IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

6 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

You just answered your own question. Atari fans wanted the VCS and not any mini PC because it has an Atari logo, basically. I'm not denying a lot of them have fun with it now (as they probably would with a mini PC), but there was no way to be sure before getting it.

I agree. BUT it released, and did do some of what it set out to do, even if it doesn't do it well. Let us ne honest about the Amico. A majority of the people who wanted it around here just cared about the name. They didn't care about it being a simple family console. If they did they would have known the Switch was already doing that and questioned that aspect of Amico more.

I get being a fan of stuff and wanting it to do well. Then there's throwing away sanity to the point you think a Converse shoebox is a prototype.

I mean Amico is so far gone have any of the diehard Amicolytes like mrme and company asked why Farkle, BackTalk, and Skiing aren't on the roadmap? They were suppose to be pack-ins ready almost 4 years ago? My guess is they weren't done or they didn't pay. They want to talk about POSITIVITY only and ignored that most of them participated in toxic stupidity. And that's coming from a guy who acts like a hyperbolic silly idiot on the internet. So, they dumb.

Now time to make my morning Amico.

Oh and go Cheifs! 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I agree. BUT it released, and did do some of what it set out to do, even if it doesn't do it well. Let us ne honest about the Amico. A majority of the people who wanted it around here just cared about the name. They didn't care about it being a simple family console. If they did they would have known the Switch was already doing that and questioned that aspect of Amico more.

I was excited about it because it was supposed to have --- checks notes --- every game franchise in the history of forever or something like that.

10 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Oh and go Cheifs! 

If they go, wouldn't the other team win by default?  

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

I was excited about it because it was supposed to have --- checks notes --- every game franchise in the history of forever or something like that.

If they go, wouldn't the other team win by default?  

Well much like Intellivision, it isn't looking good for the Chiefs.

I wonder how much money was blown on licenses that didn't have any actual active game development? I mean even two of the IPs they owned (Cloudy and Nightstalker) weren't ever more than a demo. They weren't actively paying to have those made, yet they bought the rights to make all those other games?!

This might be something that @nurmix could comment on after his NDA is up (sometime this year iirc).

Didn't Mike Kennedy do something similar where he sent an email and stretched that into, "We are in talks"? 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

This might be something that @nurmix could comment on after his NDA is up (sometime this year iirc).

Didn't Mike Kennedy do something similar where he sent an email and stretched that into, "We are in talks"? 

didn't nurmix already say there's really nothing to tell?   Maybe that was on a specific topic and I just took it as a general "no gossip and drama from me" kind of statement.

No idea about the Mike Kennedy thing, here.  I'm not sure how since I've been on AA for a lot of years, but I completely missed that apparent shitshow entirely. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

I wonder how much money was blown on licenses that didn't have any actual active game development? I mean even two of the IPs they owned (Cloudy and Nightstalker) weren't ever more than a demo. They weren't actively paying to have those made, yet they bought the rights to make all those other games?!

You are assuming there actually were licensing deals.  I've been reading the old AtariAge Q&A threads as well as your Independent Discussion thread and in hindsight, nothing Tommy Tallerico said seems to be true.  I'd be shocked if they had any actual licenses. 

Let us not forget in Tommy's own words it is impossible to play any of the Amico games on any other system.

image_2024-02-11_220738688.png

Edited by rayik
Link did not work, so snipped in quote
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

didn't nurmix already say there's really nothing to tell?   Maybe that was on a specific topic and I just took it as a general "no gossip and drama from me" kind of statement.

No idea about the Mike Kennedy thing, here.  I'm not sure how since I've been on AA for a lot of years, but I completely missed that apparent shitshow entirely. 

4 minutes ago, rayik said:

You are assuming there actually were licensing deals.  I've been reading the old AtariAge Q&A threads as well as your Independent Discussion thread and in hindsight, nothing Tommy Tallerico said seems to be true.  I'd be shocked if they had any actual licenses. 

Let us not forget in Tommy's own words it is impossible to play any of the Amico games on any other system.

image_2024-02-11_220738688.png

I kind of took it as he didn't want to talk drama. Them blowing money on licenses isn't necessarily what I would call drama and more in lines with just bad business decisions.

Screenshot_20240211_215608_Chrome.thumb.jpg.160ff93dd951df07bb3ab87f504ee2fe.jpg

While it no longer has it. They did show off a Hot Wheels label on Side Swipers at one point. Now, that being said it would not surprise me that they used that without paying for it first. They did steal assets and text from 3 games, and passed two of those off as finished games until they were outed for it.

