IGNORED

AtariAge Forum Upgrade / Migration on Tuesday, August 9th

Albert

2 hours ago, Albert said:

I do plan on posting updates here as well once the forum is taken down, but that will be a read-only type thing that people cannot interact with.

..Al

For reals?

Cool.  I was joking, of course, but if you intend to leave the AA forum up in read-only mode to display updates, then that's great! :)

That beats having to hit "REFRESH" on the new URL every 10 seconds to see if it is up.  I just have to hit "REFRESH" on this page every 10 seconds to see if there are any updates, instead.  Progress!

-dZ.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DZ-Jay said:

Cool.  I was joking, of course, but if you intend to leave the AA forum up in read-only mode to display updates, then that's great! :)

The forum will not be up, it will be offline, but I can put a detailed message there that everyone will see while the migration is taking place to the new server. And I can keep that updated periodically.

That beats having to hit "REFRESH" on the new URL every 10 seconds to see if it is up.  I just have to hit "REFRESH" on this page every 10 seconds to see if there are any updates, instead.  Progress!

You'll just need to refresh https://atariage.com/forums/ periodically. :D

..Al

• Like 2

Finally, last word:

Will The Atari Report be able to have its own individual thread (of each individual edition in their designated forums) rather than have individual threads for each episode within each edition (2600, 5200, 7800, and 8-Bit editions respectively in each of those named individual forums) should I ever want to relaunch the series in which I just might do perhaps in the upcoming calendar year??? 

I figure that since I will be out of the music business after AK47 runs his course with his final (second album as AK47, fourth album overall) record "Still Ruthless", at the end of the year that i can maybe refocus on perhaps bringing it back and spending more time with it and utilizing many of the various tips others here gave me on how to improve my presentation skills on it.

The Atari Report will be better than ever if and when we do relaunch it, including a brand new custom "AR" logo, in which I drew up a do-me-up scheme of for my manager to create, the left side being the left half of the famous Fuji logo, the right side being the "R" from the "ATARI" wordmark in the same font as on the XEGS console front. The logo and also the presentation of "THE ATARI REPORT" alongside it will look great!!! Len Enders knows what he is doing!!! :) It's worth trying, what have I got to lose???

1909186032_TheAtariReportLogoPrototypeThumbnail.jpg.d618f7863e05cd9fba3204fb53b942ad.jpg

...and yes the famous "World News Tonight" soundtracks from Edd Kalehoff and the familiar voiceover of myself you currently hear will continue to grace each edition of TAR!!!

Same request goes also for ColecoVision EXTRA! as well for when that series is launched in the C-V forums.

11098949_ColecoVisionExtraLogo-HDScreenWallpaper.jpg.d6286a28cac52d1f0ba509a35ec7eeaa.jpg

.....and @Albert, good luck with the transition, hope it goes through smoothly.

1 hour ago, Albert said:

The forum will not be up, it will be offline, but I can put a detailed message there that everyone will see while the migration is taking place to the new server. And I can keep that updated periodically.

Ah, I see that you were using a slightly more liberal definition of "here."  ?

1 hour ago, Albert said:

You'll just need to refresh https://atariage.com/forums/ periodically. :D

..Al

Gotcha! ?

Thanks for all the support.  I hope it all goes well.

I'm sort of looking forward to the upgrade, but with a bit of trepidation about what it would change in practice.  I'm getting to old and my brittle little mind does not seem to accept change very well. ?

Godspeed!

-dZ.

Ah, I see that you were using a slightly more liberal definition of "here."  ?

Well, technically, if you try to go to this thread, you'll just be directed to the "Oh crap, the forum is offline!" page anyway.

Thanks for all the support.  I hope it all goes well.

