IGNORED

AtariAge Forum Upgrade / Migration on Tuesday, August 9th

Albert

4 hours ago, firebottle said:

Probably means we're going to have to "upgrade" our browsers and OS to the latest versions to use the forum...

No, there's nothing at all in these latest versions that would require you to upgrade either of those things, assuming the browser you're using right now is working fine with the forum as it exists today.

..Al

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I also hope there isn't too much (anti)social media idiocy creeping into AtariAge (or at least can be fully disabled). The current likes are IMO completely sufficient.

It should not be any different than what's already present on the forum today.

..Al

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nathan Strum said:

This would be a good time for ZPH to have an absolutely massive marathon to keep us entertained

We're already playing every single Atari 2600 game ever made, you need more? Hahahah. ?

Hmm... since I spend most of my waking hours on the AA forums, maybe I will have more free time! I might have an idea...

- James

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Albert said:

such as being able to delete quote boxes

I click on the move gadget in the upper left when you hover over a quote and press the DEL key.  Or is that not the problem?  Deleting spoilers is a problem I have... still cannot crack that nut.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

I click on the move gadget in the upper left when you hover over a quote and press the DEL key.  Or is that not the problem?  Deleting spoilers is a problem I have... still cannot crack that nut.

Took me a while to figure out how to delete the spoiler and quote boxes, they both should work in the same way though, example below:

- James

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

If I were moving a forum of my own to a cloud-based solution, I'd be concerned about maintenance fees from Invision. I'm curious to know if the cloud-based version will be more costly for you, Albert, or less costly compared to the current forums.

It's a flat rate per month, and less if paid annually (which I will be doing).  It'll probably work out to be a bit less expensive, especially once I also get the store moved into the cloud (with a different company, and it will be so much nicer than the current store).  Both of these services include the hosting and licensing, both of which I've been paying for separately before.  And there are some things I will no longer need to pay for, such as the $20/month subscription for Cloudflare.  I also get access to email support, which I no longer have with the self-hosted solution.  There should be no hidden fees at all.

The big question mark for me is how performant the forum will be with their solution.  I will be watching that carefully over the first month, and Invision should be able to help if there are specific aspects of the forum that are loading slowly.  If, in the end, it ends up being slower and/or more problematic in other ways, I can easily (enough) move the forum back to the self-hosted solution.

It should be a win overall in terms of cost, speed, reliability, my not needing to manage physical servers, and keeping the forum (and store, once that's migrated) up to date software-wise.

..Al

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Albert said:

It works fine on desktop, try doing it on your phone or tablet. :D

..Al

I've noticed with iOS 15.6, clicking the little 'X' boxes in the upper left on a quote box doesn't always work. Same with trying to delete emoticons, which rarely if ever actually works. Find I need to switch to my desktop computer most of the time when needing to perform such edits. 

In iOS 15.6, when trying to delete an emoticon, need to tap around the screen to see if you can bring up the cursor in the right place if you're lucky - then delete that way. Simply clicking on the emoticon, then tapping delete doesn't work. Even if it gets highlighted or brings up the little box with an 'x'. 

BTW: talking about using the AA desktop theme/skin on an iPad. I never use a mobile theme, or a phone when AtariAging.  ?

• Like 1

Yeah, the editor is not perfect on mobile, that's for sure.  However, I always use the mobile skin when on my phone, I don't force it to use the desktop skin.  Shouldn't really make any difference, though, as it's the same editor.  I will have to play with it on Invision's site using my phone to see if managing the quote boxes is any easier, and I can also play with emoticons.  I would hope it's been improved in this area, since the editor I'm using right now is over two years out of date.

..Al

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, hloberg said:

Migrating from one system to another is defiantly an insomnia inducing proposition.

