IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

18 minutes ago, Rev said:

These RFID gift card code in a box were a bad idea, not user friendly at all, and need internet every time you tap them. Lame.

They're only a bad idea if they ever follow up with actual games.🙂

If, on the other hand, the idea was just to quickly chuck some product out to make it look to potential investors and customers that the console was nearly ready... it still wasn't a great idea, but they managed to fool at least some of them for a bit longer.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MattPilz said:

And specifically they point to intellivision.com. If the domain ever changes hands or dissolves (as it has several times just in the past decade) that won't be great. This is assuming they get the back-end tech figured out to do something other than redirect to a placeholder page. Maybe that's where NFT can come in and save the day since these game licenses are supposed to be in some blockchain?

I generally agree. Though I can think of other reasons to take it offline including parents concerned their kids might try to buy other apps and so forth. The UI demo didn't showcase any parental modes or account restrictions, and it features store games in the same screen as purchased titles making it easy to wind up in the store. The online leaderboards aren't expected to be live on launch, either.

Just because they haven't shown it doesn't mean purchasing games isn't protected by default.  And if parents decide to leave it offline then kids will have to get up off the sofa to use their rfid games.

9 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

This is what it looks like, but with numbers instead of Xs.

Screenshot_20220810-213156_Reddit.thumb.jpg.e9009bdd0dde76f3a4a00ba4201310d3.jpg

There is no special encryption. The rfid will direct Amico to a wrbpage and the numbers are the activation key. 

If they let their domain name lapse you will never be able to use those cards. You could easily clone every rfid without ever ruining the shrink-wrap. The console would never know as long as it has a correct number string in it.

The system doesn't necessarily have to be programmed to use that url.  A url isn't necessary at all.  Only one code is needed to identify the card, if their systems have records of serials produced, or two codes if they don't.  The url is helpful to direct people to their website who independently scan the card.  It also allows a way to find the serial number if the number printed on the label gets worn off or damaged.  I know someone has identified an old rfid chip that's been out of production for a while.  Newer chips have more capability.

8 hours ago, Rev said:

These RFID gift card code in a box were a bad idea, not user friendly at all, and need internet every time you tap them. Lame.

Internet is needed the first time they're used on a system. After that the rfid cards can be used offline.  Very user friendly, just a tap when prompted.

8 hours ago, Rev said:

Sure Im biased and love actual real physical media. Look at what Evercade is doing with their games.  Cartridges and boxes at great prices. No need for internet…….Amico could of had that. Oh well. 

They could have put a media slot in the Amico, but it would be something that the vast majority of their target audience wouldn't use.  For the Evercade, the physical media is it's distinguishing feature and how it's able to find a niche among retro video game collectors.

Edited by mr_me

8 hours ago, Rev said:

Sure Im biased and love actual real physical media. Look at what Evercade is doing with their games.  Cartridges and boxes at great prices. No need for internet…….Amico could of had that. Oh well. 

end rant.

😜😜

7C6B9CB7-6B07-403A-9B97-9D69CBE65D36.jpeg

This is perfectly spot on to all I would have wanted from the Amico as well.

But they had to try to make it so many things it didn't need to be,complicate it and thus make it more expensive and more importantly, impossible to actually get out to all of us that wanted one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

Just because they haven't shown it doesn't mean purchasing games isn't protected by default.  And if parents decide to leave it offline then kids will have to get up off the sofa to use their rfid games.

The system doesn't necessarily have to be programmed to use that url.  A url isn't necessary at all.  Only one code is needed to identify the card, if their systems have records of serials produced, or two codes if they don't.  The url is helpful to direct people to their website who independently scan the card.  It also allows a way to find the serial number if the number printed on the label gets worn off or damaged.  I know someone has identified an old rfid chip that's been out of production for a while.  Newer chips have more capability.

In the quote above, everything above after the bold type is an assumption.

Here are some more conclusions based on the exact same assumptions:

• Just because they haven't shown it doesn't mean purchased games are not protected by default.  Since they are protected by default, if parents decide to leave it offline then kids will not be able to play their games until it is online again.

• The system doesn't necessarily have to be programmed to use that url. However, the url and serial number on the RFID card is necessary to download the game. The url is used to direct people to their server so they can download the game.  The serial number verifies that it is a valid purchase.  If the backend server is unavailable, the game will not be able to be downloaded and thus is unplayable.

Both are equally valid.  Both are just totally made up.  One is more likely than the other depending on whether you truly, truly believe.

What IE has accomplished or not accomplished is more accurate than any assumptions.

Edited by rayik
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, digdugnate said:

Stop me if you guys have heard this one before.  Getting ready to come to Kickstarter... the UDU! 

https://udugames.com/

It's a console that controls mobile games with physical gestures.

Maybe I have a touch of dyslexia, but I read that as "Dud Games."

Most of the video gamers I know don't want to be outside or active. Maybe they can attach some Pokemon licensing to this and it will take off though. Or Cornhole, Evel Knievel, or Harlem Globetrotters, for the 1970s babies. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, rayik said:

In the quote above, everything above after the bold type is an assumption.

Here are some more conclusions based on the exact same assumptions:

• Just because they haven't shown it doesn't mean purchased games are not protected by default.  Since they are protected by default, if parents decide to leave it offline then kids will not be able to play their games until it is online again.

