28.50 45.68 56.44 130.62

20220718_001508.thumb.jpg.7987f46100fb80bf44f70a521d813724.jpg

Kik-Start (Race B):

41.72 42.54 40.46 124.72

20220718_001750.thumb.jpg.a5a7a02d630e37a8370795726d961581.jpg

Kik-Start (Race C):

40.72 40.26 43.42 124.40

20220718_002326.thumb.jpg.313e58759eac7c1666ba82cc863ce2a6.jpg

At least I'm improving to the point of getting on the top 5 board now... still need to run Race D...

Edited by graywest
  • Like 2

Preppie! challenge.

Highest score so far on first two levels using only one man=1750.

Also scored a 1690, but that was with a sketchy joystick that wouldn't go up sometimes.

Preppie highest score yet again is 11,100. Level 6.

Those alligator tails keep getting me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, therealbountybob said:

Rounders is not a big thing here but cricket is: not sure we need an 8bit atari game of it though! 

How do you guys manage to steal bases on slb? I get caught every time I try.  

You can steal when the pitcher throws a very slow pitch. If it's a fast or medium pitch, then always return to the base. But if you leave at the first possible moment and the pitch is slow you can just keep going. It looks like you'll be out, but you won't. You just sort of turn the corner.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Rounders is not a big thing here but cricket is: not sure we need an 8bit atari game of it though!

Here is cricket on the A8: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-atari-cricket_27887.html

Commercially though, I believe the correct answer is "the Atari 8-bit never had enough of a market in the UK to warrant a cricket game". In the time period 1983-88, Mobygames lists nearly a dozen games for various 8-bit computers but nothing for the Atari.

Game Amstrad CPC ZX Spectrum Electron BBC Micro C64 Other
Test Match + One Day Cricket * * * - - -
Ian Botham's Test Match * * * * * C16 & Plus/4
Tim Love's Cricket * - - - * Dragon 32/64
Graham Gooch's Test Cricket * * * * * Amstrad PCW, C128
Cricket Master * * - - * -
Cricket 64 - - - - * -
Country Cricket - - - - * -
Cricket Crazy - * - - * -
Howzat! - * - - - -

Whether any of those would be worthwhile to port to A8 is another matter.

• Like 3

Preppie: 13850

Topper:  22575

BMX:  23.8  40.4  (as left racer)

Could not finish 3rd race in BMX.  Fun game though.  And Topper, as I think I mentioned earlier, I got to where there was another enemy on screen but they never moved so I just died LOL

Topper.jpg

BMX2.jpg

BMX1.jpg

Preppie!.jpg

Edited by 8BIT 1337
added "(as left racer)"
  • Like 4

On 7/16/2022 at 7:05 AM, therealbountybob said:

BMS Sim improvements

Rider 1 - 3,155 (round 6)

Rider 2 - 2,555 (round 5)

Wait, was I supposed to see a score?  As I said above I could only get through first 2 races so far (as left player I should have mentioned - I'll go back and edit).  But when i ttok the pics obviously I just saw times.  I don't remember scores (although I did those a week or so back, and just hadn't posted the pics yet)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, carlsson said:

BMX Simulator posts current score at the end of each level, and final score at game over. But it scrolls by quite fast. Fortunately the overall high score then is displayed on the title screen. However it doesn't separate player 1 and 2.

Looks like I'll be playing again then ?

• Like 1

Ok, time for my Kik-Start scores.

I remember this game from my teens, but I don't recall playing it a lot.  It is obviously a frustrating one at times, although I did feel the longer I played the better I was getting.  What bothered me most was 'falling' on flat bricks.  I mean really? 

Anyway:

Race A 144.92

Race B 133.98

Race C 133.82

Race D 82.06+113.98+152.66 = 348.7

I managed a 16.78 and a 16.70 on track 1 during race D, whereas it was a 31.60 on my abysmmal race A score.  I've just determined I don't like the game quite enough to go back and retry any of them, although now that I see I almost halved my score after practicing a little I'm almost tempted.  ALMOST :)

As an aside I found the practice course useless.  I wanted to play around with that brick consarnit!

Pics available upon request, but I figure 6 of them here is a bit much ?

Edited by 8BIT 1337
Grammer
  • Like 1

OK, I played Skate Crazy and Skateboard.

Skate Crazy I got through the first level, so my score is 1000.  And that's it.  Would be interesting to see the code behind it, but not great.

Skateboard I did play on my NTSC machine, and got to level 3, 48 points.  It flickers constantly on NTSC (obviously) but you can play it.  Just not if you're susceptible to seizures ?