That was definitely the case when I did the last big forum upgrade/migration in June, 2019.  That one was a bit of a nightmare to get done, partially as the forum software changed from 3.4.x to 4.4.x and it was basically a complete rewrite as of 4.0, and I definitely did not get any sleep the night when I began that upgrade/move.  There were so many issues to deal with, and the forum upgrade script would repeatedly fail and I had to dig into it myself to discern why it was failing and then figure out how to work around it (which generally involved directly modifying their upgrade scripts).  Invision refused to help me at some point, so I had to go at it alone, and I was pretty pissed off about that at the time.  And the upgrade script would have to run for a while before you'd get to the point where it would fail, so it was not a quick iterative process.  I'd fix one thing, then it'd get further, only to fail in some other unique way. 

It also took about a month's work in advance just getting ready for that move (to a new server) and forum upgrade.  I also had to update the store at the same time. 

Ugh, I'm going to get PTSD thinking about it again.

..Al

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

We're already playing every single Atari 2600 game ever made, you need more? Hahahah. ?

Hmm... since I spend most of my waking hours on the AA forums, maybe I will have more free time! I might have an idea...

- James

I know! Every 7800 game ever made? :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I know! Every 7800 game ever made? :D

I've actually scheduled that for 2026 in celebration of the 40th Anniversary of the retail release of the 7800! No... seriously... I just added it to the list the other day. ?

What I'll be doing during the AtariAge Forum transition is a run to regain my title for the world record on Wall Jump Ninja, wish me luck!!!

- James

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Albert said:

I also get access to email support, which I no longer have with the self-hosted solution.

THIS pisses me off.  There are several software companies with which I work for customers who are cloud-averse.  The companies provide self-hosted options, you pay more for self-hosted options, but you get damn near zero support.  Not a support issue, but I self-host the storage back-end for my N-Able backups (servers and workstations,) and I get no break on my license fees.

Sorry, not meaning to start going off-topic, I just hate to see people getting hosed on things like this.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

THIS pisses me off.  There are several software companies with which I work for customers who are cloud-averse.  The companies provide self-hosted options, you pay more for self-hosted options, but you get damn near zero support.  Not a support issue, but I self-host the storage back-end for my N-Able backups (servers and workstations,) and I get no break on my license fees.

Sorry, not meaning to start going off-topic, I just hate to see people getting hosed on things like this.

Yeah, I and others suspect that Invision ultimately wants to wean people off the self-hosted solutions, expecting that they are making more money from the cloud services.  I mean, I am going to be paying Invision around ten times as much yearly as I do now.  I think they have also introduced some functionality that only works on their cloud-based clients as well, and I know some people weren't too happy about that.  Invision basically moved their previous ticket support system to a public forum where you have to post your issue publicly and wait for staff and/or people in the community to answer.  Not really ideal, in my opinion.  It seems that cloud-based customers get email support, and self-hosted customers definitely do not. 

..Al

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Hi Al,

Any chance of getting reactions added to PM, as was talked about here:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/299601-reactions-in-pms/

Any chance that the Topic Preview will gain the old "first unread" tab that was in the old software?

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/292144-forum-upgrade-today-june-15th-please-read/?do=findComment&comment=4302297

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/292144-forum-upgrade-today-june-15th-please-read/?do=findComment&comment=4302539

thanks

24 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

That’s going to be offset by not having to acquire and maintain server hardware, I hope? Will you still have bandwidth charges or will their hosting take over that, too? 

Yes, what I'm paying Invision includes hosting, so I will not need to pay for hosting separately once I relinquish the dedicated servers I currently lease.  Except for third-party apps and plugins for the forum, but I already pay for those anyway.  Ultimately I'd like to write my own apps and plugins, and then make those available for others in Invision's Marketplace.

..Al

Hello Albert, guys

21 hours ago, Albert said:

... looks like I will need to take the forum down late Monday evening ...  The work will actually begin in the middle of the night US time, and with any luck I'll be able to get the forum back online earlier in the day.  This will result in less downtime for US visitors.

"Middle of the night" in the US would be during the morning and afternoon in Europe I guess.  That's when a lot of us overhere are working.  Damn, now I have to think of something else to do at work... :-D

Sincerely

Mathy

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4