Thank you, I already hope it goes well!  I did a test earlier of tar'ing the entire forum file structure, and it took an hour and a half to tar up 773GB of files. So I'm likely going to take the forum down around midnight CST so I can tar all the files and dump the database.  Then try to get some sleep and wonder when I wake up temporarily wonder why there have been no notification emails from the forum overnight.  ;)

3 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

I'm sort of looking forward to the upgrade, but with a bit of trepidation about what it would change in practice.  I'm getting to old and my brittle little mind does not seem to accept change very well. ?

Same, there are various improvements, bug fixes, and new features.  Lots of additional administration / moderation improvements as well.  This upgrade should not be as jolting as the one from 3.4.x to 4.4.x, as Invision completely rewrote the forum software at 4.0.  We're only going from 4.4.x to 4.7 this time, but it's still a few years worth of changes.  And it's not nearly as jarring as moving to completely new forum software. 

We started with Ultimate Bulletin Board (UBB) back in 2001 (which was written in Perl and not that great), then moved to phpBB, and then a few years later jumped to Invision.  The move from UBB to phpBB was a huge improvement.  Same with phpBB to Invision, which had considerably more features and was more reliable than phpBB at the time.  Looks like UBB is pretty stagnant at this point (looks like work stopped in fall of 2020). phpBB is still actively being developed, but from what I've seen in the past, development looks pretty slow. Of course Invision is still being worked on.  No idea how vBulletin is doing, tons of people jumped ship from them years ago, and developers left as well to form xenForo, which is pretty popular. 

Forums have definitely declined in popularity thanks to social media, and in particular Facebook.  But they definitely have a place, given the difficulty in having meaningful, long-term discussions on topics on Facebook.  Some forums still do well, others have seen significant declines.  It'll be interesting to see how this evolves down the road.

..Al

• Like 3

Also @Albert, you might want to thunk about this, will AtariAge FINALLY (and I have been a member of these forums for almost 20 years here on AA) launch a mobile app (available in both the App Store and Google Play), my old 2016 iPhone SE dies on me last week and I am looking to get either an iPhone 12 mini or 13 mini, and how cool would it be that AA have not only that but also perhaps official AtariAge-branded merchandise (T-shirts/bumper stickers/headwear/coffee mugs/swag, etc.), it's all for good publicity, to draw attention to the undisputed #1 retro-gaming website and its family of forums, I myself plan to do the same for both my BIGHMW namesake and my entire BIGHMW network of websites too in the short future (as early as early-mid-2023) too.

• Haha 1

Just now, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I suppose you greatly underestimate the amount of work required for such an app.

I think there is already an app for AA.  It's got a weird name, let me check ...

Yup, on my iPhone it's called Safari.  Maybe it's because of Albert's known predilection for hunting big game. *shrug*

-dZ.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I suppose you greatly underestimate the amount of work required for such an app.

Easy peasy.  Load up the page in your mobile browser, tap on the three dots (not the three shells,) tap "Add To Home Screen."  How is that a lot of work?

Anyway, I had a grumble thought a few minutes ago about how after the last migration I needed to re-do some of my blogs (not that I have a lot, anyway.)  So, "Don't taze my blogs, bro!"

5 hours ago, Albert said:

Forums have definitely declined in popularity thanks to social media, and in particular Facebook.  But they definitely have a place, given the difficulty in having meaningful, long-term discussions on topics on Facebook.  Some forums still do well, others have seen significant declines.  It'll be interesting to see how this evolves down the road.

The niche and controlled nature of forums and bulletin boards helps keeps things on-topic, if you will.

Well, I hope things go better for you and your crew than these poor souls:

• Haha 1

Just now, eightbit said:

Good luck with everything Al!

Thank you!  I've been doing the legwork and testing for the work I have to do once the forum goes down, so hopefully that aspect of it goes smoothly.  Once I hand the data off to Invision, it's out of my hands for some time.  They will begin work around 3am CST, and it'll probably be a while before I hear anything.  With any luck, it'll go smoothly on their end, but it's rare for a process like this to not have some hiccups!  I am excited to get this done, though!  :D

..Al

• Like 4