• The system doesn't necessarily have to be programmed to use that url. However, the url and serial number on the RFID card is necessary to download the game. The url is used to direct people to their server so they can download the game.  The serial number verifies that it is a valid purchase.  If the backend server is unavailable, the game will not be able to be downloaded and thus is unplayable.

Both are equally valid.  Both are just totally made up.  One is more likely than the other depending on whether you truly, truly believe.

What IE has accomplished or not accomplished is more accurate than any assumptions.

No, we've been told that games installed, including rfid based games will continue to work when offline.

People are saying it's using the url.  That's something that is unknown.  The fact that the system doesn't have to use the URL is not made up. The mechanism for download can all come from the system, all it needs is to id the card.  That is not made up at all.  This is only in response to people's assumptions.  If people don't make assumptions, these explanations wouldn't be necessary.

• Confused 3

11 hours ago, 1980gamer said:

I haven't tried to scan any of the games.  Based on above.  The URL was Intellivision.Com   So, you HAVE scanned and it is Intellivision.com/xxxxxxxx  ?

That can't be right.  I thought Intellivision was supposed to be "family friendly?!" 😄

Seriously though, all this talk about NFT, you and I know it refers to downloadable content, but when it pertains to IE, I think it really means "no friggin' truth!" 🙄 🤣

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Rev said:

end rant.

😜😜

7C6B9CB7-6B07-403A-9B97-9D69CBE65D36.jpeg

OH BOY WORMS!!!

image.jpeg.ee76c5984593294d753b2053fcb5d249.jpeg

Edited by atarifan88

51 minutes ago, mr_me said:

No, we've been told that games installed, including rfid based games will continue to work when offline.

People are saying it's using the url.  That's something that is unknown.  The fact that the system doesn't have to use the URL is not made up. The mechanism for download can all come from the system, all it needs is to id the card.  That is not made up at all.  This is only in response to people's assumptions.  If people don't make assumptions, these explanations wouldn't be necessary.

This is Flying Spaghetti Monster logic. 

You also don't know that there isn't a miniature Playstation 5 inside every Amico case, or that Intellivision Entertainment didn't send out "Golden Tickets" made of solid gold. 

There are assumptions, and there are extrapolations from known facts. 

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, mr_me said:

If people don't make assumptions, these explanations wouldn't be necessary.

You never assume? Every single one of your posts rely on the assumption that Tommy or current Intellivision is telling the truth. You assume Tommy has the know-how or experience to even comment on anything technical in origin. Even though you've been shown a mountain of extremely factual evidence to the contrary, you continue to assume in favor of this scam. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

57 minutes ago, zapzapzac said:

You never assume? Every single one of your posts rely on the assumption that Tommy or current Intellivision is telling the truth. You assume Tommy has the know-how or experience to even comment on anything technical in origin. Even though you've been shown a mountain of extremely factual evidence to the contrary, you continue to assume in favor of this scam. 

If I'm reporting what's been said that's not any assumption, it is what was said.  People here were asking what they said about the RFID process for users. Believe it, don't believe it, it has nothing to do with me. I've already questioned what they've said about typing in the serial number under a certain scenario because I don't see how it helps.  We can wait until this thing is released or we can have these discussions.

On 8/8/2022 at 10:05 PM, MarioMan88 said:

They are not giving refunds back to people who have requested THEIR money back. 

That my forum friend is fraud…..

Owing money is not fraud, it's a breach of contract but it's not fraud.  Going bankrupt is not a crime.  Is there a place tracking outstanding refund requests.

Edited by mr_me

13 hours ago, Rev said:

Well my disappointment is how the idea devolved so much since 2019. Originally it was teased as actual physical games and even possibly cartridges ("Don't count out cartridges just yet. ;)" -Tommy) then was supposed to be a more big box style pack with posters and developer-signed items.

It is unfortunate how easily scratched the RFID cards are too. They aren't made with the hard gloss plastic that traditional credit cards and gift cards use, instead a matte finish (just brushing the back of my fingernail across is enough to scratch and indent it). The plastic inset of the boxes have four divots in the corners that seem built specifically to accommodate latches that the front cover could have to snap shut, but the front is just thin cardboard and nothing was added to take advantage of that. So when you unwrap the boxes they won't properly close again. The holographic cards were a missed opportunity to do something more interesting, as the pseudo perspective the 2-3 frames show is really barely noticeable and just looks blurry, they should've shown different scenes/levels for each frame of the lenticular cards to show off that tech more interestingly.

47 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Is there a place tracking outstanding refund requests.

No, and based on Intellivision's own lack of response when refunds are requested (even until the end of disputes with credit card companies or PayPal) I'm not convinced they are tracking any of that even internally. If they are, they sure aren't forthcoming about it. That's what I always said bothered me the most was the lack of any response even as a heads up that they are 'x' number of refunds behind and are processing 'x' number of them per week. There was nothing and I waited 16 days after requesting one at the email Phil provided, then 10 days in formal dispute. I've seen better customer service from one person start-ups even when they are in tumultuous times. Not having an official customer service staffer anymore doesn't mean someone couldn't be monitoring the email Phil told everyone to contact to respond.

Edited by MattPilz
  • Like 2