IGNORED

AtGames 2022 Speculation Thread

I ordered one from the same place John Hancock did, just to see what happens.  Not sure why they have them still in stock, but they do.  I ordered it on Monday (Nov-28th) and it just cleared customs this morning (Dec 3rd) coming from UAE to the US.  Supposed to be here in a few days... so far so good.  We shall see. :)

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 7:46 PM, rocketfan said:

If you are in Australia, you can pick one up at the local K-mart store.  They had them for black Friday.  $129 Australian seems like it's $87 or so USD.  Kind of high for a black Friday deal on these.

image.thumb.png.0a1e695d76042a69e03da3d5ab6cae1e.png

If you want the true retro 1977 experience, you absolutely have to get your new 50th anniversary VCS at K-Mart!

• Like 2

My Flashback Gold arrived safely today... shipped from UAE to the southern USA in 8 working days.  Sometimes shipping within my state takes that long.  Excellent.

I haven't played it yet, but I have tested the unit, paddles and joystick. Everything is fine.

Glad to add this one to the AtGames Tower of Shame.

AtGames_Tower of Shame.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/8/2022 at 4:12 PM, MrBlackCat said:

AtGames Tower of Shame

I thought I was the flashback record holder, but that's impressive.  I do own a couple X's, a 9, and a few Legends Flashbacks.  I also have a Flashback 2 I'd like to do the cartridge mod on someday.  I recently picked up a used portable 70 games atGames unit - I really like playing Subterranea on it!

I envy the Colecovision and Intellivision units.  Those were sold before I got back into retro gaming, and frankly a little before retro gaming was such a big fad.  They might sell better if they re-introduced more mini/HDMI versions of those now.

The listing is now up on Amazon, though not clear that they are in stock:

https://www.amazon.com/Flashback-Anniversary-Controllers-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B0BGYD6GM9

10 hours ago, rocketfan said:

I thought I was the flashback record holder, but that's impressive.  I do own a couple X's, a 9, and a few Legends Flashbacks.  I also have a Flashback 2 I'd like to do the cartridge mod on someday.  I recently picked up a used portable 70 games atGames unit - I really like playing Subterranea on it!

I envy the Colecovision and Intellivision units.  Those were sold before I got back into retro gaming, and frankly a little before retro gaming was such a big fad.  They might sell better if they re-introduced more mini/HDMI versions of those now.

The listing is now up on Amazon, though not clear that they are in stock:

https://www.amazon.com/Flashback-Anniversary-Controllers-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B0BGYD6GM9

This forum isn't so active anymore relative to FlashBacks, but I am guessing there are many persons who have most or all.  My wife actually bought me the original Flashback from WalGreens after I looked at it too long.  Around this time I discovered Atari Age forums.  After learning about what it was a bit, the exceptionally cute (for the time) FlashBack 2 came out and it was just on for me.  Then the Handhelds... I love all types of gaming.  I honestly don't play them for long periods like I do modern systems, but I play them weekly since they came out.  Because I am busy, I built this cabinet as a GameBoy Color to house them...

I am SO glad I jumped on the Coleco and Intellivision units!  At first I saw them as just "the way" the mini console market would go, but slowly my view changed to "what if this is a dead branch" and pre-ordered both.  From then on, I buy them every year they were offered.  I am not really a "collector" and don't have or care to have every variant.

The Amazon listing seems sketchy... if you really want one, as stated above, the source in Dubai shipped really fast.

I do my best with cable management, so here was my solution for keeping the Flashbacks accessible... because many of the systems overlap in games, I don't keep every model available here.

GameBox FlashBack_Closed.jpg

GameBox FlashBack_Open.jpg

GameBox FlashBack_Close.jpg

• Like 4

That's even more impressive!  Looks like you have a Legends Ultimate there also.

Will see if they get in stock on Amazon soon.  I'm still hoping Sam's Club or another retailer carries them soon.  The Amazon page says something like "Won't arrive in time for Christmas", so I'm not feeling optimistic.  I have still seen a few atGames "core gamer" puck units in Sam's club recently, which makes me think they still are working with atGames.  Although they had them stashed over by where the consumer electronics were at, instead of by the Christmas stuff and toys - which is practically like hiding them.  

