IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

57 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Amico Home might be a way to circumvent owing money per game sale. It is why you won't see this on iPhone. Iirc Epic Games had issues with Aplle because they wanted a cut of each game sold or something.

Releasing directly would make more sense, if they didn't have a proposed console they still have people's money for. That's why if they get the app released I will be interested to hear/read the fine print.

Now in other news, Atari will soon own the code for Amico Night Stalker and Amico Cloudy. 🤣

So much winning @Tommy Tallarico

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2023/10/31/2769851/0/en/Atari-enters-into-an-agreement-to-acquire-Digital-Eclipse.html

Yeah but,  "They're not in retail,..We Are!"

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Yeah but,  "They're not in retail,..We Are!"

I know! I was amazed at all the Amico Home signs at Target. They had an exclusive GTO Red download code for the playstore. That old Atari company isn't going to beat them. They can't get anything in retail!!!!1!!!1

Screenshot_20231031_123117_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8dad2020035e5fd88b12c58f60f8570a.jpg

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Amico Home might be a way to circumvent owing money per game sale. It is why you won't see this on iPhone. Iirc Epic Games had issues with Aplle because they wanted a cut of each game sold or something.

You might be onto something there. Or maybe Intellivision knows they can get away with more hinky stuff on the Play store than the App Store. 

I think there are ways around the 30% IAP fees though. When I supported a Farsight Pinball Arcade kickstarter, they tied the promotional items to my Farsight account via email address, so when I loaded it up on iOS, my purchases carried over. That was like 10 years ago though, and maybe they don't have loopholes like that. The Amico Home app would have to be a "reader" app like Kindle or Netflix where you have an external account that gains access to purchases made elsewhere. The fact that Apple won't let Microsoft do that for Game Pass suggests Amico Home probably doesn't play well in their rules. 

That's OK, it just means we will be able to count the downloads of Amico Home in Google Play without having to assume people are downloading on a different platform. We all saw how the free Amico Club app only got like 5 thousand downloads despite being free to all for years. Maybe they should have called it something more enticing like "Tommy Tallarico's Musky Taint" to bring in a new underserved set of fans. 
image.thumb.png.8e04fe0002727197eeee6c95091cc846.png

6 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

I know! I was amazed at all the Amico Home signs at Target. They had an exclusive GTO Red download code for the playstore. That old Atari company isn't going to beat them. They can't get anything in retail!!!!1!!!1

Screenshot_20231031_123117_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8dad2020035e5fd88b12c58f60f8570a.jpg

Costco has that for $80. 2 controllers (paddles onboard!) and 200 games. Not bad! 

What's the score now? I know about Atari VCS, Atari 2600+, and Atari Gamestation Pro 200. Are there others? Even with just those, it's Atari 3, Intellivision 0. 

I seem to remember some eccentric toy collector talking about how he was going to "kick their ass before they got to the starting line." 

• Haha 8

34 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

What's the score now? I know about Atari VCS, Atari 2600+, and Atari Gamestation Pro 200. Are there others? Even with just those, it's Atari 3, Intellivision 0. 

I know it's not hardware, but with Atari having already acquired the M Network catalog and now Digital Eclipse, it's fair to say...

The Simpsons Stop GIF - The Simpsons Stop Hes Already Dead ...

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

You might be onto something there. Or maybe Intellivision knows they can get away with more hinky stuff on the Play store than the App Store. 

I think there are ways around the 30% IAP fees though. When I supported a Farsight Pinball Arcade kickstarter, they tied the promotional items to my Farsight account via email address, so when I loaded it up on iOS, my purchases carried over. That was like 10 years ago though, and maybe they don't have loopholes like that. The Amico Home app would have to be a "reader" app like Kindle or Netflix where you have an external account that gains access to purchases made elsewhere. The fact that Apple won't let Microsoft do that for Game Pass suggests Amico Home probably doesn't play well in their rules. 

That's OK, it just means we will be able to count the downloads of Amico Home in Google Play without having to assume people are downloading on a different platform. We all saw how the free Amico Club app only got like 5 thousand downloads despite being free to all for years. Maybe they should have called it something more enticing like "Tommy Tallarico's Musky Taint" to bring in a new underserved set of fans. 
image.thumb.png.8e04fe0002727197eeee6c95091cc846.png

Costco has that for $80. 2 controllers (paddles onboard!) and 200 games. Not bad! 

