see if that makes a difference. It didn't with my B&B issues.

Thanks @Editorb for the video; that crash does look very similar to what other customers have seen.

I found out that one of my Jaguar units (a K model) will crash on the first save tube, but only when I first power on the Jaguar. So I can now directly reproduce the failure, but have to wait ~15 minutes between attempts. Progress... I think?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Songbird said:

Thanks @Editorb for the video; that crash does look very similar to what other customers have seen.

I found out that one of my Jaguar units (a K model) will crash on the first save tube, but only when I first power on the Jaguar. So I can now directly reproduce the failure, but have to wait ~15 minutes between attempts. Progress... I think?

Odd that you can see the video; it is a 0-second long white screen on desktop browser and iOS browser. Glad it (kind of) worked though!

I'm curious about the spider-spawning plants. Most are blastable but I've encountered some that act as part of the background art or something:

IMG_8488 copy.jpg

Edited by Editorb

Whew! Got to 61% before having to shut down for the week. I'm in some scary industrial zone with large mechanical enemies and ominous background noises. The sound when at least 2 of these enemies hit the floor right before exploding is spot on. Gives it the feel of turning them into a tin can a la B.O.B. from The Black Hole (1979) and is perfect imo. Found the 6th or 7th save location with the much appreciated attached room. Health and ammo was getting scarce and my last save left me making an incredibly long trek with almost no health. I've spent the last few hours memorizing enemy patterns and patiently retrying until I finally made it to my destination with only 2 hits from floor flames.

Currently sitting on 1 upgraded, full health and 20 missiles. Next try should be easier than the last few.

Excellent game.?

846844553_ast61.thumb.jpg.2dfbc6810a22e50444ac6b6b5e2fec74.jpg

• Like 2

Switched Jags; problem much worse. It crashed every single room load, the last of which didn’t show image corruption or go black; it just froze and music continued. (It will load first room while leaving save room; next room won’t load.) Decided to start new game to see if might help; collected two powerups and rooms loaded until I reached first save room, when black message box appeared on screen with no text. Music continued a while before entire screen blackened and music stopped.

I think I figgered the issue with cart seating; there is bit of room to move cart left and right despite it feeling like a much tighter fit than other carts. Moving it to right a bit allows boards to align. The mystery of how it can be both too tight and having room to move laterally makes me feel even insaner. I should call the Three Investigators.

I feel like a real jackowitz pooping on the release party. I’d much rather be crooning praises. I very much appreciate the patience with my incessant bleating!

Edited by Editorb

Well finally got to play and it's great! Love this game! Wish there were more like it. Played for a couple hours and got to 25%. No crashes on mine. My Jag's the M model. Plays well and is really challenging. Dang spiders. Little buggers are a pain. Rats aren't any better. Really glad I got this game.

• Like 2

I made it up to 91%.  I can confidently say this is a real Metroidvania, because I'm stuck as shit.  The only place I have left to go leads to a big vat of green acid with a spikey wall at the end.  I must have missed a powerup somewhere, but the rest of the map is totally filled in.  I plan to retread the entire map when I have time.

Question for Phoboz or Songbird: 

Spoiler

Is the suit powerup supposed to make me completely immune to liquid damage?  Or does it just reduce the damage from liquid?  I can't remember exactly what it said after I picked it up, and there have been a few places where I wanted to explore in the acid but it kills me pretty quickly, even after picking up the suit.

If there are multiple suits in the game, I'm referring to the one that is just past the ice boss.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, PFG 9000 said:

I made it up to 91%.  I can confidently say this is a real Metroidvania, because I'm stuck as shit.  The only place I have left to go leads to a big vat of green acid with a spikey wall at the end.  I must have missed a powerup somewhere, but the rest of the map is totally filled in.  I plan to retread the entire map when I have time.

Question for Phoboz or Songbird: 

Reveal hidden contents

Is the suit powerup supposed to make me completely immune to liquid damage?  Or does it just reduce the damage from liquid?  I can't remember exactly what it said after I picked it up, and there have been a few places where I wanted to explore in the acid but it kills me pretty quickly, even after picking up the suit.

If there are multiple suits in the game, I'm referring to the one that is just past the ice boss.

Congratulations!

Spoiler

There is only one suite upgrade, and it won't make you completely immune to liquids.

Think about if you have really collected all skill upgrades, because this barrier has been really beefed up (with deadly spikes, and acid) to prevent people from breaking the sequence.

Maybe you forgot something, or failed to see it in a place you already visited?

Each path in the game (that is longer than one room) has a reward...

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got to 89%. Have 2 areas that appear to lead to nowhere and contain nothing special. They're more like death traps, but other than that, unable to proceed. There's a long jump with one-hit-death spikes so not sure what to do from here. Will try again tomorrow.?

161012598_ast89.thumb.jpg.e6cd7a0b7dfdf2b91953658f3da5bb22.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice to see people making progress! While there are a couple of paths you can travel in the game, make sure you aren't missing key powerups.

Spoiler

It's also possible you may have explored an area without defeating a mini-boss, as not all boss fights are placed linearly in front of you...

• Thanks 2

I finished it!  Asteroite was a really enjoyable experience.  I love Metroidvanias, and I love the Jaguar, so it's a match made in Heaven for me.  I was impressed by the variety of abilities and bosses.  I was expecting something fairly barebones due to the homebrew nature of this, but I was pleasantly surprised at the end product.

The only bug I came across was a graphical glitch during the ending screens.  I think there was supposed to be some graphics displayed with the text, but I just saw some digital noise behind the text.  I took a photo, but I don't want to risk spoiling the ending for anybody.  No biggie, and it didn't ruin the experience - I'm just reporting it here since there's been some talk of problematic behavior from some others here.

I have the model M Jag.

Screenshot_20220412-102833_Gallery.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PFG 9000 said:

I finished it!  Asteroite was a really enjoyable experience.  I love Metroidvanias, and I love the Jaguar, so it's a match made in Heaven for me.  I was impressed by the variety of abilities and bosses.  I was expecting something fairly barebones due to the homebrew nature of this, but I was pleasantly surprised at the end product.

The only bug I came across was a graphical glitch during the ending screens.  I think there was supposed to be some graphics displayed with the text, but I just saw some digital noise behind the text.  I took a photo, but I don't want to risk spoiling the ending for anybody.  No biggie, and it didn't ruin the experience - I'm just reporting it here since there's been some talk of problematic behavior from some others here.

I have the model M Jag.

Screenshot_20220412-102833_Gallery.jpg

Congratulations, well done!

You are the first person that have shown in public that you reached a 100% completion score.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1