• 2 weeks later...

The Amazon posting now says "Don't know when or if this will be back in stock".  Ouch!  Wonder what the heck is going on - somehow they are building and selling products like the A500 mini even with parts shortages and such...

Looking around I see another one on Craigslist:

https://blacksburg.craigslist.org/ele/d/austinville-atari-flashback-50th/7569962590.html

$45 for that one, which is a steal in case you are passing through Virginia!

6 hours ago, Atariboy said:

I imagine much of the apparent lack of supply is simply due to AtGames alienating most retailers that once did business with them, with consequently little demand for their newer products and small production runs as a result.

I was not aware of this...

The idea of this does not surprise me as their services seem to be in decline relative to the AtGame Legends. I was originally really impressed how much effort was put into updates that fixed bugs and added features. BUT...  I was suddenly unable to log into the REQUIRED AtGames servers a while back without any changes on my end.  So far I have only gotten redirects and ultimately no response from tech support.  The internet dependency of the advanced features of the Legends series will likely be its downfall.  Since then, I no longer support or recommend these units unless someone wants to just play a couple of arcade games and some Atari games in a nostalgic like package.  All I see is "Product Lifecycle" written all over this.  I would NEVER have bought such a unit based on its stock configuration.  But it is what it is.

Just in case anyones first reaction is lost passwords or ID issues etc, it isn't.  I can log into my online account just fine and see my ID, successfully change my account password etc.  My Legends account page is where I have wasted time trying to get tech support.

From now own I will trust my instincts and stick to non-subscription based systems... I do have a resistance to supporting AtGames through their other products like the Flashback series now.  Logically I doubt it really matters in the scope of things or I would not have bought the 50th Flashback Gold... and the Flashback units don't have a Product Lifetime based on an improbably successful internet service.

MrBlackCat

The retail thing is true only in the sense that no retailers want to touch plug and plays from anyone anymore. That market is dead at retail. The home arcade stuff is where it's at for now. To me, that's understandable, as you can get the same type of nostalgia fix on the platforms everyone already owns, including mobile, so there's no compelling reason for a dedicated plug and play device. The arcade stuff is more compelling because of the custom controls and different type of presentation made possible by the various form factors.

Bill,
Sorry if you already answered this question in other threads of this forum...
Can you tell me if the Atari Flashback Gold Console 50th Anniversary Edition has the same Innards (i.e. USB, processer, OS, etc.) as the previous model?

I'd only be interested in the system if it can run the latest version of Stella...making it capable of playing all 2600 games.

Thanks,
Stephen

Edited by StephenJ

3 minutes ago, StephenJ said:

Bill,
Sorry if you already answered this question in other threads of this forum...
Can you tell me if the Atari Flashback Gold Console 50th Anniversary Edition has the same Innards (i.e. USB, processer, OS, etc.) as the previous model?

I'd only be interested in the system if it can run the latest version of Stella...making it capable of playing all 2600 games.

Thanks,
Stephen

I don't work for AtGames anymore and had no insight into that before I left. My assumption would be it's basically the same.

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2022 at 3:12 PM, MrBlackCat said:

My Flashback Gold arrived safely today... shipped from UAE to the southern USA in 8 working days.  Sometimes shipping within my state takes that long.  Excellent.

I haven't played it yet, but I have tested the unit, paddles and joystick. Everything is fine.

Glad to add this one to the AtGames Tower of Shame.

AtGames_Tower of Shame.jpg

The first 2+ Atari Flashbacks were by Curt Vendel (RIP) and Marty Goldberg of Legacy Engineering, not AtGames!

😎

My collection...