I'll try that one again on an emulator at some point as it was fun.  I just wanted to play on real hardware this morning so I thought I'd see what it did :)

Edited by 8BIT 1337
Fixed game names :)
  • Like 1

BMX Simulator - Player 1: 1540 pts (track 3), Player 2: 1450 pts (track 4)

Best times per track and player:

Track 1: Player 1 25.8 Player 2 26.9
Track 2: Player 1 40.0 Player 2 44.0
Track 3: Player 1 n/a Player 2 43.2

Preppie! - 8600 pts, level 6

Star League Baseball - lost 1-29 (so a slight improvement from previous game)

Topper - 38220 pts, level D013

bmx-simulator-1540.thumb.jpg.9ee4364cffca6f80d85ac84c7fc6e6fd.jpg

preppie-8600.thumb.jpg.c3cab6c91104a49a1a5bfc90dfc557bf.jpg

star-league-baseball-1-29.thumb.jpg.db8b91a503ca4555528d29382dc7fd44.jpg

topper-38220.thumb.jpg.e438059deeb0cb5bd9b1c9bdf2f89b49.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Still here just lacking Atari time, try and rectify that in this final week of play.

Mimo do you want to pick 5-7 games for the next poll? If so please post here soon!

I figure that's the reason for the month long challenge in general - most of us have holidays or whatnot so Atari time is more limited than say the winter, where I'm home all the time :)

Improvement on Skateboard:  1630, level 5.  Much easier to play on a PAL emulator.  And now I realize my previous score must have been 480, I just couldn't see that 0 ?

On a side note it's heartbreaking to see the Jays getting hammered by the Tigers like this!  Happily they were the ones doing the hammering of the Red Sox last weekend.

Skateboard.png

• Like 2

On 7/6/2022 at 12:46 AM, graywest said:

Star League Baseball is an all-time favorite of mine. Good memories of playing this one with my dad when I was young. This updated version is very cool. Also, if anyone wants a SERIOUS challenge, set the computer team to "Heat - Sluggers" and yourself to "Curves - Liners" and try to win a game. ?

Challenge accepted - and accomplished!  Gave up a solo homer in the 3rd but that was it.  Scored my last run on a solo homer (Liners hit homers too!), but the other two was due to aggressive baserunning.  3-1 win.

My dad never played this against me as I would have destroyed him pretty easily.  ?

(For Xmas one year he bought me Defender for the VCS but played it for a couple of months first, so that he could beat me when I finally opened it.  It was the only game he ever beat me at!)

SLB Hard.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, 8BIT 1337 said:

Challenge accepted - and accomplished!  Gave up a solo homer in the 3rd but that was it.  Scored my last run on a solo homer (Liners hit homers too!), but the other two was due to aggressive baserunning.  3-1 win.

WOW!! Seriously impressive - I bow before you! ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2022 at 5:18 PM, therealbountybob said:

Still here just lacking Atari time, try and rectify that in this final week of play.

Mimo do you want to pick 5-7 games for the next poll? If so please post here soon!

Same here.  But I'm on vacation for the rest of the week, so I'm planning on getting in some playing time while I'm home.  :)

• Like 1

BMX Simulator updated with actual scores this time:

Player 1:  1410 (course 3)

Player 2:  1828 (course 4)

It drives me *crazy* that if you happen to hit the other player you are always the one that crashes.  It also drives me crazy that after you crash you're facing backwards - I guess to make sure you can always back out of an obstacle, but it still bugs me LOL

I think I've now played everything at least once, so it's time to go back and replay for better scores if/when I have time the rest of the week :)

)1720063371_BMXP1.thumb.jpg.18451503d762796e2f522d5f84f4c926.jpg1379228265_BMXP2.thumb.jpg.34cad43d677d38bcc146e5d775d6d203.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/18/2022 at 5:23 PM, littleman jack said:

You can steal when the pitcher throws a very slow pitch. If it's a fast or medium pitch, then always return to the base. But if you leave at the first possible moment and the pitch is slow you can just keep going. It looks like you'll be out, but you won't. You just sort of turn the corner.

I start by inching a couple clicks off the base and wait there.  The pitcher will ignore you.  Then I try to time my run to take off right before he pitches the ball.  If take off early, he'll throw to first base.  Once the first baseman throws to second, I'll return to first.  I'll keep doing this until I time it just right.  Once I time it right, the only way I'll get thrown out at 2nd is if the pitcher throws a fastball.  I'll try to shoot a little video, because showing is always better then explaining.  :)

TRBB:  I think you may have missed my 16-3 post for SLB.  See post #10.  ;)

Edited by Deteacher
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Deteacher said:

I start by inching a couple clicks off the base and wait there.  The pitcher will ignore you.  Then I try to time my run to take off right before he pitches the ball.  If take off early, he'll throw to first base.  Once the first baseman throws to second, I'll return to first.  I'll keep doing this until I time it just right.  Once I time it right, the only way I'll get thrown out at 2nd is if the pitcher throws a fastball.  I'll try to shoot a little video, because showing is always better then explaining.  :)

This is exactly how I do it as well.  If you get enough of a jump the computer throws to second right away instead of first, but Deteacher has explained it well IMO.  You can also bail if you don't think you timed it quite right, as the computer never runs after you.

(this is *much* more fun with a second human player, who might try to run/throw back to catch you in a run down :) )

One tip my friend gave was that all fly balls only go to like 3 spots in the outfield.  He used to mark them with dust or something so that he'd know where to go when the ball was hit in the air.  I haven't ever used that, but the pattern is there if you look for it.

Edited by 8BIT 1337
  • Like 3