I would also like to amend me earlier statement. Intellivision is more like the 49ers who in the beginning looked good but messed up by not getting the simplest thing done. Like FCC certs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rayik said:

You know, in theory, I have no issue with pushing a concept like that. It's hyperbolic and all that, but not necessarily untrue in the sense that, if it worked the way it was originally envisioned, having a screen-based controller as the default *could* make it possible to play games in a way you can't, by default, on other platforms. (And whether that way would be "better" is entirely up for debate, but not really relevant.)

Now, the REAL issue in my opinion with that is that for your cornerstone technology, you better damned well make sure said technology works properly with minimal latency BEFORE you even announce the system. I would LOVE to see the timeline of what tests, if any, were done, before any announcements were made, or if they decided on a feature-set FIRST and then figured the rest would sort itself out after with the technology (sort of like another infamous console where step 1 was securing the molding for the case).

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I would LOVE to see the timeline of what tests, if any, were done, before any announcements were made

I'm sure somewhere sometime someplace some engineer said it works. What more is needed?

14 hours ago, rayik said:

Tommy was blatantly lying about most of the licenses and "partnerships" he claimed to have. The majority of games/franchises suggested to Tommy both on AtariAge and in his Youtube streams/interviews, Tommy responded by saying that they either had it or were "in talks" to get it. Simply cased on nothing more than the sheer amount of times Tommy said it, it was clearly not true. Fans even noticed that Tommy was somehow magically on top of every single suggestion, but didn't think anything of it...

9AB8opS.png

When they did the event at the Crayola place Tommy announced it by saying they had "partnered" with Crayola (and included the Crayola logo in the Start Engine page in the "partnerships" section), yet someone contacted Crayola themselves who said that was not the case and that they do not do "partnerships". All they did was pay their fee to host an event there, which literally anyone can do, and Tommy claimed that they and Crayola were partners.

Tommy hugely exaggerated or just flat out lied about every single possible aspect of Amico. It seems to be a problem that Tommy's had for many years. Telling the truth is something Tommy clearly forgot how to do (or just lost interest in doing) a long time ago.

Edited by SteveTheColecoDude
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/11/2024 at 9:40 AM, MrBeefy said:

I mean Amico is so far gone have any of the diehard Amicolytes like mrme and company asked why Farkle, BackTalk, and Skiing aren't on the roadmap? They were suppose to be pack-ins ready almost 4 years ago? My guess is they weren't done or they didn't pay. They want to talk about POSITIVITY only and ignored that most of them participated in toxic stupidity. And that's coming from a guy who acts like a hyperbolic silly idiot on the internet. So, they dumb.

The developer of Back Talk Party did an interview a couple of years ago and talked about the status of the two Amico games they did (Blank Slate the other). They were working with the phone app controller long ago, and updates as per changes to the hardware controller firmware. Another question might be who owns the game. People were playing Amico Skiing in 2021 but the multiplayer part still needed some changes at that time. Changes could have always been pushed out after release. The packins didn't have to be ready almost four years ago, they would have had to be ready for manufacturing, which never happened.

Amico Home roadmap? Haven't seen it but the Amico Home audience is different than the target audience they initially talked about. Amico Home also has some constraints that could make porting certain games to it more work. Diehard? Never been and still not interested in getting any of the games.

22 hours ago, rayik said:

You don't think they had a deal with Atari. It was about the same time that the M-network games came out on the Atari Flashback Classics Vol 3 and removed from the Flashback hardware. Most other titles announced shouldn't have been hard to licence. One of the IP holders was present at the reveal presentation. The one I wondered about was the Imagic agreement, although I didn't think you need permission to remake an Imagic game.

12 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

You know, in theory, I have no issue with pushing a concept like that. It's hyperbolic and all that, but not necessarily untrue in the sense that, if it worked the way it was originally envisioned, having a screen-based controller as the default *could* make it possible to play games in a way you can't, by default, on other platforms. (And whether that way would be "better" is entirely up for debate, but not really relevant.)

Now, the REAL issue in my opinion with that is that for your cornerstone technology, you better damned well make sure said technology works properly with minimal latency BEFORE you even announce the system. I would LOVE to see the timeline of what tests, if any, were done, before any announcements were made, or if they decided on a feature-set FIRST and then figured the rest would sort itself out after with the technology (sort of like another infamous console where step 1 was securing the molding for the case).

At minimum Amico games require modifications to be ported to other systems. Player setup typically uses the controller display to facilitate joining an ongoing game without interrupting play. In some cases a game feature might be lost as we saw with the ports of Amico Shark Shark and Astrosmash.