Atari Flashback (2004)
Atari Flashback 2 (2005)
Atari Flashback 2+ (2010)

AtGames

Atari Flashback 3 (2011)
Atari Flashback 4: 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (2012)
Atari Flashback 4 (2012) Millipede
Intellivision Flashback (2014)
ColecoVision Flashback (2014)
Atari Flashback 5 (2014)
Atari Flashback 6 (2015)
Atari Flashback: Portable (2016)
Atari Flashback 8: Gold Activision Edition (2017)
Atari Flashback: Portable (2017)
Atari Flashback: Portable (2018)
Atari Flashback 9 (2018) Family Dollar standard definition edition with SD card slot
Atari Flashback 9: Gold (2018)
Atari Flashback: Portable (2019)
Atari Flashback X: Deluxe (2019)
Legends Flashback: Deluxe (2019)

Jakks Pacific

Namco Arcade Classics (2003)
Atari TV Game (2003)
Atari Paddle (2004)
Activision (2004)
Ms. Pac-Man Plug & Play Super Value Gamekey Mega Pack (2005)
Capcom 3-in-1 (2005)
Super Pac-Man Collection (2006)
Retro Arcade featuring Pac-Man (2008)
The Price Is Right (2009)
Retro Arcade featuring Space Invaders (2011)

Techno Source

Intellivision 10 (2003)
Intellivision 10 2nd Edition (2005)
Activision (2006)

Radica Space Invaders (2004)
Mammoth Toys C64 Direct-to-TV (2004)
Konami Collector's Series: Majesco's TV Arcade Advanced (2004)
Bandai Namco Pac-Man Connect & Play (2012)
NES Classic Edition (2016)
Basic Fun! Atari 2600 Plug & Play Joystick (2017)
Arcade1up Pac-Man Collection (2020)
Edited by TrekkiELO
  • Like 1

Good to see they are finally available in the US... unfortunate they are late this year.  Several times over the years, I enjoyed getting them before Thanksgiving to enjoy other the holidays in the US.  I will miss these FlashBacks as these stand alone units are the best thing about AtGames at this point with the Arcade Legends series life cycle kind of being on the downhill side now.

45 minutes ago, FaberfoX said:

The 50th Anniversary edition is now on Amazon, at $59.99 for the standard with 110 games, and at $82.99 for the gold one with a set of paddles and 130 games.

71YTjjEX61L._SL1500_.jpg619Q-qPaNxL._SL1500_.jpg

It's $69.99 - not $59.00 - for the basic edition.

$10 less than the Montgomery Wards listing at $79.99

https://www.wards.com/p/atari-flashback-50th-anniversary-edition-798906.html?cgid=atari#start=1

I'm going to wait on purchasing both of these.  I'm sure in time they will be discounted and will come down to a bargain price. Patience.

1 hour ago, FaberfoX said:

The 50th Anniversary edition is now on Amazon, at $59.99 for the standard with 110 games, and at $82.99 for the gold one with a set of paddles and 130 games.

71YTjjEX61L._SL1500_.jpg619Q-qPaNxL._SL1500_.jpg

48 minutes ago, timdu said:

https://www.wards.com/p/atari-flashback-50th-anniversary-edition-798906.html?cgid=atari#start=1

I'm going to wait on purchasing both of these.  I'm sure in time they will be discounted and will come down to a bargain price. Patience.

Newegg has the Atari Flashback Gold Console 50th Anniversary Edition for $79.99 plus free shipping 

https://www.newegg.com/p/2CT-0005-00062?Item=9SIBG5KJCC3792

Edited by TrekkiELO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, timdu said:

You're right, my mistake and can't edit it now :(

It's $59.99 at Newegg for the basic edition, I jumped the gun and got the Gold at Amazon already, didn't think to check newegg

https://www.newegg.com/p/2CT-0005-00061?Item=9SIBG5KJCC3778

I wouldn't wait too long, these have a history of selling out fast and scalpers love them...

Edited by FaberfoX

6 hours ago, Cilantro55 said:

I have a Flashback 2 and 9 Gold.

I am tempted to get the new one... I'm not sure if it's worth it (based on having the two that I have), though it seems like it will be the last one...

I would say get it.  :)  Just because the line is coming to an end and their resale value is pretty good for the last few versions should you decide you don't want it.  I don't have that many total hours on mine honestly, but I have never had one fail.

MrBlackCat

8 hours ago, Cilantro55 said:

I have a Flashback 2 and 9 Gold.

I am tempted to get the new one... I'm not sure if it's worth it (based on having the two that I have), though it seems like it will be the last one...

Just get it for the looks, I have a 1, a 2+ and an X and the X (that looks like this one) is the cutest thing ever. I've got most other minis released so far and none beats this one on looks. I hope for the release of a Vader looking one, it's the only one that could be better looking imho.