I seem to remember some eccentric toy collector talking about how he was going to "kick their ass before they got to the starting line." 

Yeah remember when he ignored some advice from some random guy that works at Analogue. They totally don't make hardware there.

38 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I know it's not hardware, but with Atari having already acquired the M Network catalog and now Digital Eclipse, it's fair to say...

The Simpsons Stop GIF - The Simpsons Stop Hes Already Dead ...

Animated GIF

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

I think we need to be careful… it’s been like a month since some random CHUD shows up to lecture us on Amico and how it’ll save us all!

To be fair, the next one will have to be a real champion at the art of persuasion to explain to us how great Amico games and Amico Home are.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hwlngmad said:

Here's some food for thought courtesy of the No Swear Gamer

I'd say he's wrong. There's nothing they have left I can think of that's worth buying. If they want to buy something unnecessary, they should start with BBG Entertainment. Atari already has a back door into all the Intellivision properties - more specifically the gameplay concepts since the IP is of low value - through their prior acquisition of the M Network stuff. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I'd say he's wrong. There's nothing they have left I can think of that's worth buying. If they want to buy something unnecessary, they should start with BBG Entertainment. Atari already has a back door into all the Intellivision properties - more specifically the gameplay concepts since the IP is of low value - through their prior acquisition of the M Network stuff. 

Yeah, you probably are correct.  There really is no need for Atari to acquire their stuff as the seemingly have lots of other IP to play with now (including the M Network which is Intellivision-lite).  Still, to quote dear 'ole TT, "Wouldn't that be something!".

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Well put. The M Network purchase has them covered for most anything worth while. As you also mentioned, BBG would be the better spend for them if they wanted to do something like that. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

The only reason to buy Intellivision is for THE FLEX. And, “real” CEOs and companies have no need to do that. So, I’m hopeful Wade won’t do it. There’s nothing worth buying at this point.

Yeah, they've already got the most relevant part of Intellivision in the form of M Network.

I suppose if the rest of the IP were going for a song in a bankruptcy auction, Atari might put in a bit for it. That seems to be how they picked up the games from Ronimo, at any rate.

I just don't see them wanting to take on a company that's known to be millions of dollars in debt and with no meaningful product, and literally nobody is going to bankroll the Amico back to life at this point.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Not exactly a back door to those properties.  Game concepts aren't copyright protected, audio visuals can be.  The audio visuals are mostly different in the M Network versions, as are many of the title names.  For example Amico Night Stalker uses the maze from the Intellivision version but that can be changed,  I don't see Amico Cloudy Mountain infringing Intellivision AD&D.

BBG does have Boulder Dash.  Atari SA should go for the Imagic Atari 2600 games, or start by getting Atari Battlezone back.

42 minutes ago, mr_me said:

BBG does have Boulder Dash.  Atari SA should go for the Imagic Atari 2600 games, or start by getting Atari Battlezone back.

We'll have to see what Microsoft does with the Imagic stuff now that they own Activision. That might take a year or two before the dust settles on that. The Battlezone thing is certainly intriguing if the price is right (the last major release for the IP was 2018), but they do have Combat and Armor Ambush, so they may not REALLY need it.

I think they should take the Night Stalker demo finish it call it Dark Cavern and include a quote of how Tommy was going to beat Atari in the credits.

I hope Atari plans on actually making games for the IPs they are buying. They don't need to pull a Tommy who bought licenses and didn't have active development.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

They're doing Berzerk: Recharged, so that's something.

Realistically though, at the rate of a handful of games per year, most of their acquisitions aren't going to get remade.

I'd like to see the M Network games get the Atari 50 treatment though and, along with the games they picked up from Stern and ones that were left out, that should have the makings of another 100 game compilation or DLC package.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Matt_B said:

They're doing Berzerk: Recharged, so that's something.

Berzerk is one of my favorite games and I even ordered the enhanced cartridge version from Atari for the Atari 2600. Berzerk: Recharged looks to be nothing more than a hectic twin-stick shooter, more Smash TV than Berzerk or Frenzy. Berzerk/Frenzy has gameplay that's slower-paced and more deliberate, not non-stop run-and-gun. /rant

• Like 1