They really shouldn't have announced the system at all until they were ready to manufacture. We knew they didn't have a prototype when they did announce it in 2018. They were working with a hardware consultant prior to that and he did deliver a working prototype controller in 2019. Which they apparently did over with another firmware engineer in 2020.

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

You don't think they had a deal with Atari. It was about the same time that the M-network games came out on the Atari Flashback Classics Vol 3 and removed from the Flashback hardware. Most other titles announced shouldn't have been hard to licence. One of the IP holders was present at the reveal presentation. The one I wondered about was the Imagic agreement, although I didn't think you need permission to remake an Imagic game.

Correct.  Just lots of talk.  

IE did not license M-Network from Atari.  Atari purchased the M-Network catalog from IE. 

Edited by rayik

36 minutes ago, rayik said:

IE did not license M-Network from Atari.  Atari purchased the M-Network catalog from IE. 

Atari Interactive acquired the M-network games in 2023. Back in 2018, Atari licensed twelve M-network games from Intellivision Entertainment and Intellivision Entertainment licensed twelve Atari titles from Atari Interactive. It could have been a straight exchange of licences, no money involved.

17 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I'd take odds it was that SHOOT FIRST no consequences later,  way of doing things...  (heh)

With Tommy,  he seemed big on "say Anything" talking points.  My first thought of "What if the controller doesn't work right?" was literally met with "Try it before you buy it!  What a concept!"  IF that had been true,  nobody could argue.

Mike Kennedy on the other hand,  said things,...Almost philosophical things, wondering aloud about what Chameleon could be?  And what could it become?  That told me,  either this guy has no prototype or he somehow doesn't know anything about it;  The latter of which made no sense at all...

PS If either of these guys had been more inclined to tell the truth;  they may have gotten some help or at least some sympathy later...

2 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

The video doesn't work for me. (MIME type not supported, etc.)

"I love you Tommy!" -Mike Mullis

Now you've got the quote without needing to see his face as he spit out that awkwardness! Lucky you.

I always thought he only said it that one time at the end of his long one-on-one stream with Tommy, but no... not just once... and Tommy never responds, in fact he's looking off in some other direction. I've heard people talk about secondhand-embarrassment before but never knew what they meant until now. If I toss a warm comment at somebody and they don't reciprocate - hell, don't even respond - I feel silly and back off. He straight up hits Tommy with the L-word, meanwhile Tommy's just waiting until he can start talking again.

Edit: My original post loads the clip as audio despite showing me video when I posted it. Just Google the guy's name + "I love you Tommy" if you care to witness multiple instances of one-sided affection for some reason, I'm not gonna go out of my way to further embarrass the dude here.

Edited by Biff Burgertime
see edit
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Reminds me of that hilarious scene:

According to an old friend I caught up with last year, she once told me "I love you" to which I responded "Thank you." I guess she had a huge crush on me at the time so my choice of reply was devastating (I don't even remember the interaction, heh). If she was following this fiasco, she'd now realize it could've been worse!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Wayler said:

I'm sure somewhere sometime someplace some engineer said it works. What more is needed?

14 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

FCC certs? 🤷‍♂️

Their in luck because our resident donut said they got them because one engineer confirmed they did not have them completed!

7 hours ago, rayik said:

I still find it hilarious that Atari owns as much Mattel Intellivision stuff as Intellivision does. 🤣

Also funny is how Intellivision and its Amicolytes still just have a lot of talk. Wild Bill on FB group has been saying a lot of dumb stuff again. Amico Home should be even more popular than if they released the physical console. Since those 3.2 billion they were targeting can now access them on the device they already use. I guess that DATA they have wasn't worth a hill of beans.

Screenshot_20240213_061318_GooglePlayStore.thumb.jpg.a2e4bfb81c92b6d7233c95913609b451.jpg

Screenshot_20240213_061417_GooglePlayStore.thumb.jpg.e2051a863a70ba3b8263745477512eed.jpg

Screenshot_20240213_061431_GooglePlayStore.thumb.jpg.f3a928bdb6a4ac11cd18e579d59f9949.jpg

Screenshot_20240213_061442_GooglePlayStore.thumb.jpg.a7aed35e1322b9ccfc356eaadee9294d.jpg

Arrested Development Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Edited by MrBeefy
  • Haha 4

Not surprised the Amico Home games are not selling well. Those that listen to TT know there is no reason to buy them as TT said that most Amico games cannot be played on mobile devices.  

The games they are releasing must be the most mobile friendly of the 40 TT said were done at the time of the original 202 release date.  Wonder what the other 35 are like.

image_2024-02-13_072511985.png

Edited by rayik
  • Haha 4